Go Back   CurlTalk > Life > Politics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
 
wild~hair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
That's so interesting — the same critique from both sides. Remember the Patriot Act? I could easily see the same billboard during Bush 2.

Everyone in this country needs take a happy pill.
ummm....the billboard I posted can be applied to either side, which was really my point.
Ok.

What's the "ummm" and about, if we're in agreement?
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
 
misspam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
That's so interesting — the same critique from both sides. Remember the Patriot Act? I could easily see the same billboard during Bush 2.

Everyone in this country needs take a happy pill.
ummm....the billboard I posted can be applied to either side, which was really my point.
Ok.

What's the "ummm" and about, if we're in agreement?
Perhaps I misread your tone in your earlier reply. It looked to me as if you were solely focused on W, whereas I was not at all focused solely on Obama. My point is neither side is guiltless.

And I tend to use this when I am trying to convey bemusement. If I wanted to be sarcastic or b1tchy, I wouldve used this . Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
misspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 142
Default

I thought the billboard was hilarious, and If I were to compare the lesser of evils Bush vs. Obama, I would have say I do miss bush lol not only is obama carrying on torch of increase deficit hes beating Bush to a bloody pulp by quadrupling the deficit in the trillions and counting and obama can't blame bush for that he did it all by his dayum self
3cCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
 
Poodlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,278
Default

Gosh, you're right, I hate it when a President takes a country that is in fine fiscal shape with no extreme security issues and turns it into a disaster!

Oh, wait, it was Bush who did that. And left Obama with the pieces.

I'm convinced no one really wanted to win that election in 2008. They knew what a ----hole they were inheriting.
__________________
Minneapolis, MN
Poodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #25
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cCurly View Post
I thought the billboard was hilarious, and If I were to compare the lesser of evils Bush vs. Obama, I would have say I do miss bush lol not only is obama carrying on torch of increase deficit hes beating Bush to a bloody pulp by quadrupling the deficit in the trillions and counting and obama can't blame bush for that he did it all by his dayum self


You're indulging in fantasy...revisionist history. It's quite a common ailment among the rabidrightwingnuts these days...part of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome).
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #26
 
tikigods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 317
Default

Bush destroyed the integrity of the United States around the world. He constantly engaged in unilateral decision making and gave the United Nations a giant middle finger. The irony is that he campaigned on restoring integrity to the White House after the Clinton affair/impeachment.

Bush aligned himself with the religious right and tried forcing Christian principles down the throats of every American. He leaves office and asked if the Bible was literally true. “You know. Probably not. …" Meanwhile years of stem cell research was suspended because it violated God's law.

Bush sat in a classroom for over eight minutes while the United States was under attack. He sat there because he knew he was way over his head in the job of President. Bush had no idea what to do. Meanwhile Americans were burning and jumping to their deaths.

Bush inherited a robust economy, deficit spent, and nearly wrecked the entire US capitalist system in eight years.

Bush wiretapped, tortured, and repeatedly violated the civil rights of innocent, law biding Americans.

Bush should be the reason the Republican party is imploded and replaced by the Libertarians.
__________________
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."- Kurt Cobain

tikigods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
 
mandatoryfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigods View Post
Bush destroyed the integrity of the United States around the world. He constantly engaged in unilateral decision making and gave the United Nations a giant middle finger. The irony is that he campaigned on restoring integrity to the White House after the Clinton affair/impeachment.

Bush aligned himself with the religious right and tried forcing Christian principles down the throats of every American. He leaves office and asked if the Bible was literally true. “You know. Probably not. …" Meanwhile years of stem cell research was suspended because it violated God's law.

Bush sat in a classroom for over eight minutes while the United States was under attack. He sat there because he knew he was way over his head in the job of President. Bush had no idea what to do. Meanwhile Americans were burning and jumping to their deaths.

Bush inherited a robust economy, deficit spent, and nearly wrecked the entire US capitalist system in eight years.

Bush wiretapped, tortured, and repeatedly violated the civil rights of innocent, law biding Americans.

Bush should be the reason the Republican party is imploded and replaced by the Libertarians.
I totally agree with you, TG, so don't think I'm contesting your point. But I've always been confused by the bolded as a criticism of Bush. I've always thought, well...at that point, when the towers were burning, what could Bush really do? I assume that the other flights leaving that day had already been stopped, intelligence bureaus were already in the process of looking for suspects, etc. Am I missing something?

I definitely wonder why Bush hasn't received more criticism for essentially ignoring the Clinton administration's warnings about Al-Qaeda. If he hadn't, there'd be no reason for people to harp on about how he just sat in that classroom...
__________________
CG since 07/26/09
mandatoryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun View Post

I totally agree with you, TG, so don't think I'm contesting your point. But I've always been confused by the bolded as a criticism of Bush. I've always thought, well...at that point, when the towers were burning, what could Bush really do? I assume that the other flights leaving that day had already been stopped, intelligence bureaus were already in the process of looking for suspects, etc. Am I missing something?

I definitely wonder why Bush hasn't received more criticism for essentially ignoring the Clinton administration's warnings about Al-Qaeda. If he hadn't, there'd be no reason for people to harp on about how he just sat in that classroom...


I think there's a real perception out there in America that our president should actually be, you know, Commander in Chief of our armed forces. When Bush was informed of the possible attack, shouldn't he have gotten up or something? Taken charge? Manned the battlestations? Anything but continue reading My Pet Goat.

I think at least half of America thinks that Bush f*cked up royally with ignoring the threat of Al Qaeda. The middle eastern countries mostly already hated us prior to that, but Bush succeeded in making the rest of the world hate us too. We've criticized him for it. Remember the "I'm sorry world" website where millions of Americans recorded "I'm sorry" messages when Bush was re-elected in 2004? Many of us have been very ashamed to be Americans for a very long time now.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
 
Eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,127
Default

Nah, I don't hold Bush's immediate inaction upon learning about the Sept. 11 attacks against him. I'd have sympathy for anyone facing such a situation. And besides, the problem is the action that he did wind up taking.

Also, for those of you who've seen Curb Your Enthusiasm: a very short video.
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cCurly View Post
I thought the billboard was hilarious, and If I were to compare the lesser of evils Bush vs. Obama, I would have say I do miss bush lol not only is obama carrying on torch of increase deficit hes beating Bush to a bloody pulp by quadrupling the deficit in the trillions and counting and obama can't blame bush for that he did it all by his dayum self
You must have taken some hardcore drugs and damaged brain cells. So you're telling me this is all Obama even tho you admit he inherited the big problem itself?

Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right are f*ckin retarded as hell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr



Last edited by Cali Chik; 02-18-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #31
 
MichelleBFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cCurly View Post
I thought the billboard was hilarious, and If I were to compare the lesser of evils Bush vs. Obama, I would have say I do miss bush lol not only is obama carrying on torch of increase deficit hes beating Bush to a bloody pulp by quadrupling the deficit in the trillions and counting and obama can't blame bush for that he did it all by his dayum self
You must have taken some hardcore drugs and damaged brain cells. So you're telling me this is all Obama even tho you admit he inherited the big problem itself?

Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right f*ckin retarded as hell.
Hey now, no reason to namecall. Not everyone on the right is a loon.
__________________
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
MichelleBFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #32
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cCurly View Post
I thought the billboard was hilarious, and If I were to compare the lesser of evils Bush vs. Obama, I would have say I do miss bush lol not only is obama carrying on torch of increase deficit hes beating Bush to a bloody pulp by quadrupling the deficit in the trillions and counting and obama can't blame bush for that he did it all by his dayum self
You must have taken some hardcore drugs and damaged brain cells. So you're telling me this is all Obama even tho you admit he inherited the big problem itself?

Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right f*ckin retarded as hell.
Hey now, no reason to namecall. Not everyone on the right is a loon.
Find me one that's not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
 
RedCatWaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
You must have taken some hardcore drugs and damaged brain cells. So you're telling me this is all Obama even tho you admit he inherited the big problem itself?

Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right f*ckin retarded as hell.
Hey now, no reason to namecall. Not everyone on the right is a loon.
Find me one that's not.

I agree that most people on the extreme right seem to be excessively ignorant, intolerant, racist, sexist, hypocritical, and downright mean. I don't like the use of the word retarded though. It's an insult to retarded people.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #34
 
tendrilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right are f*ckin retarded as hell.
Cali Chik -- do you really believe that? That anyone who dares to have political opinions that differ from your own is "f*ckin retarded as hell" -- seriously? And specifically calling susancnw and 3cCurly that?

First, I would say: Relax. Calm down. Take it down a notch. You need to look around and realize that people have different opinions on things. That's a fact. Reasonable, educated, intelligent people are still going to disagree on things. Take 100 econ professors across the country. Are they all going to have the exact same plan on what do do next with the economy? Of course not. In your world, the 7 who agree with you are brilliant, and the 93 who differ, with plans all over the map, are "f-ing retards." Pretty ridiculous.

When you encounter someone with whom you have a disagreement, you can try to convince them of the wisdom of your side. You debate, you teach, you explain, you ask questions. Calling them names -- sprinkled with the f-bomb no less -- is childish, and undermines your argument.
__________________
Dry climate
2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results!
tendrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
 
misspam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
You must have taken some hardcore drugs and damaged brain cells. So you're telling me this is all Obama even tho you admit he inherited the big problem itself?

Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right f*ckin retarded as hell.
Hey now, no reason to namecall. Not everyone on the right is a loon.
Find me one that's not.
__________________
misspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #36
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendrilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Wow... well you and susancnw definitely prove what I've always said... ppl on the right are f*ckin retarded as hell.
Cali Chik -- do you really believe that? That anyone who dares to have political opinions that differ from your own is "f*ckin retarded as hell" -- seriously? And specifically calling susancnw and 3cCurly that?

First, I would say: Relax. Calm down. Take it down a notch. You need to look around and realize that people have different opinions on things. That's a fact. Reasonable, educated, intelligent people are still going to disagree on things. Take 100 econ professors across the country. Are they all going to have the exact same plan on what do do next with the economy? Of course not. In your world, the 7 who agree with you are brilliant, and the 93 who differ, with plans all over the map, are "f-ing retards." Pretty ridiculous.

When you encounter someone with whom you have a disagreement, you can try to convince them of the wisdom of your side. You debate, you teach, you explain, you ask questions. Calling them names -- sprinkled with the f-bomb no less -- is childish, and undermines your argument.
It has nothing to do with differing from my own opinion. It has to do with the logic they have used to form their opinion. I don't give a sh*t if ppl agree with me. They don't have to but at least have some reasonable logic when coming to whatever ever conclusion you've come to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #37
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBFT View Post

Hey now, no reason to namecall. Not everyone on the right is a loon.
Find me one that's not.

I agree that most people on the extreme right seem to be excessively ignorant, intolerant, racist, sexist, hypocritical, and downright mean. I don't like the use of the word retarded though. It's an insult to retarded people.
I guess. I meant what I said.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
 
Eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,127
Default

Honestly there are plenty of liberals who are hateful idiots. It's true that, unlike conservative idiots, they're not given a platform outside of message boards and blogs. And unlike the Republican party, the Democratic leadership doesn't cater to its idiot supporters. But there are certainly liberal idiots out there.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 02-18-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #39
 
Cali Chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
Honestly there are plenty of liberals who are hateful idiots. It's true that, unlike conservative idiots, they're not given a platform outside of message boards and blogs. And unlike the Republican party, the Democratic leadership doesn't cater to its idiot supporters. But there are certainly liberal idiots out there.
But see... I'm not even talkin about the ones in the media. I'm talkin about regular every day ppl.... and ppl on this board.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #40
 
MichelleBFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,734
Default

That's just a nasty way to be. I'm on the left, I generally disagree with the right, and I cannot understand how anyone can watch FoxNews without feeling sick to their stomach. But calling everyone on the other side of the fence names isn't helpful to anyone, and in fact gives them more fodder. Don't do it. Be better than that.
__________________
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.
MichelleBFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com