Endometrial ablation + mirena--anyone done this?

I recently had an endometrial biopsy and then an ultrasound to check out perimenopausal symptoms. Everything's fine, but an ablation was suggested to me to help reduce or eliminate some of the symptoms. They also want to put in a mirena iud at the same time, to extend the effectiveness of the ablation.

I'm pretty sure I don't want the mirena for a number of reasons, but then the office really doesn't want to do the ablation without it.

Anyone had an ablation and/or exerience with the mirena?
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I had the ablation done about 15 years ago. It was not bad. I had it done on a Thursday and was back to work
on Monday. I was drugged up for 2 days but it was an easy recovering and no problems. Don't be scared.

Last edited by ...; 07-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.
They gave me literature on both the ablation and the mirena, and I've done some googling. They pegged me right away as someone who wants to know everything about a procedure before I'll agree to it.

My main concern about the ablation is that my uterus is tipped. I'm afraid they might puncture the uterus.

They're pushing the mirena because they say the ablation will only last about 5 years, and I probably won't be in menopause by then. With the iud they think the ablation should get me through menopause. They're projecting menopause about 8 to 10 years out. I don't want the mirena because I've never had children and even though it's a low dose hormone supply, I haven't responded well to hormones in the past. Also, if that's the route I choose, I'd rather try it out with pills which I could just stop taking, than with a device that the doctor would have to remove. The mirena scares me way more than the ablation.
formerly Castella
My uterus is tipped too. I had my tubes tied so
I did not need any type of BC.
My doctor was suggesting this to me today due to my on going stomach pains since Sept. I still didn't quite understand what Endometrial ablation.

When I'm on my last row of birth control pills the pain would start small and tight almost like I ate something bad. I did have a 6cm ovarian cyst which most of the doctors I visited believed that was the source of the problem. In 5 mins time my stomach(right above the pelvic) starts swelling up, hot/cold flashes, weak in my entire body where I can't walk, numbness in some areas on the body. The pain would come in waves. Does these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Could this be endometriosis? It's almost like I'm forced to take the birth control pill and not miss not one day or my uterus wall inflames.
Last Relaxer: May 2008
Big chop: Dec. 5,2008
Hair Type: Fine Texture, High Porosity, thick density,
Hair hates: Silicones ,Sulfates,
In Rotation: experimenting...

Last edited by ...; 07-17-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Please, please, please, read this:

http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/?s=mirena

I suffer from hairloss, and have read MANY stories of women who had major hairloss triggered from the
mirena.. AND major blood loss! Not to suggest that your hair is more important than your health, but it is sure unclear to me why you are told the ablation cannot be done without the mirena.

Please be careful.
This is kind of interesting to me since I have had experience with both Mirena and Ablation. You don't say how old you are or what your symptoms are.
When I was in my late 40's my periods were very heavy. this was due to fibroids. I had good relief from that for a year with Mirena. When it was removed, I had major bleeding again. I then had the ablation last year with excellent results. My symptoms were heavy bleeding, not pain or bulk symptoms.
I had not heard of having both Mirena and ablation at the same time, though.
If you are still thinking of having kids,don't even consider an ablation. It pretty much cauterizes the endometrium so there is no way it can safely support a pregnancy. It is often done along with Essure or tubal ligation for this reason.
So ablation is for women who are sure they are past the childbearing phase of life.

Last edited by ...; 07-17-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Hmmm... I had one after removing a fibroid a few years back... and my sister had one to lessen SEVERE menopausal symptoms. Its no big deal. I'm not sure why you need the Mirena? Why arent oral hormones/contraception an option?
The mirena was BAD for me and I couldnty get it out fast enough!

PS, both my sister and I have tipped uteruses and had no complications...
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
My gyno tried to push endometrial ablation 2 years ago during a routine visit. I had mentioned having a typical perimenopausal symptom of heavy periods. Never did she mention combining that with Mirena or anything else. I took the brochure, did my own research and concluded it was not for me. My goal is to manage menopause as naturally as possible and the ablation sounded like more intervention than I personally wanted. I ended up ditching that Doc.

If your doctor's office won't consider the ablation without Mirena, I would get a 2nd opinion.

Last edited by ...; 07-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.
I'm 45, in the US, and they did tell me that ablation is not an option if I want children, which I don't. The ablation would treat symptoms like heavy bleeding, frequency of bleeding etc. As I understand it, it won't necessarily help with cramps or PMS and I don't have any expectation that it would help with mood.

I did ask about the tubal ligation and they said it is rarely done any more since most women opt for the ablation/mirena combo.

My first option is to continue "watchful waiting" and just cope with the symptoms. I already see someone for mood issues. I've always been of the go natural, pick minimally invasive first, but lately I just want this uterus gone!

As for the hair loss, that actually is a major consideration for me because my hair is already thinning and becoming more brittle, even though I use really good hair products and have a good hair routine and eat a good diet.

I have an appointment to meet with the surgeon and just talk about the options. I'd like to know what approach they use for the ablation, since there seem to be so many different ways to go.
formerly Castella

Last edited by ...; 07-17-2010 at 02:12 PM.
My gyno tried to push endometrial ablation 2 years ago during a routine visit. I had mentioned having a typical perimenopausal symptom of heavy periods. Never did she mention combining that with Mirena or anything else. I took the brochure, did my own research and concluded it was not for me. My goal is to manage menopause as naturally as possible and the ablation sounded like more intervention than I personally wanted. I ended up ditching that Doc.

If your doctor's office won't consider the ablation without Mirena, I would get a 2nd opinion.
Originally Posted by misspam
Thanks misspam - that was my point as stated.

I'm not going to get into detail as I got slammed on another post but doctors don't always have your best interest at heart - it's up to "Y-O-U" to make all your own health decisions.
Originally Posted by CurlsALOT
Yes, in my case, I did not think my gyno had my best interests at heart. She did not seem to support my desire to seek more natural relief and wanted me to consider low-dose birth control pills or endometrial ablation. I did have an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound to rule out other causes but they found nothing. A good friend of mine went to the samd doc and was told about the ablation as well for the same symptoms as I had. I felt the office was only interested in medical interventions instead of natural management for an entirely natural phase of a woman's life, so I took my business elsewhere.

I'm 45, in the US, and they did tell me that ablation is not an option if I want children, which I don't. The ablation would treat symptoms like heavy bleeding, frequency of bleeding etc. As I understand it, it won't necessarily help with cramps or PMS and I don't have any expectation that it would help with mood.

I did ask about the tubal ligation and they said it is rarely done any more since most women opt for the ablation/mirena combo.

My first option is to continue "watchful waiting" and just cope with the symptoms. I already see someone for mood issues. I've always been of the go natural, pick minimally invasive first, but lately I just want this uterus gone!

As for the hair loss, that actually is a major consideration for me because my hair is already thinning and becoming more brittle, even though I use really good hair products and have a good hair routine and eat a good diet.

I have an appointment to meet with the surgeon and just talk about the options. I'd like to know what approach they use for the ablation, since there seem to be so many different ways to go.
Originally Posted by Snarls
I would encourage you to look at the links for any information you feel may be helpful in your particular situation. I have found them to be invaluable resources for managing this time of hormonal imbalance, particularly Dr. John R. Lee's book series, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause."

http://www.johnleemd.com/
http://www.womentowomen.com/
http://www.womenlivingnaturally.com/index.php

We all have to do what's right for us and our particular situations. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.
I have no experience with Mirena and know no one who uses it so I have no opinion of that, tho I'm a little leery of it.

Ablation seems to have become very common and seems to be pushed on everyone who has cramps, heavy bleeding, etc. It's been suggested to me but I've refused it. I do have heavy bleeding and other symptoms but it's not going to kill me so I can live with it.
My sister, 2 cousins, and numerous friends have all had ablations done in the last couple years. None of them had any problems with it, but I'm still not convinced that every woman with any type of symptons needs it. I would have to do alot more research before having it done.
But I'm a worry wart and tend to overthink everything so take that into account. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
It sounds like this procedure has become somewhat controversial.... I wonder if this is why I saw one doc who was strongly advising it for me, to alleviate heavy bleeding (caused by a fibroid) ..... only to be told by a subsequent doc that I'm not a candidate for it because of that fibroid! Anybody else confused?

Now, granted, the 2nd doc took a closer look at the location of the fibroid and said that was the issue (how far it was pushing into the lining). But still, I wonder if there's a philosophical difference at play here too. I liked both docs a lot -- both are female gynos with excellent reputations.

Interesting.
Ablation seems to have become very common and seems to be pushed on everyone who has cramps, heavy bleeding, etc.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Yup.
Ablation seems to have become very common and seems to be pushed on everyone who has cramps, heavy bleeding, etc.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Yup.
Originally Posted by misspam
+1

I had really heavy periods for the last two years before they completely ceased in August of 2008. Didn't seem to effect my health at all, but I made sure I took extra iron to make up for extra blood loss. It isn't rocket science.

Trending Topics