I know this will get ripped on, but I can't help but post it...

http://dare2believe.com/?p=573
I'm happy for him. He had people there to help him get started and the drive to take it from there, but I don't get the point of posting this. For every story like this, there is one about someone who tried the same thing and didn't make it and needed some help.

I will say that I wish all Americans had someone there to help them get started. I say this becaus I come from a family of men just like this, they are very business-minded and have started multiple businesses

I will again give my stance on stuff like this: I am all for teaching a man how to fish (not giving him a fish), but some people just need a little help getting a fishing pole.

Last edited by scrills; 10-30-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Like Scrills, I applaud this guy. But he had a lot of people in his life he could borrow from to help him get started. Not everyone has that.

And Scrills, this:

I am all for teaching a man how to fish (not giving him a fish), but some people just need a little help getting a fishing pole.
is beautifully stated.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
Originally Posted by Amandacurls

If you and your liberal comrades in the media and school systems

This guy has been spending way too much time listening to Rush Limbaugh. Honestly, if he's so smart about running a business, how come he is just now realizing that America has a progressive tax system (and nearly always has...over 100 years), meaning the more you make, the more you pay. Obama didn't just pull this out of his ass. All Obama wants to do is remove the Bush tax cuts, returning the high-earners to the levels they were during the Clinton years...and rich people did just fine back then.

The rest of it is just typical rantings of the right wing.
You know what's really funny about his whole "redistribution of wealth" thing that the McCain supporters are all in a flurry over... Most of the people screaming could only hope to make more than $250k. I say to that, don't let your fantasy life so influence your choices for your real life.

You know what's really funny about his whole "redistribution of wealth" thing that the McCain supporters are all in a flurry over... Most of the people screaming could only hope to make more than $250k. I say to that, don't let your fantasy life so influence your choices for your real life.
Originally Posted by CocoaCoily
lol, it's so funny that you say that. That was my mom's main arguement with me against Obama when we were talking politics (never again, btw...). I think I offended her a bit by laughing at the fact that she thought it would ever even affect her but it's the truth. Either they're completely misinformed about what Obama wants to do, or they're in denial about their own income and it's potential for growth.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Either they're completely misinformed about what Obama wants to do, or they're in denial about their own income and it's potential for growth.
Originally Posted by MimsTX

I'm finding this is a really common thing, especially the bolded. People seem to be under this bizarre misconception that their average pay status will be affected negatively with Obama, and that's just not the case.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
gentlerage's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
[quote=MichelleBFT;772289]
Either they're completely misinformed about what Obama wants to do, or they're in denial about their own income and it's potential for growth.
Originally Posted by MimsTX

This has been the genius of the Republican party and the Rush Limbaughs of the world for ages now: getting moderate income people to believe that right-wing economic policies benefit them and that "liberal" economic policies are out to get them. Yeah, right. CEO's who get huge bonuses for increasing profits (by laying off workers and/or exporting jobs) are "creating jobs" or "contributing to the economy." Poor people? Welfare recipients? Illegal immigrants? We're expected to believe that THEY are the ones who are "preventing" the middle class from achieving the American Dream of making over $250,000 a year.

It's disgusting, cynical, and wrong. We're sick of hearing it. Maybe people are finally starting to see through it.
Like Scrills, I applaud this guy. But he had a lot of people in his life he could borrow from to help him get started. Not everyone has that.

And Scrills, this:

I am all for teaching a man how to fish (not giving him a fish), but some people just need a little help getting a fishing pole.
is beautifully stated.
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT

I agree with all of the above. Everyone's situation is different. Not everyone is lazy and lacking determination. Trying circumstances are no fun, especially when you've got a family to feed.
www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST!

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu





Either they're completely misinformed about what Obama wants to do, or they're in denial about their own income and it's potential for growth.
Originally Posted by MimsTX

I'm finding this is a really common thing, especially the bolded. People seem to be under this bizarre misconception that their average pay status will be affected negatively with Obama, and that's just not the case.
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT

I told myself that I would stick w/the hair threads here because I just don't dig arguing about politics when I can be finding new techniques and ordering more products- so much hair, so little time! But I thought I'd post on this issue for anyone out there who might be interested in how I, personally feel about it.

To preface, I do not listen to Rush Limbaugh (I can't stand pompous know-it-alls), I watch my local NBC affiliate or CNN for news (that's what's programmed into the remote), and I won't be back to debate the Constitution nor the platforms of either candidate. I'd vote for whichever nominee I felt was the better choice, regardless of party affiliation, race, or sex. That said, the reason I don't back Obama is because I feel that some of his policies, such as the "redistribution of wealth", set the country on a path towards socialism. I feel that the federal gvt. has plenty of power over the citizenry, likely more than our Constitution calls, and has been amended to call for. Thousands upon thousands have immigranted to the US, seeing it as the "land of opportunity", and searching for the "American Dream"- oftentimes from socialist countries. The economy ebbs and flows, and I worry that some of the changes proposed might hurt us over the long haul. It may not affect me instantly and directly, but I believe it will influence how the country I live in is governed in 2, 10, or 20 years down the road. Change is good, and we definitely need some- just probably not this type, imo.

Many may disagree, and that's fine, but this, in a nutshell, is why I feel as I do.
Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
ITS.NOT.A.POLICY.

It is three words that obama happened to string together. In the context of explaining something else. We have been as society with socialist elements for quite some time now. Anyone who thinks we are simply capitalist needs to get real.
Amandacurls - Thanks for posting this. I think it is truly inspiring. Don't let the naysayers get you down.
I'm not sure why you posted this or what we were supposed to get out of it. So a guy started a business 25 years ago...back when you didn't have to go to college to be able to find a job. He worked hard and was eventually successful. He was lucky enough to be mentally fit and intelligent, and to have the support of his family. I am presuming he is also white, and also healthy, since I didn't read anything in there about struggling to pay medical bills or supporting a sick family member. He's giving himself some pretty healthy pats on the back, but nowhere does he acknowledge that that his hard work would have meant nothing without a few lucky breaks.

He somehow believes that all "liberals" are "greedy" and "feel entitled". Apparently you have to be a Republican to be a hard worker who wants the best for your family.

Oh, and I also got a kick out of how he plugged his charitable contributions. It's nice that he gives money to charity, but how about donating some of his time? I'm more impressed by someone who dedicates his life to public service than someone who throws out a few bones at the end of the year so he can take a nice tax deduction.
Originally Posted by Amandacurls

If you and your liberal comrades in the media and school systems
This guy has been spending way too much time listening to Rush Limbaugh. Honestly, if he's so smart about running a business, how come he is just now realizing that America has a progressive tax system (and nearly always has...over 100 years), meaning the more you make, the more you pay. Obama didn't just pull this out of his ass. All Obama wants to do is remove the Bush tax cuts, returning the high-earners to the levels they were during the Clinton years...and rich people did just fine back then.

The rest of it is just typical rantings of the right wing.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
As far as the bolded in your post, do you *really* think the Bush tax cuts only helped the rich? You know better, right? They brought back the 10% tax bracket, which, if you'll look into it, hardly helps the rich folks. Also - an increase in the child tax credit, which helps the middle class and the lower income folks, but is phased out at a higher income. And all the tax brackets changed a bit under these tax breaks. I don't remember the specifics, but it was like 15% became 10%, 18% became 15%, and so on - all the way up. I'm sort of confused. Is Obama still admitting he will do away with the Bush tax cuts? I know he said that at first, and then once people realized that would be a tax increase for, well, all working Americans, he changed that policy and began to spout this 250k income level BS.
I'm not sure why you posted this or what we were supposed to get out of it. So a guy started a business 25 years ago...back when you didn't have to go to college to be able to find a job. He worked hard and was eventually successful. He was lucky enough to be mentally fit and intelligent, and to have the support of his family. I am presuming he is also white, and also healthy, since I didn't read anything in there about struggling to pay medical bills or supporting a sick family member. He's giving himself some pretty healthy pats on the back, but nowhere does he acknowledge that that his hard work would have meant nothing without a few lucky breaks.

He somehow believes that all "liberals" are "greedy" and "feel entitled". Apparently you have to be a Republican to be a hard worker who wants the best for your family.

Oh, and I also got a kick out of how he plugged his charitable contributions. It's nice that he gives money to charity, but how about donating some of his time? I'm more impressed by someone who dedicates his life to public service than someone who throws out a few bones at the end of the year so he can take a nice tax deduction.
Originally Posted by tantrum
Thank You
My favorites
Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
Yemen Henna
HHC
AOHR Deep Conditioner
Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
My own homemade mixtures
BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
the reason I don't back Obama is because I feel that some of his policies, such as the "redistribution of wealth", set the country on a path towards socialism.
Originally Posted by KindaWavy


I wouldn't want you to compromise your anti-socialism principals, so, when you get to retirement age, please feel free to send me your Social Security check. And don't send your kids to public school...that's right, more socialism. Public roads and bridges...please don't drive on them...socialist ya know. Thanks.
the reason I don't back Obama is because I feel that some of his policies, such as the "redistribution of wealth", set the country on a path towards socialism.
Originally Posted by KindaWavy


I wouldn't want you to compromise your anti-socialism principals, so, when you get to retirement age, please feel free to send me your Social Security check. And don't send your kids to public school...that's right, more socialism. Public roads and bridges...please don't drive on them...socialist ya know. Thanks.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Touche! Some older relatives of mine have been grousing about Obama and his supposed socialist bent, but they happily accept Medicare, Social Security and one of them is on Worker's Comp disability. No socialism going on there, nah.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I'm not sure why you posted this or what we were supposed to get out of it. So a guy started a business 25 years ago...back when you didn't have to go to college to be able to find a job. He worked hard and was eventually successful. He was lucky enough to be mentally fit and intelligent, and to have the support of his family. I am presuming he is also white, and also healthy, since I didn't read anything in there about struggling to pay medical bills or supporting a sick family member. He's giving himself some pretty healthy pats on the back, but nowhere does he acknowledge that that his hard work would have meant nothing without a few lucky breaks.

He somehow believes that all "liberals" are "greedy" and "feel entitled". Apparently you have to be a Republican to be a hard worker who wants the best for your family.

Oh, and I also got a kick out of how he plugged his charitable contributions. It's nice that he gives money to charity, but how about donating some of his time? I'm more impressed by someone who dedicates his life to public service than someone who throws out a few bones at the end of the year so he can take a nice tax deduction.
Originally Posted by tantrum
Thank You
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty
Yes thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.

Hard work counts for a lot, and it can get you far. But when push comes to shove we're all at the mercy of luck at times. Ish happens.
I'm not sure why you posted this or what we were supposed to get out of it. So a guy started a business 25 years ago...back when you didn't have to go to college to be able to find a job. He worked hard and was eventually successful. He was lucky enough to be mentally fit and intelligent, and to have the support of his family. I am presuming he is also white, and also healthy, since I didn't read anything in there about struggling to pay medical bills or supporting a sick family member. He's giving himself some pretty healthy pats on the back, but nowhere does he acknowledge that that his hard work would have meant nothing without a few lucky breaks.

He somehow believes that all "liberals" are "greedy" and "feel entitled". Apparently you have to be a Republican to be a hard worker who wants the best for your family.

Oh, and I also got a kick out of how he plugged his charitable contributions. It's nice that he gives money to charity, but how about donating some of his time? I'm more impressed by someone who dedicates his life to public service than someone who throws out a few bones at the end of the year so he can take a nice tax deduction.
Originally Posted by tantrum
Thank You
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty
I could ask anyone else here why they post half the things they do. 1) Because I wanted to and it's a public forum 2) Offers a different perspective from the usual posts on this forum. I don't think I need to qualify everything I post. This is the politics forum, it's a politically charged letter and I'm a Republican (which I've never made a secret), is it really that much of a stretch to see why I would post it?
Why did you think this thread would get ripped on? Maybe because that is just one man's situation that not everyone could aspire to do? What would he have done if he didn't have his family to give him that push? What do you do if your family is poor and you have no one to borrow you money or give you help to succeed?

I am happy for him too. He's a very lucky guy...plus he worked very hard to get where he is today. I can say that about myself also. I did work hard to get where I am today, but without luck and the help of others (scholarships, grants,etc), it wouldn't have been possible. I wish we did all have family to depend on, but the sad truth is, for some people, like me, they have no one to depend on. Once I got that push (grants for college) from the gov't, I no longer need their help or anyone's help for that matter.
2b/2c Henndigo curls
Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel
Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com