WH going after Media

So, not seen anything here about the WH's attack on Fox News. Is that not bothering anyone? Looks like it is starting to backfire on them, which is a Good Thing.

It started last week or so with Anita Dunn's attack on Fox, and then the rest of the WH Chicago gang piling on, claiming that Fox is not real news. Gibbs was stupid enough to use the opinion hour shows as an example. Apparently he's not aware that opinion is different from news.

The WH press pool has been a conglomeration of all the news networks, sharing expenses, etc of covering the White House. The WH made pay czar Feinberg available for questions on Thursday to everyone in the press pool BUT Fox. Fortunately, the other news networks realized (finally!) what an assault their actions are on the First Amendment and freedom of the press. They said it was all the press or none of them would show. And the WH backed down.

What incredible arrogance of the White House. Fox refuses to fall into lockstep with other media and the WH tries to shut them out. Behaviour straight out of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

If the Bush administration tried to do this, they would have been demonized and torn to shreds.

I thought this joker was a constitutional lawyer? He wasn't a very good one if he can't figure out that his administration is stepping over the line. Of course, anyone who refers to the writers of the Constitution as the 'so-called founders', doesn't seem to have much regard or respect for it or them. And yes, those words in quotes are from his college thesis at Columbia.

Scared yet? I'm not scared, but I am sure as hell worried. And Fox is on its way to having a lawsuit it appears.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...238177126.html

Yeah, that "hope and change' isn't working too well.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.



I totally agree. I can't believe no one else besides you and me are upset over this.

Believe me, I realize Fox can be so on the right that they are lopsided at times, but no different than MSNBC is on the left. When the White House starts dictating who can report the news, then we as a country are in big trouble.

I voted for Obama and hoped he would be a great president who accomplished great things. THIS has to be one of the blackest (and I don't mean that racially) marks on his administration. When Big Brother starts telling us what we can and can't see or hear, one of our very basic freedoms is compromised.

I also agree that if the Bush administration had tried this everyone on this board would have been all over him.
3b/c
While I do agree that Fox leans to the right and NBC,ABC, and CBS lean to the left the White House is way out of line and I'm glad that the other networks realized this. I think it's a sad day when the WH has to attack a news network. I don't care if your on the left or the right or anywhere else this is freedom of speech we are talking about everyone should be worried, upset, and not put up with this kinda crap.
I haven't been following this story. I have no television and don't watch any TV news, Fox or otherwise.

However, from 2007-2009 I worked at a place that had Fox on all the time and I did learn this: Fox News is not really a news organization, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you think they are reputable, fair and balanced, or whatever it is they call themselves, it's only because you agree with their agenda. And you perhaps lack some critical thinking skills as well.

Last edited by wild~hair; 10-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.
So what NBC, ABC, and CBS don't lean to the left and push their own agenda? Please your the pot calling the kettle black. All of the news outlets are bias. So it's ok for you to say that Fox isn't news because you don't agree with their right leaning ways but then you're going to say it's ok for NBC, ABC, and CBS (msnbc, cnn, etc.) to lean left and they are "real" news because your agree with their agenda... you people are blind at least be honest with yourself. You love to yell at anyone who even looks at Fox news but you won't question yourself and where you get your news from and if that news has a bias. Most of us understand the Fox tends to lean to the right at least we're not trying to hide it.
I haven't been following this story. I have no television and don't watch any TV news, Fox or otherwise.

However, from 2007-2009 I worked at a place that had Fox on all the time and I did learn this: Fox News is not really a news organization, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you think they are reputable, fair and balanced, or whatever it is they call themselves, it's only because you agree with their agenda. And you perhaps lack some critical thinking skills as well.
Originally Posted by wild~hair
All of the news organizations are biased, some more than others. As I said, Fox can be very lopsided to the right but no more than MSNBC is to the left. That does not make them "not really a news organization." If you feel this way, it is because your agenda is different than theirs. Regardless, no government -- Democratic or Republican -- should try to keep anyone from reporting just because they disagree. This is one of our most fundamental rights and the WH is trying to take it away. I really think it sounds awfully "Big Brotherish" to me, and believe me I am not a conspiracy theorist. I just think we ALL are entitled to the same rights. . . especially the news organizations.
3b/c
Meh. I've seen a lot of FOX (my dad watches it constantly), and I must agree with wild~hair that FOX certainly isn't news. I think this specifically because the views presented in their opinion shows often mirror views presented in their news programming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRx5ethd8JU Honestly, at this point, it makes me feel better about the world to think of FOX as some form of satirical reporting, like The Colbert Report.

This is coming from someone who refuses to watch any of the major networks (except the occasional CSPAN when I'm trying to fall asleep). Sure, they all have their biases in one direction of the political spectrum or the other, but I think people are missing important realities when they say this. MSNBC might seem liberal on its face, supporting gay marriage, a pro-choice agenda, etc. But threaten its corporate interests, and MSNBC will be just as conservative as FOX. Just as one example: http://mediamatters.org/research/200903070004 Doesn't seem like a bastion of liberal reporting to you, now does it?

I will say, though, that I think FOX is particularly offensive. Especially since its shows often "report" on things that don't actually exist, but that actually lead to quite dangerous conclusions, like FEMA concentration camps. (Pretty much ALL the networks did this with the death panel myth in health care reform, in FOX's defense.) It's one thing to have a right to freedom of speech and press, but when a private news organization insists upon delivering distorted information, confusing the people as to their real interests, pushing their own corporate agenda, inciting needless unrest and impeding the REAL political process...yes, I think they should be taken out. It's not appropriate for the WH to do it, in my opinion, but it should be done.
CG since 07/26/09

Last edited by mandatoryfun; 10-25-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Meh. I've seen a lot of FOX (my dad watches it constantly), and I must agree with wild~hair that FOX certainly isn't news. I think this specifically because the views presented in their opinion shows often mirror views presented in their news programming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRx5ethd8JU Honestly, at this point, it makes me feel better about the world to think of FOX as some form of satirical reporting, like The Colbert Report.

This is coming from someone who refuses to watch any of the major networks (except the occasional CSPAN when I'm trying to fall asleep). Sure, they all have their biases in one direction of the political spectrum or the other, but I think people are missing important realities when they say this. MSNBC might seem liberal on its face, supporting gay marriage, a pro-choice agenda, etc. But threaten its corporate interests, and MSNBC will be just as conservative as FOX. Just as one example: http://mediamatters.org/research/200903070004 Doesn't seem like a bastion of liberal reporting to you, now does it?

I will say, though, that I think FOX is particularly offensive. Especially since its shows often "report" on things that don't actually exist, but that actually lead to quite dangerous conclusions, like FEMA concentration camps. (Pretty much ALL the networks did this with the death panel myth in health care reform, in FOX's defense.) It's one thing to have a right to freedom of speech and press, but when a private news organization insists upon delivering distorted information, confusing the people as to their real interests, pushing their own corporate agenda, inciting needless unrest and impeding the REAL political process...yes, I think they should be taken out. It's not appropriate for the WH to do it, in my opinion, but it should be done.
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun

Watch stations like NBC, we were watching it the other night and they left out all kinds of important information when reporting on a "poll" they did we couldn't even find the margin of error (which is suppose to be less then 3%). Why do they do this? To push their own agenda on you and spin their poll to make it work for them. I don't trust anyone that's why I get my news from at least 2-4 different places.
I haven't been following this story. I have no television and don't watch any TV news, Fox or otherwise.

However, from 2007-2009 I worked at a place that had Fox on all the time and I did learn this: Fox News is not really a news organization, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you think they are reputable, fair and balanced, or whatever it is they call themselves, it's only because you agree with their agenda. And you perhaps lack some critical thinking skills as well.
Originally Posted by wild~hair
All of the news organizations are biased, some more than others. As I said, Fox can be very lopsided to the right but no more than MSNBC is to the left. That does not make them "not really a news organization." If you feel this way, it is because your agenda is different than theirs. Regardless, no government -- Democratic or Republican -- should try to keep anyone from reporting just because they disagree. This is one of our most fundamental rights and the WH is trying to take it away. I really think it sounds awfully "Big Brotherish" to me, and believe me I am not a conspiracy theorist. I just think we ALL are entitled to the same rights. . . especially the news organizations.
Originally Posted by munchkin
That pretty much sums it up for me. I don't think the WH has any right to take on any news media. Besides - are there not more important things to worry about?
I thought this joker was a constitutional lawyer? He wasn't a very good one if he can't figure out that his administration is stepping over the line. Of course, anyone who refers to the writers of the Constitution as the 'so-called founders', doesn't seem to have much regard or respect for it or them. And yes, those words in quotes are from his college thesis at Columbia.
Originally Posted by susancnw
This remark is actually really hilarious in the context of your OP, since it was recently debunked as an utter fabrication.

Way to make a compelling case.
CG since 07/26/09
~

Last edited by lazy loops; Yesterday at 08:16 PM.
This is not in violation of the first amendment. The WH is not acting to get Fox News off the air. Just calling it the way the see it.

Nor is this administration the only one to give access to some news outlets over others.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
Nor is this administration the only one to give access to some news outlets over others.
So that makes it ok? I'm really asking here. I'm hearing a lot of people saying things like this, well Bush did x so Obama doing x isn't a big deal... and I disagree it was wrong for BOTH to do it.

And why can't we hold Obama up to being the president NOW. Bush isn't president anymore. He's not in the picture.

I want our current president to do what is right even if the previous ones didn't. I want our current president to take our right seriously.

Let's stop talking about what Bush did or didn't do in terms of what Obama's doing. What Bush did or didn't do shouldn't make Obama not do the right thing.
Nor is this administration the only one to give access to some news outlets over others.
So that makes it ok? I'm really asking here. I'm hearing a lot of people saying things like this, well Bush did x so Obama doing x isn't a big deal... and I disagree it was wrong for BOTH to do it.

And why can't we hold Obama up to being the president NOW. Bush isn't president anymore. He's not in the picture.

I want our current president to do what is right even if the previous ones didn't. I want our current president to take our right seriously.

Let's stop talking about what Bush did or didn't do in terms of what Obama's doing. What Bush did or didn't do shouldn't make Obama not do the right thing.
Originally Posted by MamaDawn


They're not really holding Obama up against Bush when they point out that Bush did something. What they are really doing is showing you (and people like you) your own hipocrisy. You didn't say a word when Bush was doing these things, but now that Obama does a few of them, OMFG, IT'S THE END OF THE FREE WORLD!

You're a bunch of Chicken Littles, screaming about the sky falling. Relax, it's just a little acorn.
Nor is this administration the only one to give access to some news outlets over others.
So that makes it ok? I'm really asking here. I'm hearing a lot of people saying things like this, well Bush did x so Obama doing x isn't a big deal... and I disagree it was wrong for BOTH to do it.

And why can't we hold Obama up to being the president NOW. Bush isn't president anymore. He's not in the picture.

I want our current president to do what is right even if the previous ones didn't. I want our current president to take our right seriously.

Let's stop talking about what Bush did or didn't do in terms of what Obama's doing. What Bush did or didn't do shouldn't make Obama not do the right thing.
Originally Posted by MamaDawn


They're not really holding Obama up against Bush when they point out that Bush did something. What they are really doing is showing you (and people like you) your own hipocrisy. You didn't say a word when Bush was doing these things, but now that Obama does a few of them, OMFG, IT'S THE END OF THE FREE WORLD!

You're a bunch of Chicken Littles, screaming about the sky falling. Relax, it's just a little acorn.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
OK so I see I ask a real question and you call me names. See why do you have to do that? I didn't say anything like that to anyone.

And I did say it was wrong when Bush did it... I don't think that Bush was such a great president... why is it that just because I have issues with things that Obama is doing you assume that I think Bush was perfect?

I'm sick of this happening. You need to grow up and stop stereotyping people and assuming things you don't know.
So that makes it ok? I'm really asking here. I'm hearing a lot of people saying things like this, well Bush did x so Obama doing x isn't a big deal... and I disagree it was wrong for BOTH to do it.

And why can't we hold Obama up to being the president NOW. Bush isn't president anymore. He's not in the picture.

I want our current president to do what is right even if the previous ones didn't. I want our current president to take our right seriously.

Let's stop talking about what Bush did or didn't do in terms of what Obama's doing. What Bush did or didn't do shouldn't make Obama not do the right thing.
Originally Posted by MamaDawn


They're not really holding Obama up against Bush when they point out that Bush did something. What they are really doing is showing you (and people like you) your own hipocrisy. You didn't say a word when Bush was doing these things, but now that Obama does a few of them, OMFG, IT'S THE END OF THE FREE WORLD!

You're a bunch of Chicken Littles, screaming about the sky falling. Relax, it's just a little acorn.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
OK so I see I ask a real question and you call me names. See why do you have to do that? I didn't say anything like that to anyone.

And I did say it was wrong when Bush did it... I don't think that Bush was such a great president... why is it that just because I have issues with things that Obama is doing you assume that I think Bush was perfect?

I'm sick of this happening. You need to grow up and stop stereotyping people and assuming things you don't know.
Originally Posted by MamaDawn

OK...you're acting like a bunch of Chicken Littles. You're not actually a Chicken Little. Better?
Good grief I said that I had a problem with it when Bush did it too.

I don't think it's a little thing. In fact I think it was wrong with Lincoln did it too.

Can you stop seeing me as the enemy?
Good grief I said that I had a problem with it when Bush did it too.

I don't think it's a little thing. In fact I think it was wrong with Lincoln did it too.

Can you stop seeing me as the enemy?
Originally Posted by MamaDawn
Don't waste your energy... it's not gonna happen.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com