Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Politics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
 
susancnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,350
Default Teleprompter Dependency

Okay, I find this more than a little absurd.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/...eding-race-top

Why do you need TWO teleprompters and a podium to speak to a classroom of 6th graders?
__________________
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.



susancnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
 
Springcurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,665
Default

Oh, who gives a crap? Sincerely.
__________________


Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



Springcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
 
wild~hair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,942
Default

susancnw, I love your sig. It reveals a lot about you.
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
Okay, I find this more than a little absurd.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/...eding-race-top

Why do you need TWO teleprompters and a podium to speak to a classroom of 6th graders?

LOL, Well at least we know the President can read...and that's about all he can do.
__________________

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
 
Poodlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,278
Default

I guess you should dump Reagan as your personal hero too, then.

Obama was giving a speech. He didn't use the teleprompters for the informal chat.
__________________
Minneapolis, MN
Poodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

Without teleprompters, Bush would have been struck dumb, same with Reagan, HW Bush and Clinton. What's your point?
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,609
Default

WTF? All politicians use teleprompters. Even Saint Reagan used them.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
 
susancnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
susancnw, I love your sig. It reveals a lot about you.
Thanks! Sowell is a personal hero. He's incredibly smart, but has a way of explaining things that goes right to the heart of things. I admit that I struggle with his books on economics, his books are race and cultural issues are really eye-opening. And he's very funny.

http://www.tsowell.com/


Guess I need to update the sig too...found a good one from Mark Twain.
__________________
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.



susancnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
 
susancnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,350
Default

I'm well aware that politicians use teleprompters all the time. I think he uses them with alarming frequency, but few politicians are good at off the cuff...and it is often very revealing. I think these two blogs are funny as hell.

http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/

http://obamasblackberry.blogspot.com/

The video on the blackberry blog is funny. It's from the Onion and I laughed hysterically too on the stuff they did on Bush. And watch the video to the end...the shot at Reagan is a good one.

Why was he giving a speech to 6th graders? Couldn't he just have had them come to the White House and stand around like he did the doctors?

And if education is so important, why didn't he step in when the DC school district decided to deny vouchers so the kids could get out of lousy schools and go to a better school. Incidentally, some of those kids that were getting vouchers and scholarships were going to the school where his daughters go.

Like I initially said, it looks absurd for him to be in an elementary school accompanied by the Podium and Teleprompter.

I wonder if there is a 12 step program for teleprompter dependence? He's not real good when TOTUS has a malfunction.
__________________
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.



susancnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
He's not real good when TOTUS has a malfunction.
At least he can still form words in the English language.

Dubya Speaking?
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
He's not real good when TOTUS has a malfunction.
At least he can still form words in the English language.

Dubya Speaking?


God Damn, that Bush was an Empty Vessel. Stupid as the day is long. And the Conservatives want to elect the other Empty Vessel to high office too (Palin).
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 657
Default

Jon Stewart: You didnít really use a teleprompter inside a classroom, did you, champ?

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/2...did-you-champ/
__________________

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
 
Nallia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
I'm well aware that politicians use teleprompters all the time. I think he uses them with alarming frequency, but few politicians are good at off the cuff...and it is often very revealing. I think these two blogs are funny as hell.

http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/

http://obamasblackberry.blogspot.com/

The video on the blackberry blog is funny. It's from the Onion and I laughed hysterically too on the stuff they did on Bush. And watch the video to the end...the shot at Reagan is a good one.

Why was he giving a speech to 6th graders? Couldn't he just have had them come to the White House and stand around like he did the doctors?

And if education is so important, why didn't he step in when the DC school district decided to deny vouchers so the kids could get out of lousy schools and go to a better school. Incidentally, some of those kids that were getting vouchers and scholarships were going to the school where his daughters go.

Like I initially said, it looks absurd for him to be in an elementary school accompanied by the Podium and Teleprompter.

I wonder if there is a 12 step program for teleprompter dependence? He's not real good when TOTUS has a malfunction.
It's not his job to micromanage what goes on in Washington DC or anywhere else in the country. Isn't there a mayor? A school Superintendent?

People seem to love to put more on the President than is his right and responsibility.
__________________
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Nallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

OP really is reachin right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
 
tendrilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 183
Default That Jon Stewart clip is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitschy View Post
Jon Stewart: You didnít really use a teleprompter inside a classroom, did you, champ?

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/2...did-you-champ/
I'd already seen the Jon Stewart clip -- hilarious.

To be fair to Obama, I believe he was giving a speech to the press, and not just talking to the sixth graders.

Sure, all presidents use the Teleprompter. The problem is, when something is starting to make you look bad (as Obama's use of them is), if you are politically savvy you will try to limit that. Otherwise, it just gives cheap shots (or, some may say, legitimate shots) to the comedians, the media, and of course your political opponents. In politics, as unfair as it may be (just ask Bush), the famous saying is: "perception=reality." So you've got to be aware of how you are being perceived and not "step in it." For example, in about 2003, once we were in Iraq (or was it earlier, when we went to Afghanistan? I cannot remember when exactly), Bush stopped playing golf. He felt that it looked bad to have the POTUS out playing golf while our troops are out there at war. He knew that the press, the Democrats, et al., would have a field day with images of him playing golf in a time of war. It might not be fair (Obama plays golf all he wants, just like other presidents use Teleprompters), but that's the way the political and PR games work.
__________________
Dry climate
2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results!
tendrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
 
Poodlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,278
Default

For you. Obama's Home Teleprompter Malfunctions.
__________________
Minneapolis, MN
Poodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 402
Default

Obama did very nicely in the Q&A with the GOP today.....all without the use of a teleprompter.
Vaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #18
 
mandatoryfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendrilly View Post
Sure, all presidents use the Teleprompter. The problem is, when something is starting to make you look bad (as Obama's use of them is), if you are politically savvy you will try to limit that. Otherwise, it just gives cheap shots (or, some may say, legitimate shots) to the comedians, the media, and of course your political opponents. In politics, as unfair as it may be (just ask Bush), the famous saying is: "perception=reality." So you've got to be aware of how you are being perceived and not "step in it." For example, in about 2003, once we were in Iraq (or was it earlier, when we went to Afghanistan? I cannot remember when exactly), Bush stopped playing golf. He felt that it looked bad to have the POTUS out playing golf while our troops are out there at war. He knew that the press, the Democrats, et al., would have a field day with images of him playing golf in a time of war. It might not be fair (Obama plays golf all he wants, just like other presidents use Teleprompters), but that's the way the political and PR games work.
Bush wouldn't play golf because it reflected badly on him in a time of war...but he thought it'd be acceptable to take more vacation days than any other president ever??? LOL, what a shrewd politican!!!

I can think of worse things than "teleprompter dependency," or enjoying a game of golf from time to time. How about being a war criminal? Lololol!

You know what? I don't really care if Obama uses a prompter. I really don't. Do whatever you need to do to make Americans look good again, buddy. And I don't think most people care, honestly...I follow the BBC, The Wall St. Journal, The New York Times and occasionally AP, which seems like a pretty good spread to me. I've never heard anything about Obama's prompter dependency, and I've certainly never heard of this "TOTUS." It only seems to bother the most conservative of NC.com posters, and you've all hated Obama from the start, anyway.
__________________
CG since 07/26/09
mandatoryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
 
Boomygrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneda View Post
Obama did very nicely in the Q&A with the GOP today.....all without the use of a teleprompter.
I was about to say this, but you beat me to it.

Really, every president had used teleprompters. Why is it an issue now? It seems like the republican pundits want to find anything and everything to criticize Obama and have amnesia when it comes to their own guys. Puleeeeze!
__________________
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.


3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
 
Boomygrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,910
Default

So now Obama is in charge of Washing DC education system? Really?
He doesn't have that kind of power.
The repubs like to spin his every move...it's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Had he tried to change anythign in the local politics, he would be overstepping his boundaries...if he doesn't, then he incompetent, right?
My my my!
__________________
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.


3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com