Racism: do you think it's going away in the US or making a comeback?

Like Tree89Likes

Having seen and experienced Jim Crow, and lived through the (modern) Civil Rights Movement, I have to say that there are huge changes. Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go, but that doesn't mean we haven't made progress, and I don't think it's helpful to deny the progress that has been made. It was hard fought, and paid for in blood.

Unfortunately, some politicians chose to pander to and incite racial animosity in order to get people to vote against their own interests. It used to be the "Dixiecrats" who did this, back when the Republican party was still true to its roots as the party of Lincoln, but there was a big switcharoo back when LBJ introduced his Great Society programs. They're trying to take advantage of the antagonism racists feel about having a black President, but not only did he get elected, but we elected him twice, and by a better margin the second time. They've been emboldened, but they're not winning themselves any new friends: they just can't see and hear that in their echo chamber. I think it's their last great gasp though.
curlypearl and AngelaE8654 like this.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
Unfortunately racism is not a white-black thing. It hapens in ALL parts of the world with all diferent ethnicities and races. I do believe "tribalism" is something programed in our human nature, maybe a way of passing your dna on, who knows.

I think even if it has improved a lot, the problem has never been handled quiet well. It has been politizied and used for personal and electoral benefits, and I think the quota/positive discrimination and making certain words taboo is not giving good results. The same with the feminist movements.

Things have gone better, but I somehow wish the perspective was changed towards how the LGBT movement fight has been:

Instead of the classic "you have been opressing us for years and you can't call me this or that word because you ofend me and I demand this and this compensation and If you dont agree you are racist",

go for a more: "look just how ridiculous and ignorant fool you are making of yourself by trying to insult me like that, hahahhaha poor creature go back to your cave"

I think the results would be better laughing at ignorants than making them think they are equals in this battle.
curlypearl likes this.
I think that we've made a lot of progress but there is still more that needs to be made. I think part of the problem is that a lot of people are simply afraid to confront the issue.
claudine191 likes this.
I think that a lot of white people are racist against black people. I think a lot of black people are racist against white people. I think if we set any two races against each other we will draw the same conclusion.

Is the majority of people racist against people not of their own race? No. I really do not believe so.

Is racism becoming more "popular". Yes, I believe so and the reason is that current society has a huge drive against anything that is different. I think it has been ever since 9/11. I think society has to roll back the "fear factor" and understand that bad people will do bad things and good people will do good things, and most of us are just trying to get by day to day with the least aggravation.

When you give the public the impression that there are terrorists behind every corner and use it as an excuse to take away rights protecting them. When country's go to war pre-emptively. When cops are told to shoot first and justify it later, then what you have is a broken society and OF COURSE one that is scared of anyone "different".

I think the media and the government really has to own this and start the process of changing this. I think it will take generations to improve. I think they have a lot to answer for. Not that anyone ever will.
noodly and slckrdmnchild like this.
I think that a lot of white people are racist against black people. I think a lot of black people are racist against white people. I think if we set any two races against each other we will draw the same conclusion.

Is the majority of people racist against people not of their own race? No. I really do not believe so.

Is racism becoming more "popular". Yes, I believe so and the reason is that current society has a huge drive against anything that is different. I think it has been ever since 9/11. I think society has to roll back the "fear factor" and understand that bad people will do bad things and good people will do good things, and most of us are just trying to get by day to day with the least aggravation.

When you give the public the impression that there are terrorists behind every corner and use it as an excuse to take away rights protecting them. When country's go to war pre-emptively. When cops are told to shoot first and justify it later, then what you have is a broken society and OF COURSE one that is scared of anyone "different".

I think the media and the government really has to own this and start the process of changing this. I think it will take generations to improve. I think they have a lot to answer for. Not that anyone ever will.
Originally Posted by DorothyDalt
well said
'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
---
Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
what kind of title is this? it's never gone away, it's never going away. I agree with C0de though, too many people are afraid to address this issue and there's a drastic lack of empathy when it comes to any -isms. If people had more empathy, these issues would lessen a lot.
eveum likes this.
CG since Dec. 2013
3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
what kind of title is this? it's never gone away, it's never going away. I agree with C0de though, too many people are afraid to address this issue and there's a drastic lack of empathy when it comes to any -isms. If people had more empathy, these issues would lessen a lot.
Originally Posted by CatitudeBoo
I have to agree with this. I think that humans will continue to be humans,and if you have a situation where two 'different' groups of people exist together, there will be a degree of separation and resulting fear or hostility by the other side.

Sometimes I think that a lot of progress has been made, sometimes I feel incredulous about the attitudes of people living in the world right now. I think that although we can all agree that racism has no place in modern society, we have to remember that the United States is a young country, and events like racial segregation being ruled unconstitutional are not even 50 years old. There is still a lot to be done.

The US is a country built by immigrants, the fact that some people are so privileged, so ignorant, to be so xenophobic about immigration and people of other races makes me laugh.
noodly likes this.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
Racism was never gone and it wont go. Yes, it's a bad thing but so is stealing but that sh*t won't go away either. While I identify as white and pretty much look white(for most people) I have I think experienced a racist hatecrime this week. I was on my bycicle and this dude on his motor cycle/scooter/whatever was yelling "turk turk turk turk"(I'm not even turk lol) and almost ran me over! I don't know why he did that but it proves white people can suffer from racism too lol. Not only this, my brother who is caucasian looking but with a caramel skintone was ran over by an other extreme racist who basically said the same thing to him except with saying the N word. Anyways, when I came home I just had sympathy for all people with dark skin, because they probably have it worse.

I do get annoyed by people who think racism is when someone makes a funny joke or a stereotype. Some stupidheads think racism is when a white person wears dreadlocks. But then again I never get offended.

Last edited by noodly; 11-23-2014 at 02:37 PM.
People get annoyed by Caucasians wearing dreadlocks because of racial appropriation. And it is a thing that people have a right to feel.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
People get annoyed by Caucasians wearing dreadlocks because of racial appropriation. And it is a thing that people have a right to feel.
Originally Posted by eveum
Caucasian cavemen were sporting dreadlocks too. People also have a right to question if the things people are upset about are even valid. In the meantime people are actually dying because of racism. Besides I love dreadlocks on some white people they look so cool and free!


Offtopic but your hair is perfect! I love everything about it, lol.

Last edited by noodly; 11-23-2014 at 01:42 PM.
People get annoyed by Caucasians wearing dreadlocks because of racial appropriation. And it is a thing that people have a right to feel.
Originally Posted by eveum
Caucasian cavemen were sporting dreadlocks too. People also have a right to question if the things people are upset about are even valid. In the meantime people are actually dying because of racism. Besides I love dreadlocks on some white people they look so cool and free!


Offtopic but your hair is perfect! I love everything about it, lol.
Originally Posted by noodly
Matted unkept hair is not the same thing as dreadlocks. Caucasian hair does not 'lock' in the same way as Afro textured hair does. It just doesn't, and it never will. it has to be encouraged or manipulated to do so.

Arguing that people are dying from racism doesn't make things regarding appropriation invalid, like complaints at racist halloween costumes or certain hairstyles. By that logic, being insulted on the basis of your race isn't worth having a discussion over because it doesn't directly pose any physical harm to you. Which you have just directly went against seeing as you have complained about 2 posts ago about being a target of racial predjudice.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
I'm sorry both you and brother had to endure such **it, noodly. Sometimes I feel that if I could apologize for things my race (white) does, I would, and then other times I think, there are people of every race who suck. And who are wonderful. I've learned a lot about racism from being a member of this site (and had some arguments, too), and I think the mistake I made in the past is imagining that my experience resembles that of women of any other race. Because I wouldn't mistreat or not hire someone based on race, I presumed that most people act the same way, and I was wrong. That's not to pat myself on the back for being obliviously "nice" or "fair minded" or excuse my blundering: I often have trouble understanding the actions of others. (And I'm probably a big pia to understand as well.)

It's a terribly tangled issue, and I'm glad both you and yours were unharmed (was your brother okay?).
noodly likes this.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

Last edited by claudine191; 11-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Matted unkept hair is not the same thing as dreadlocks. Caucasian hair does not 'lock' in the same way as Afro textured hair does. It just doesn't, and it never will. it has to be encouraged or manipulated to do so.
Originally Posted by eveum
Caucasians can have 4a hair, just to let you know.......europeans aren't the only caucasians, indians are caucasians too(most of them) and some of them wear the most longest dreads ever. And dreads basically are matted hairstrands, it's your opinion that they look unkept on white people. In my opinion when a white person does dreads correctly I think it looks awesome. By your logic you're actually saying nonwhites can't use internet...it saddens me that a white woman thinks her people are not allowed to wear dreads, just saying. How would a black person feel if a fellow black person would tell him or her that internet is a white thing so blacks cant use it? Confused and discriminated I think. Or how about the fact plenty of black people wear humanhair made of caucasian hair?

And I'm white with dark hair, he apparently thought white people can't have dark hair and that I must be run over because of that. That's first of all way more severe and different than a white or asian girl who just wants dreads because it looks awesome.
She does no harm, lunatic skinheads with scooters or motorcycles do(where I live there's a plague of gross racist motorcyclefolks)

Last edited by noodly; 11-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
I'm sorry both you and brother had to endure such **it, noodly. Sometimes I feel that if I could apologize for things my race (white) does, I would, and then other times I think, there are people of every race who suck. And who are wonderful. I've learned a lot about racism from being a member of this site (and had some arguments, too), and I think the mistake I made in the past is imagining that my experience resembles that of women of any other race. Because I wouldn't mistreat or not hire someone based on race, I presumed that most people act the same way, and I was wrong. That's not to pat myself on the back for being obliviously "nice" or "fair minded" or excuse my blundering: I often have trouble understanding the actions of others. (And I'm probably a big pia to understand as well.)

It's a terribly tangled issue, and I'm glad both you and yours were unharmed (was your brother okay?).
Originally Posted by claudine191
Yes there are sick people in every race! That's why it's impossible for me to prejudice anyone based on race. I'm luckily unharmed and I'm glad my brother survived the accident *phew*
Thanks for your concern by the way!
claudine191 likes this.

Last edited by noodly; 11-23-2014 at 02:25 PM.
It will never go fully away. There will always be ignorant dumbasses. It may lessen or at least be hidden better than it has been in the past (or not judging by the news)....but no, it won't go away....


I'm a white, middle-aged,middle class woman and I will never understand it from the point of being a victim. I cannot fully comprehend why people are racist and how it feels to deal with it. I only know it's disgusting and people (businesses, police) should be severely fined and punished if they do it. Maybe they'll think before they act...
claudine191 and noodly like this.

Last edited by Speckla; 11-23-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: grammar/clarity
Do not 'let me know' anything. Do not talk to me as if I'm ignorant. You know full well that when people say Caucasian, they mean white people. You know, the people who have been enslaving, conquering and destroying indigenous peoples for hundreds of years. So FORGIVE ME if I feel that a little sensitivity must be paid. This issue goes way deeper than just hair, a hairstyle, or just thinking 'ooh dreads look awesome on white people'. I never even gave an opinion on how I think it looks because it's beside the point I was making, which you have repeatedly missed. And again, straight hair does not form dreadlocks naturally. This is completely obvious.

Second of all, what are you talking about in regards to using the internet? I didn't say you or anyone couldn't use the internet, I made a point about how you seemed to disregard a point I made about appropriation because no one was 'dying' from it, yet you complained about being the victim of a racial 'hate crime' in your previous post. By my logic I am saying don't be hypocritical about that, not that 'non-whites can't use the internet'. White people are not 'my people', you are not 'my people', and I don't owe you or any poser who decides to wear dreadlocks anything just because I am white too.

Again, you make no sense with this "How would a black person feel if a fellow black person would tell him or her that internet is a white thing so blacks cant use it?" argument that you keep repeating for some reason. Do not try and put words in my mouth.

'Or how about the fact plenty of black people wear humanhair made of caucasian hair? '

Some black people choose to wear or imitate caucasian hair because they were brought to America by white people. And thus suffered constant discrimination, criticism and downright hatred of their hair. That's WHY. This does not even come CLOSE to white people imitating traditional afro hairstyles. If that is what you are trying to get at then you are woefully obscured by your white privelege. Try a little harder and you might understand this.
slckrdmnchild likes this.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
eveum, I know you're a person with strong feelings, but please remember that we all come at important subjects from different perspectives. Noodly made some good points worth considering, citing hypothetical situations for comparison.

I am going to back out of this conversation now. I hope things remain peaceful.
curlypearl likes this.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
@eveum
"And again, straight hair does not form dreadlocks naturally. This is completely obvious."
Yes, but there are plenty of white people with kinks who can form dreads naturally because they have 3c hair, just like the fact that there are plenty of blacks with straight hair. Are they then allowed to sport dreadlocks? Does a black person with straight hair have ugly fake dreads?

"Second of all, what are you talking about in regards to using the internet? I didn't say you or anyone couldn't use the internet, I made a point about how you seemed to disregard a point I made about appropriation because no one was 'dying' from it, yet you complained about being the victim of a racial 'hate crime' in your previous post. By my logic I am saying don't be hypocritical about that, not that 'non-whites can't use the internet'. White people are not 'my people', you are not 'my people', and I don't owe you or any poser who decides to wear dreadlocks anything just because I am white too. "
I am just not able to see a link between racial hatecrimes and cultural appropiation. I just cannot, sorry. I'm just that kind of person who believes that if a white woman's passion is bellydancing or twerking, so be it. I was using the internet example because I thought it would make it obvious to see that nonwhites are enjoying white culture without thinking about it too deeply as well.

"Some black people choose to wear or imitate caucasian hair because they were brought to America by white people. And thus suffered constant discrimination, criticism and downright hatred of their hair. That's WHY. This does not even come CLOSE to white people imitating traditional afro hairstyles. If that is what you are trying to get at then you are woefully obscured by your white privelege. Try a little harder and you might understand this."
Believe it or not I'm trying to. I barely have that awesome white privilege people lately are talking about though except maybe being pale(even though being pale is now associated with being sick and replaced by a sunkissed skin) I'll take that weave comment back by the way. But...

You'll never convince me that's it's valid when people hate it when innocent white people wear dreadlocks. Not in a hundred years. We all have different opinions, that makes us unique I guess.

But we're right now in that vicious cycle of the "no YOU are wrong" so I think its better to leave it at that.

@claudine191 thanks!

Last edited by noodly; 11-23-2014 at 04:49 PM.
I don't tolerate people's opinion for the sake of respect. If someone is going to make ignorant statement and poorly constructed arguments I'll tell them so.

Noodly you do not choose to have white privilege or not, you're born with it. Being born white entitles you to better opportunities and better treatment, automatically. Just like being born male over female, straight over gay. It isn't something that goes away no matter how empathetic or aware you are. That's the idea of it.

What you said about the internet makes no sense. Saying that lots of black people have naturally straight hair and lots of white people have naturally 3c-4c hair with no evidence presented doesn't add to anything you've said. The bottom line is that white people do not form dreadlocks naturally. And many ought to think about the actions their ancestors took part in before they take a part of someone else's culture and mimic, exploit or capitalise on it, for the sake of respect. This goes for lots of other instances of appropriation too. This is not just 'hair', it simply isn't about that. The terms 'innocent' can be exchanged with ignorant, oblivious and uneducated in this situation.
CatitudeBoo likes this.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
"Ignorance is bliss." said the straight haired black man. "I wish this racist SJW'ing trend will stop ASAP."

Last edited by noodly; 11-25-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com