Teleprompter Dependency

It's entertaining, but I think it simply says more about our current ultra-mediated time than about President Obama. Politicians of all stripes get into trouble when they go "off prompter." In an age of YouTube, Twitter, 24-hour cable news, the Daily Show, the Colbert Report,etc., a tiny gaffe or awkwardly-phrased comment can become a big issue. When a figure is as visible, powerful, and under as much scrutiny as the president, it's probably better to risk being made fun of for using the teleprompter too much than to risk saying something stupid off-the-cuff.

And speaking from manuscript is nothing new, though the teleprompter technology is fairly new. Indeed, since George Washington, presidents have been using prepared manuscripts for public speaking. There are really fascinating archived speech manuscripts from Lincoln's presidency in his handwriting with commentary from several other advisers.

Ronald Reagan was excellent delivering scripted speeches in a way that seemed off-the-cuff; his training as an actor helped. If you're interested, Peggy Noonan's What I Saw at the Revolution details a lot of the preparation that went into Reagan's speeches.
bump

well, it could be worse.



bump

well, it could be worse.



Originally Posted by *LC*
Wow!!! She spews the same garbage so often, you think she'd have it memorized by now.

I wrote notes on my hand when I gave a speech for a high school election...it didn't end well!
CG since 07/26/09
You've never heard of TOTUS? It made quite a few headlines on quite a few stations around the country, mostly cable such as CNN, Fox, MSNBC (I think). I think it's actually pretty clever. But I enjoy satire and irony as well as slapstick so...

He made a campaign stop here in my town the Sept before the election. Out of curiosity, I wanted to know the total price for that visit. Cost the city a LOT of money in overtime pay, didn't bring in near what was projected and I have no idea if we've even been paid yet. And the teleprompters were there. Did you know that they are mounted high so that he appears to be looking up and out? Just one of those little things about his image that are carefully crafted.

I was wrong to bring up the DC vouchers. Overall in our schools though, the feds need to get out of it. Control back to the states as it seems that since the feds took over, the schools have been dumbing down and teaching to the lowest common denominator in many cases. That is why we took our kids out of the regular public schools and put them in a charter school. No tuition as it is part of the regular school system. No teacher union either. Teachers don't want it. But they have proven time and again that when you challenge the kids, they will rise up. Our oldest daughter was held back in 5th grade. She sulked for 3 months (plus the summer). Then she buckled down to study.
In December, she received her acceptance letter to Elmhurst College, right outside Chicago. She also received a President's Scholarship for $68K for 4 years. That will pay about half of it. She wouldn't have done it without an scholastic atmosphere that challenged and rewarded her. She busted her ass for it and we are very proud of her. Add that to the modeling agency she signed with that month and it was very surreal. She's very well rounded, but if she had not been inspired and challenged, it would not have happened. We don't teach the test, it is a classical education. I would love to see every school return to a basic education, learn it and move on to better achievements in middle and high school. My kids have been able to carry on intelligent, reasoned conversations in literature, history and art since early high school. I credit a great deal of that to their education and to the atmosphere of learning we foster. I know not every kid has that advantage. Many of their classmates don't...but they are challenged and rewarded at school.

Sorry for the off topic, but I find the extreme usage of teleprompter tedious.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.



bump

well, it could be worse.



Originally Posted by *LC*
I was going to post this same thing!! This is Sarah Palin's version of a teleprompter!! Too freaking funny. And in the same speech she bashed Obama for using a teleprompter. I would rather have that than having a potential presidential candidate who acts like she is in freaking high school!!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with her having notes on her hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


So, Kitschy, you think Obama's speeches are wasteful because they create jobs?
CG since 07/26/09
Palin writing on her hand would be fan-flippin'-tastic if I could make sense out of anything she says.

As it stands, however, it seems like a waste of good ink [and later, soap].
So, Kitschy, you think Obama's speeches are wasteful because they create jobs?
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun
You are a very creative thinker.

Theres nothing wrong with having notes on your hand or reading from a teleprompter.

But jotting notes on your hand is a hundred times better than reading word by word, line by line without a single thought but to read is so robotic like.lol
So, Kitschy, you think Obama's speeches are wasteful because they create jobs?
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun
You are a very creative thinker.
Originally Posted by Kitschy
in the words of flavor flav….WOOOOOOOW!
Theres nothing wrong with having notes on your hand or reading from a teleprompter.

But jotting notes on your hand is a hundred times better than reading word by word, line by line without a single thought but to read is so robotic like.lol
Originally Posted by 3cCurly
I agree with the first half but not the second half.
Here's why: True, really, in some ways we are being harsh on Palin. She can have notes on her hand if that helps her with her speech. Why not? right?
Also, it's nice she is able to say her speech more by memory than most people can. She only had a few words on her hand, so I give her props.

However, when you are the president of the United States...Obama, Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sr. used teleprompters...ALL of them! Reagan used notes on paper....when you are the president, every word you say counts...it's scrutinized around the world. You do not have room for error AT ALL. You say something intended one way, it can be taken another way. That's why they have to have pre-prepared speeches, scrutinized by professional people, and have to say it word for word. Reagan, Clinton, and Obama were actually good orators. They're able to read the teleprompter quite well and own it, so to speak. Bush Sr. had some trouble and Bush Jr. had a lot of trouble.

Criticism of Obama using a teleprompter is RIDICULOUS!! It is crazy. By the way, he was able to speak off the cuff to the Republicans during their meeting, although it was televised. When he is not giving a formal speech, you can tell Obama can still come across clearly, articulate his points eloquently.

Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin. Whether she had notes on her hand or not, whether she used a teleprompter or not...she's been pretty consistent with who she is. For those who love her, well of course she can do no wrong. She's folksy and some people can relate to her. Fine. For those who do not support her, well we see it as a little hypocritical that she criticizes our president for using a teleprompter (surely, she knows other presidents use it) and then have to refer to the few words on her hand that she has been talking about ad nauseum forever. It's odd that she needed to write those few words now, but so be it.
I don't know about you, but I want my president to not talk off the cuff when he's giving a formal speech. He's human, he's not god. He will miss some points, he might say something in a wrong way (just like anyone can if they talk for an hour about important, controversial topics, about issues that effect us as well as the rest of the world). I would think he was irresponsible if he hadn't done so.

Sarah Palin is now doing speeches for Tea Parties. There's no comparison here. She can say "you betcha," repeat some conservative talking points, add some folksy personal experiences, and voila!!
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.


3a/3b
So, Kitschy, you think Obama's speeches are wasteful because they create jobs?
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun
You are a very creative thinker.
Originally Posted by Kitschy
in the words of flavor flav….WOOOOOOOW!
Originally Posted by 3cCurly
I was being facetious, but I see that's gone over your heads.
CG since 07/26/09
Sweeping generalization alert!

There's something about conservatives and humor. It's all good when they're poking fun, but if you poke back, or god forbid self-deprecate, they get irritated and/or confused.

Sweeping generalization alert!

There's something about conservatives and humor. It's all good when they're poking fun, but if you poke back, or god forbid self-deprecate, they get irritated and/or confused.

Originally Posted by wild~hair
Sweeping generalization counter-alert!

Funny, we think the same about you libs.

You are a very creative thinker.
Originally Posted by Kitschy
in the words of flavor flav….WOOOOOOOW!
Originally Posted by 3cCurly
I was being facetious, but I see that's gone over your heads.
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun
I totally know your facetious! that's why I'm laughing at you, and not to worry I don't take anything you say seriously you definitely humor me as well as others!

So Pat yourself on the back for doing sucha wonderful job!LOL

I totally know your facetious! that's why I'm laughing at you, and not to worry I don't take anything you say seriously you definitely humor me as well as others!

So Pat yourself on the back for doing sucha wonderful job!LOL
Originally Posted by 3cCurly

Man, you just have no problem with being an as s, do you?
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
Theres nothing wrong with having notes on your hand or reading from a teleprompter.

But jotting notes on your hand is a hundred times better than reading word by word, line by line without a single thought but to read is so robotic like.lol
Originally Posted by 3cCurly
I agree with the first half but not the second half.
Here's why: True, really, in some ways we are being harsh on Palin. She can have notes on her hand if that helps her with her speech. Why not? right?
Also, it's nice she is able to say her speech more by memory than most people can. She only had a few words on her hand, so I give her props.

However, when you are the president of the United States...Obama, Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sr. used teleprompters...ALL of them! Reagan used notes on paper....when you are the president, every word you say counts...it's scrutinized around the world. You do not have room for error AT ALL. You say something intended one way, it can be taken another way. That's why they have to have pre-prepared speeches, scrutinized by professional people, and have to say it word for word. Reagan, Clinton, and Obama were actually good orators. They're able to read the teleprompter quite well and own it, so to speak. Bush Sr. had some trouble and Bush Jr. had a lot of trouble.

Criticism of Obama using a teleprompter is RIDICULOUS!! It is crazy. By the way, he was able to speak off the cuff to the Republicans during their meeting, although it was televised. When he is not giving a formal speech, you can tell Obama can still come across clearly, articulate his points eloquently.

Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin. Whether she had notes on her hand or not, whether she used a teleprompter or not...she's been pretty consistent with who she is. For those who love her, well of course she can do no wrong. She's folksy and some people can relate to her. Fine. For those who do not support her, well we see it as a little hypocritical that she criticizes our president for using a teleprompter (surely, she knows other presidents use it) and then have to refer to the few words on her hand that she has been talking about ad nauseum forever. It's odd that she needed to write those few words now, but so be it.
I don't know about you, but I want my president to not talk off the cuff when he's giving a formal speech. He's human, he's not god. He will miss some points, he might say something in a wrong way (just like anyone can if they talk for an hour about important, controversial topics, about issues that effect us as well as the rest of the world). I would think he was irresponsible if he hadn't done so.

Sarah Palin is now doing speeches for Tea Parties. There's no comparison here. She can say "you betcha," repeat some conservative talking points, add some folksy personal experiences, and voila!!
Originally Posted by Boomygrrl
You make some very interesting points. I agree that many presidents use the teleprompter and they have to at times. However, no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small as Obama. He is totally dependent on that darn machine and it's to a point were it has become his crutch,lol.

Question, when was the last time in his entire presidency that you have seen him not use it (teleprompter) and just speak from his mind? and when you take away his teleprompter he seems lost and incoherent at times. He can't even explain the intricacies of this disastrous health care bill he's trying force through, when a majority of Americans don't want it. But that's not even a telepromoter issue it's moreso a issue of him not knowing what's in the bill because he probably didn't read it.

I just think Obama seems like a smart person but lacks common sense on so many issues even Jon Steward agrees when it comes to using a teleprompter in a sixth grade classroom
Jon Stewart Mocks Obama For Using Teleprompter In Sixth Grade Classroom (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_436406.html

and

Obama's Home Teleprompter Malfunctions During Family Dinner

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...e_teleprompter



Just being facetious, a lil political humor for your enjoyment

You make some very interesting points. I agree that many presidents use the teleprompter and they have to at times. However, no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small as Obama. He is totally dependent on that darn machine and it's to a point were it has become his crutch,lol.

Question, when was the last time in his entire presidency that you have seen him not use it (teleprompter) and just speak from his mind? and when you take away his teleprompter he seems lost and incoherent at times. He can't even explain the intricacies of this disastrous health care bill he's trying force through, when a majority of Americans don't want it. But that's not even a telepromoter issue it's moreso a issue of him not knowing what's in the bill because he probably didn't read it.

I just think Obama seems like a smart person but lacks common sense on so many issues even Jon Steward agrees when it comes to using a teleprompter in a sixth grade classroom
Jon Stewart Mocks Obama For Using Teleprompter In Sixth Grade Classroom (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_436406.html

and

Obama's Home Teleprompter Malfunctions During Family Dinner

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...e_teleprompter


Just being facetious, a lil political humor for your enjoyment
Originally Posted by 3cCurly


Did you happen to catch the Republican Q&A session a week or so ago? No teleprompter and Obama was as succinct and well-spoken as any great orator ever. He made all those Rep senators into his b1tches.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com