Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Politics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #41
 
Sleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,220
Default

i think racism is very much still alive.

i think another interesting fact is - instead of a black man in the articles, what about a middle eastern man? a chinese man? i think they are far less likely to be in a position of power.

i guess, what i have a hard time with, is that you can't argue/debate with articles like that without looking racist. for example, i think mccain's background in the military makes him more fit to be president. i would feel the same way if obama had done that. that's not to say that i dont think obama worked hard or that his degrees werent impressive.

it feels like this is a strawman argument. i agree that there's still racism, but i dont agree with everything in those articles = me as a racist?

btw - venting at no one in particular

mostly just venting
Sleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #42
 
mycolorfulheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleigh View Post
i think racism is very much still alive.

i think another interesting fact is - instead of a black man in the articles, what about a middle eastern man? a chinese man? i think they are far less likely to be in a position of power.

i guess, what i have a hard time with, is that you can't argue/debate with articles like that without looking racist. for example, i think mccain's background in the military makes him more fit to be president. i would feel the same way if obama had done that. that's not to say that i dont think obama worked hard or that his degrees werent impressive.

it feels like this is a strawman argument. i agree that there's still racism, but i dont agree with everything in those articles = me as a racist?

btw - venting at no one in particular

mostly just venting
You are so right about other races not even having the chance that black people do. I think because of the history, black people have fought hard for our freedoms but other groups who are smaller in America haven't fought those battles. (Not that they should have to. ) I think if a Middle Eastern person ran, everyone EVERYONE would be analyzing every detail of their lives to see if they were a terrorist. If their second cousin's hairdresser's boyfriend was a terrorist, then they would be "linked to terrorism" and this would be an acceptable "story" in the press. If a Mexican-American person ran, everyone would be talking about how "those illegals are just taking over" and so on and so forth. It's really, really sad when you think about it. Everyone should have the same opportunities.

As far as what you said about racism, I think the way our society looks at racism is completely wrong. We see it as racist vs. nonracist, evil vs. good, but really, it's like this: ever since you were born you've been seeing subtle and less subtle messages that people with brown skin are bad. For example the whole paragraph above--since you've been alive there has never been a nonwhite president of the United States. We are bombarded by these messages daily, and NO ONE is going to go through life in America without some imbedded racism. That's just the way it is. People who aren't white often have self-loathing issues because of it, and people who are white are often completely unaware of just how deep it goes. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just IS.
mycolorfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #43
 
iara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycolorfulheart View Post
If a Mexican-American person ran, everyone would be talking about how "those illegals are just taking over" and so on and so forth.
Just curious: When Bill Richardson, whose mother is Mexican, ran did anyone say that? I do not remember any issue was made but that is perhaps because of his last name and he did not make it far.
iara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #44
 
iris427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycolorfulheart View Post
If a Mexican-American person ran, everyone would be talking about how "those illegals are just taking over" and so on and so forth.
Just curious: When Bill Richardson, whose mother is Mexican, ran did anyone say that? I do not remember any issue was made but that is perhaps because of his last name and he did not make it far.
That's my guess.
__________________

iris427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
 
mycolorfulheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycolorfulheart View Post
If a Mexican-American person ran, everyone would be talking about how "those illegals are just taking over" and so on and so forth.
Just curious: When Bill Richardson, whose mother is Mexican, ran did anyone say that? I do not remember any issue was made but that is perhaps because of his last name and he did not make it far.
I remember him! I actually really liked him when I saw him during a debate. My guess is that he just didn't make it far enough to get torn to shreds. Most of the really hateful stuff about Obama is just coming out recently, like in the past month or two.
mycolorfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #46
 
iris427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycolorfulheart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycolorfulheart View Post
If a Mexican-American person ran, everyone would be talking about how "those illegals are just taking over" and so on and so forth.
Just curious: When Bill Richardson, whose mother is Mexican, ran did anyone say that? I do not remember any issue was made but that is perhaps because of his last name and he did not make it far.
I remember him! I actually really liked him when I saw him during a debate. My guess is that he just didn't make it far enough to get torn to shreds. Most of the really hateful stuff about Obama is just coming out recently, like in the past month or two.
I really like him too. I was kinda hoping Obama would pick him for VP, but I figured he would pick an older white dude and he did.
__________________

iris427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #47
BB
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,009
Default

Some more disgusting McCain/Palin supporters (warning: strong language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

In case you are wondering why it was produced by Al Jezeera, it is b/c the liberal media would never, ever touch this story.

Color of Change is circulating a petition urging McCain and Palin to denouce this type of hate speech:

http://colorofchange.org/united/deba...id=2314-220216
__________________
A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #48
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,803
Default

deleted

Last edited by CurlyGina2; 10-19-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: duplicate post
CurlyGina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #49
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
Some more disgusting McCain/Palin supporters (warning: strong language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

In case you are wondering why it was produced by Al Jezeera, it is b/c the liberal media would never, ever touch this story.
I don't know what to say/think anymore. Its one thing to know that there are many backwoods, unthinking, dumb people in this country, and its another to see them in action.
CurlyGina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #50
 
wild_sasparilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyGina2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
Some more disgusting McCain/Palin supporters (warning: strong language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

In case you are wondering why it was produced by Al Jezeera, it is b/c the liberal media would never, ever touch this story.
I don't know what to say/think anymore. Its one thing to know that there are many backwoods, unthinking, dumb people in this country, and its another to see them in action.
Oh my God. I felt like crying watching that, I really shouldn't have clicked it. I knew conceptually that people that warped existed, but actually seeing them talk was horrifying. These people really scare me.

And thanks for the OP, that was kind of an "oh, now I see" moment for me, because I've been doing one of these about how nobody's even reported, at the very least, McCain's less-than-confidence-boosting class rank, when somehow the opposite in Obama was being called elitist or something. As aware as I like to be and as silly as it sounds, I thought that these particular discrepancies had only to do with party lines and buying out the media. Now that I see the second layer of bias, I'm even more .
__________________
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie.
wild_sasparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #51
 
Springcurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,665
Default

That video was so disturbing.
__________________


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



Springcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #52
 
SarcasmIsBeauty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,588
Default



People like those in that video scare me! We are all humans, have they forgotten that? Or do they simply choose to ignore it? I cannot fathom as to why people STILL look down upon not only African Americans but "minorities" as whole. They make me feel as if we are plagued with some incurable disease. If Obama does win I seriously hope nothing happens to him because I'm sure people like the ones in the vid. wouldn't hesitate for one second to harm him. Why are they stuck in the slavery mentality? Why can't they move on? We desperately need to break the chains of mental slavery.
__________________
Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
SarcasmIsBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #53
 
wavezncurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,569
Default

sad people in a sad video. makes me sad.
__________________

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez
wavezncurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #54
 
FieryCurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,423
Default

I have no words...

My daughter is bi-racial (black and white) and I often stress over how I am going to explain this kind of stuff to her. I don't know how I am going to be able to say to my little girl that people actually hate my husband because of his skin color.
FieryCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #55
 
wavezncurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
I have no words...

My daughter is bi-racial (black and white) and I often stress over how I am going to explain this kind of stuff to her. I don't know how I am going to be able to say to my little girl that people actually hate my husband because of his skin color.

and her too (Barack is bi-racial like your daughter)...

Just teach her to love herself and her history. I try to do this with my girls. My 3-year daughter thinks everyone is a "shade of brown". She's light brown, her sister is dark brown, her friend is "pink" brown, her grandma is "yellow" brown... I love the simplicity of it all.
__________________

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez
wavezncurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #56
 
FieryCurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezncurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
I have no words...

My daughter is bi-racial (black and white) and I often stress over how I am going to explain this kind of stuff to her. I don't know how I am going to be able to say to my little girl that people actually hate my husband because of his skin color.

and her too (Barack is bi-racial like your daughter)...

Just teach her to love herself and her history. I try to do this with my girls. My 3-year daughter thinks everyone is a "shade of brown". She's light brown, her sister is dark brown, her friend is "pink" brown, her grandma is "yellow" brown... I love the simplicity of it all.
I didn't include her in that because she actually looks white right now. We have had so many people make comments to my husband that she can't possibly be his, because she's too light.
FieryCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #57
 
wavezncurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezncurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
I have no words...

My daughter is bi-racial (black and white) and I often stress over how I am going to explain this kind of stuff to her. I don't know how I am going to be able to say to my little girl that people actually hate my husband because of his skin color.

and her too (Barack is bi-racial like your daughter)...

Just teach her to love herself and her history. I try to do this with my girls. My 3-year daughter thinks everyone is a "shade of brown". She's light brown, her sister is dark brown, her friend is "pink" brown, her grandma is "yellow" brown... I love the simplicity of it all.
I didn't include her in that because she actually looks white right now. We have had so many people make comments to my husband that she can't possibly be his, because she's too light.
oy-- people are so ignorant.
__________________

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez
wavezncurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #58
 
FieryCurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezncurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezncurlz View Post


and her too (Barack is bi-racial like your daughter)...

Just teach her to love herself and her history. I try to do this with my girls. My 3-year daughter thinks everyone is a "shade of brown". She's light brown, her sister is dark brown, her friend is "pink" brown, her grandma is "yellow" brown... I love the simplicity of it all.
I didn't include her in that because she actually looks white right now. We have had so many people make comments to my husband that she can't possibly be his, because she's too light.
oy-- people are so ignorant.
I know. It hurts both of us and we have actually distantanced ourselves from some "friends" because of their comments.
FieryCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #59
 
Josephine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunaCoils View Post

Is it well-documented? I thought they would be more likely to hire a minority since some companies have to hire a certain percentage of minorites. If they don't, it's considered discrimination. That's what I've heard, correct me if I am wrong.

LOL, so you think discrimination doesn't exist? Wow.
Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #60
 
Amandacurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,509
Default

I was thinking about this subject this past weekend. Where do you ladies think racism comes from? I honestly think it's fear, I'm not trying to justify it AT ALL by saying that, but I think the root cause of racism is fear. I think that's why certain races decided they were better than others because they feared them.
Amandacurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com