CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Pregnancy & Parenting (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/pregnancy-parenting/)
-   -   Jekyll and Hyde Baby (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/pregnancy-parenting/35915-jekyll-hyde-baby.html)

CurlieGlamourGirlie 01-03-2008 10:00 PM

Jekyll and Hyde Baby
 
Now, maybe this is because I did a 6-week run of Jekyll and Hyde when Luke was in utero, but the last few days he's been angellic during the day, sleeping beautifully, feeding lovely and at night he's screaming bloody murder and takes forever to get him to go to sleep. He'll be out cold and then as soon as I put him down he pops awake and freaks.

Any suggestions??

Thanks from an obviously clueless first timer! :confused:

Sigi 01-03-2008 10:46 PM

Maybe he's screaming because he's got gas? That's the only thing I can think of.

When you go to lay him down, keep your hand on his tummy for a few minutes so he can still feel your warmth (if that makes any sense). No matter what happens though, don't let him confuse his days and nights. It's happened to me both times and it's so hard to get straightened out.

CurlieGlamourGirlie 01-04-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigi (Post 456092)
Maybe he's screaming because he's got gas? That's the only thing I can think of.

When you go to lay him down, keep your hand on his tummy for a few minutes so he can still feel your warmth (if that makes any sense). No matter what happens though, don't let him confuse his days and nights. It's happened to me both times and it's so hard to get straightened out.

How do I know if he's confused his days and nights? And how did you straighten it out???

Mamacurl3 01-04-2008 07:26 AM

Do you swaddle? Sleeps on his back? When they are itty bitty, being exposed to the big wide open still feels overwhelming for them...swaddling helps. My kids never liked to sleep on their backs, so they tummy slept and that helped. Could be gas too like the other poster mentioned, gripe water is supposed to be good for that..or you could boost your intake of these spices/herbs since you are nursing and he'll get them that way:

Anise to aid digestion
Caraway to relieve flatulence and indigestion
Cardamom to relieves flatulence and indigestion
Chamomile to settle the stomach
Cinnamon bark to aid digestion and relieve flatulence and vomiting
Dill to dispels flatulence, stimulate appetite and settle stomach
Fennel for stomach upset, hiccups, gas
Ginger to ease nausea and other digestive problems

GL

Violeta77 01-04-2008 08:07 AM

I don't have kids, so totally disregard this if it's wrong, but I've always heard that it's better to put a baby to bed while sleepy/groggy rather then totally asleep. Anyone have insight?

cajuncurls 01-04-2008 08:08 AM

I'm a thirdtimer and I'm still confused. These ladies offered great tips-use them. And don't worry. He'll get on track, it just takes a little while. Elli was awful for the first 2 months, now she sleeps from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. without waking (since 9 weeks or so). And I can't tell you how I did it because I have no idea!

CurlieGlamourGirlie 01-04-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamacurl3 (Post 456175)
Do you swaddle? Sleeps on his back? When they are itty bitty, being exposed to the big wide open still feels overwhelming for them...swaddling helps. My kids never liked to sleep on their backs, so they tummy slept and that helped. Could be gas too like the other poster mentioned, gripe water is supposed to be good for that..or you could boost your intake of these spices/herbs since you are nursing and he'll get them that way:

Anise to aid digestion
Caraway to relieve flatulence and indigestion
Cardamom to relieves flatulence and indigestion
Chamomile to settle the stomach
Cinnamon bark to aid digestion and relieve flatulence and vomiting
Dill to dispels flatulence, stimulate appetite and settle stomach
Fennel for stomach upset, hiccups, gas
Ginger to ease nausea and other digestive problems

GL

I wonder if it's gas because he screams out of nowhere sometimes. But it's 99% only at night. My mom showed us the swaddle and it was like manna from heaven!

Thanks for all the advice and Cajun - I feel better just being able to share my woes and get advice!

Amneris 01-04-2008 09:46 AM

He's so new, he's probably missing the feeling of being inside. Do you co-sleep so he can be close? JJ used to have a hard time settling to sleep too - he liked to be near me and still doesn't sleep well without me.

geeky 01-04-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Violeta77 (Post 456183)
I don't have kids, so totally disregard this if it's wrong, but I've always heard that it's better to put a baby to bed while sleepy/groggy rather then totally asleep. Anyone have insight?

It's a good idea in theory. In practice sometimes it works, a lot of times it does not.

wavezncurlz 01-04-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlieGlamourGirlie (Post 456056)
Now, maybe this is because I did a 6-week run of Jekyll and Hyde when Luke was in utero, but the last few days he's been angellic during the day, sleeping beautifully, feeding lovely and at night he's screaming bloody murder and takes forever to get him to go to sleep. He'll be out cold and then as soon as I put him down he pops awake and freaks.

Any suggestions??

Thanks from an obviously clueless first timer! :confused:

I'm a second timer and I'm going through the same thing with my 5 week old. I remember feeling this way last time too. At around 6-7 weeks, it got better.

Kaia 01-04-2008 12:00 PM

I had the same problem, so I just took Dylan to bed with me. He won't even sleep in the co-sleeper with my hand on him, he has to feel my body next to him. During the day, he sleps just fine in his bouncy seat and even slept in the co-sleeper alone once, but at night, it's a no-go. If you're very opposed to co-sleeping, this obviously won't help you though.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you wait until he's in deep sleep to put him down. If he's still in REM sleep (his eyes moving), he'll wake right back up wen you put him down. Wait until his eyes stop moving and he's all limp, and you might have an easier time putting him in the crib. Also, if the sheet is cold that could wake him, so maybe try laying out a fleece blanket in his crib to lay him on.

Good luck!

RedCatWaves 01-04-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Also, if the sheet is cold that could wake him, so maybe try laying out a fleece blanket in his crib to lay him on.
I wouldn't lay a loose blanket...loose blankets in a crib with young baby are a no-no, as they increase the risk of SIDS. BUT, that did just remind me of a trick I used to use with one of my kids who seemed to dislike cold sheets. I kept a heating pad near the crib and used that to pre-warm the sheets before putting him to bed. You just have to be careful to remove the heating pad when baby is actually in the crib.

CurlieGlamourGirlie 01-04-2008 06:59 PM

I'm willing to try anything, even co-sleeping, just not sure how to do it with making sure Luke is safe. I'll be happy to take any guidelines on it!!

Kaia 01-04-2008 07:17 PM

Here's a Dr Sears article on co-sleeping safety: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

and kellymom info including links to lots of other articles: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/familybed.html

mad scientist 01-04-2008 08:06 PM

I remember 4-8 weeks just being a screamfest with DS. He was terrible day and night. Then miraculously he totally chilled out.

I coslept with my son when he was older (6 months and up) but I just can't get comfortable cosleeping with a newborn. I had intended to this time around, but its not feeling right. So I let her fall asleep on me, and then tightly swaddle her and put her back in the crib that is next to our bed. BFing isn't yet established for us, so no pacifiers, but those definitely helped calm my son down.

Brown_Eyed_Girl 01-04-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCatWaves (Post 456550)
Quote:

Also, if the sheet is cold that could wake him, so maybe try laying out a fleece blanket in his crib to lay him on.
I wouldn't lay a loose blanket...loose blankets in a crib with young baby are a no-no, as they increase the risk of SIDS. BUT, that did just remind me of a trick I used to use with one of my kids who seemed to dislike cold sheets. I kept a heating pad near the crib and used that to pre-warm the sheets before putting him to bed. You just have to be careful to remove the heating pad when baby is actually in the crib.

I can't remember if it was on this forum or another one, but someone mentioned using flannel sheets because they don't feel as cold as regular ones. I think they mentioned jersey sheets as well, but I've never used those, so I don't know if they feel the same as regular sheets or not. (And I have no idea what options there are for cribs :).)

nynaeve77 01-04-2008 08:52 PM

Oh, you poor thing! I so remember that phase with my daughter. She would sleep during the day and be up all night long. I tried everything to keep her awake during the day, and nothing worked. I would literally pick her arms up and they would just flop back down...she was out cold.

It's just a phase. Most babies outgrow it at around 8 wks. I know that seems like forever from now when you're sleep deprived, but once it passes, you'll both feel much better. Not much consolation now, I know, though...

RedCatWaves 01-04-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlieGlamourGirlie (Post 456779)
I'm willing to try anything, even co-sleeping, just not sure how to do it with making sure Luke is safe. I'll be happy to take any guidelines on it!!

Sleeping with babies isn't hard. You just take the same precautions as you would if they were in a crib...no loose blankets, well-fitted sheet, no pillow, etc. You kind of have to make a spot for them between you and your husband and keep the covers down lower. It doesn't work well with adults who are thrashers though.

I couldn't sleep well with a baby in the bed with me...just couldn't get comfortable, but my husband would sleep with them on his chest often. He's a back sleeper, so it worked well for him to do it like that. We mostly put them back in their separate bassinette or crib in our room after feedings though...it's still considered co-sleeping even if they are in a separate bed.

marielle448 01-05-2008 09:15 AM

cosleeping is what has worked for our family but if you want to keep a spot warm on the crib (and I'm talking warm not hot) then just heat up a rice sock for a couple of minutes in the microwave, put it in the crib and then swap out with baby when he's asleep.

Just about every baby goes through this adjustment period where they have an evening "witching hour" or what some call the grandmother hour from about 5-7pm. They settle into their own routine without any push from the parents once their bodies adjust to their new surroundings. Just be sure to pay attention to his sleep cues and realize that he may need an early afternoon rest that he's missing and might push his evening bedtime further out until he readjusts.

CurlieGlamourGirlie 01-05-2008 11:58 AM

This is a fabulous thread guys - thanks for all of the advice. Luke slept AMAZINGLY last night. (Of course it was Daddy's night where I sleep non-stop for about 6 hours - at the pediatrician's rec.) And he was so good this morning. No screaming, just letting me know he was hungry.

It's all so much trial and error. But glad to know everyone goes through it!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com