Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Politics

Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #41
 
NYCurlyGirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,580
Default

Am I the only one who doesn't see that as racist? I mean, Bush has been called a baboon, monkey, and other names...I guess I don't see racial factors in a lot of stuff like this because I rarely think about race in general (and i'm a minority, before anyone attacks) oh well *shrug*
__________________
"Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
NYCurlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #42
 
DEL2C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCurlyGirly View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see that as racist? I mean, Bush has been called a baboon, monkey, and other names...I guess I don't see racial factors in a lot of stuff like this because I rarely think about race in general (and i'm a minority, before anyone attacks) oh well *shrug*
No I'm with you NYcurlyGirly. It's never racism when a "minority" puts down whites or calls them a number of "names". I am also a "minority" and don't see why everything is always about race.

Last edited by DEL2C; 10-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #43
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCurlyGirly View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see that as racist? I mean, Bush has been called a baboon, monkey, and other names...I guess I don't see racial factors in a lot of stuff like this because I rarely think about race in general (and i'm a minority, before anyone attacks) oh well *shrug*

Bush being called those names, are comparing his intelligence to that of a monkey. While monkeys are somewhat intelligent, they are not at the level of humans. I see it as racist because clearly they aren't comparing Obama's intelligence to that of a monkey. They are comparing skin tone and features. (I don't see it but then again I'm not looking for it)
__________________
Location: Chicago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
Malcolm X
YolyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #44
 
Springcurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,665
Default

If the two of you don't see why calling a black man a monkey is racist, I really can't help you.
__________________


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



Springcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #45
 
yagottaloveyacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenell View Post
They are using the same tactics the Busn admin used to get us to invade Iraq. Seeds of fear. Hinting around that Iraq had something to do with 9/11.

They planted seeds of fear knowing full well that it would be nourished by hate. They need that "dumb a$$ vote". People who would have never made it to the polls. That's the McCain/Palin voter drive.

I firmly believe that the people who think Obama is a terrorist are racist, or in serious racist denial. They CLING to a more "valid" excuse to hate him then being black. Hating a "terrorist" looks better.
ITA.
__________________
Healing Women - Please help.
yagottaloveyacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #46
 
yagottaloveyacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,146
Default

awww... "pug lovers for Obama"
how frickin' cute is that?
__________________
Healing Women - Please help.
yagottaloveyacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #47
 
Trenell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 5,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCurlyGirly View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see that as racist? I mean, Bush has been called a baboon, monkey, and other names...I guess I don't see racial factors in a lot of stuff like this because I rarely think about race in general (and i'm a minority, before anyone attacks) oh well *shrug*
No I'm with you NYcurlyGirly. It's never racism when a "minority" puts down whites or calls them a number of "names". I am also a "minority" and don't see why everything is always about race.
I will assume you don't know this so listen or read carefully:

Black people are called MONKEYS as an insult. Monkey is a racial slur. It was also said that we had TAILS like a monkey.

PORCH MONKEY is also a slur towards blacks. Blacks being all lazy and whatnot, hanging out on the porch.

Even in childhood songs:
Enny meeny miney moe
Catch a n*gger by the toe.

But over time they changed it to, what? Right MONKEY.

So good for you that you have never heard of or dealt with knowledge of moneky being a slur towards blacks. But I HAVE
__________________


Blog

Last edited by Trenell; 10-14-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Trenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #48
 
Oregano  (formerly babywavy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,336
Default

Have you seen this yet?

I've had emails sent to me describing how the Bible states that we will have a leader of Muslim descent who is the antichrist, blah, blah, blah, blah......really, talk about a smear campaign. Insinuating that his opponent may be the ANTICHRIST?

And there are people who STILL want to vote for McCain.

Disgusting.
Oregano  (formerly babywavy) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #49
 
Springcurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagottaloveyacurls View Post
awww... "pug lovers for Obama"
how frickin' cute is that?
hee!
__________________


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



Springcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #50
 
DEL2C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,360
Default

I see your point and I've heard that before Trennell. Somehow, if a black person was holding up a cracker and doing the same thing, guaranteed it wouldn't get the same attention. Unless is there an animal that blacks use to refer to whites that I'm not aware of?
DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #51
 
Springcurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
I see your point and I've heard that before Trennell. Somehow, if a black person was holding up a cracker and doing the same thing, guaranteed it wouldn't get the same attention. Unless is there an animal that blacks use to refer to whites that I'm not aware of?
The reason it's not the same thing is because blacks do not have a history of oppressing whites. Calling someone a cracker (though not very nice) does not have the racial and social implications that calling a black person a monkey does.
__________________


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



Springcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #52
 
yagottaloveyacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
I see your point and I've heard that before Trennell. Somehow, if a black person was holding up a cracker and doing the same thing, guaranteed it wouldn't get the same attention. Unless is there an animal that blacks use to refer to whites that I'm not aware of?
<snip>
EDIT: I apologize. I just am really sick of all the ignorance. To compare holding up a cracker to someone calling Obama a monkey is just so beyond ridiculous. It shows you don't understand much about the racism against our black brothers and sisters in this country. Please educate yourself. Do you truly want to understand?? That is the question you should ask yourself.... Some do. Some don't. Which are you? People don't like wasting their time if someone doesn't actually care, so that is why I'm asking.
__________________
Healing Women - Please help.

Last edited by yagottaloveyacurls; 10-14-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: to apologize.
yagottaloveyacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #53
 
Trenell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 5,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
I see your point and I've heard that before Trennell. Somehow, if a black person was holding up a cracker and doing the same thing, guaranteed it wouldn't get the same attention. Unless is there an animal that blacks use to refer to whites that I'm not aware of?
I think it would get attention. But even if it didn't that does not in any way take away from the vile nature of what the Mccain supporter did
__________________


Blog
Trenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #54
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywavy View Post
Have you seen this yet?

I've had emails sent to me describing how the Bible states that we will have a leader of Muslim descent who is the antichrist, blah, blah, blah, blah......really, talk about a smear campaign. Insinuating that his opponent may be the ANTICHRIST?

And there are people who STILL want to vote for McCain.

Disgusting.

I hope this ad wasn't actually aired.
CurlyGina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #55
 
yagottaloveyacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyGina2 View Post

I hope this ad wasn't actually aired.
geez, between the screwdrivers I keep jamming in my ears (I'm up to 15 in each ear, now) and all your head banging against the wall.... neither one of us are going to be in such good shape by the time this damn election is over.
__________________
Healing Women - Please help.
yagottaloveyacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #56
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagottaloveyacurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyGina2 View Post

I hope this ad wasn't actually aired.
geez, between the screwdrivers I keep jamming in my ears (I'm up to 15 in each ear, now) and all your head banging against the wall.... neither one of us are going to be in such good shape by the time this damn election is over.
Good thing that smilie is on the reply screen! I'm gonna need it a lot more.
CurlyGina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #57
 
yagottaloveyacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,146
Default

I wish there was a "jamming screwdrivers in the ear" smilie.

because in real life....
ouchie.

not to mention how unsightly these things are. people keep looking at me funny.
DAMN YOU MCCAIN/PALIN!
__________________
Healing Women - Please help.
yagottaloveyacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #58
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyGina2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywavy View Post
Have you seen this yet?

I've had emails sent to me describing how the Bible states that we will have a leader of Muslim descent who is the antichrist, blah, blah, blah, blah......really, talk about a smear campaign. Insinuating that his opponent may be the ANTICHRIST?

And there are people who STILL want to vote for McCain.

Disgusting.

I hope this ad wasn't actually aired.
Oh it was. I don't know if it was on tv but it was definitely on up on the McCain website a while back. I think it was before he picked Palin. I remember seeing it when I was still undecided and looking at his website.
__________________
Location: Chicago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
Malcolm X
YolyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #59
 
amy51373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,128
Default

As I stated I was pretty much undecided but in all honesty I think McCain's biggest mistake was picking Palin as his running mate. I can't in all good consciousness vote for McCain no matter what with her as his VP. I will probably vote Obama.
__________________
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
amy51373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #60
 
redcelticcurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,014
Send a message via Yahoo to redcelticcurls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagottaloveyacurls View Post
I wish there was a "jamming screwdrivers in the ear" smilie.

because in real life....
ouchie.

not to mention how unsightly these things are. people keep looking at me funny.
DAMN YOU MCCAIN/PALIN!
This is the closest I could find.

__________________
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
redcelticcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com