OB handing out formula samples -WWYD?

I see a practice that has a couple of forward-thinking OBs and a couple of midwives. The hospital they deliver at is also relatively pro NCB. They routinely don't separate moms and babies at all and I've heard from the local LLL leader what great breastfeeding support they offer.

So I was pretty put off when the nurse handed me one of those stupid formula gift bags, without any sort of discussion about how I plan to feed my baby. I took the formula bottle out and gave it back and said I did not need it (I took the baggie because it was a nice toiletry bag and I am a whore. I just cut off all the Similac labels).

Now I am thinking I should write a letter telling them that I was disappointed, and that a FTM mom who is undecided would likely interpret that as their endorsement of formula over breastmilk, and surely they would not want to do that.

Would you do it? What would you say? Who do I address it to? The senior OB (that I never met)? The OB I did meet?
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
I think a letter is a great idea. Maybe send two copies--one to your OB and one to the senior OB.

I personally wouldn't do anything because I don't think it's a big deal. I got some formula samples (not from the OB) and kept them just in case. I figured if we have some kind of emergency where I can't breastfeed, the last thing we'll want to be doing is running out to the store for some formula.

Since you are offended by this, i think the letter is a good idea. I would address it to the head of the practice and maybe one to the hospital they're associated with since that's probably where they get the gift bags.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
Send the letter. It didn't bother me (I love freebies even if I have no plans to use them) but I can see your point of it being viewed as an endorsement over breastfeeding. If anything, they should be talking to all their patients about the benefits of breastfeeding. They can still give out the bags, but at least provide a disclaimer.
It's not a big deal to me personally. My mind is made up anyway, and I am not likely to take nutritional/bf advice from a doctor (because I know how little they know). It bugs me because a FTM who did not do much research and who takes a doc's word more seriously will react differently.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
It's not a big deal to me personally. My mind is made up anyway, and I am not likely to take nutritional/bf advice from a doctor (because I know how little they know). It bugs me because a FTM who did not do much research and who takes a doc's word more seriously will react differently.
Originally Posted by geeky
I agree. I don't like the message it sends. I really believe that subtle things like this contribute to our society's low breastfeeding rate. It is reinforcing the idea that formula feeding is easier and just as healthy.

The nurse at least could have spoken to you about the benefits of breastfeeding and asked you about any thoughts, fears and reservations you had about it before giving you the formula. For a woman who is on the fence and maybe has some misinformation or fears about breastfeeding, just giving her formula at the doctor's office can to a lot to persuade her not to breastfeed before she's ever even tried it. JMO.

I didn't mind getting the freebies, but I never gave my daughter formula. I knew I was going to BF unless something didn't work biologically. I dunno, I don't know any of my friends who didn't breastfeed. We must all be a bunch of hippies! LOL
"Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas
-----------------------------------------------
My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
Password: orphanannie
I didn't mind the freebies. I actually gave away the formula to the mom's in the daycare that used it. Saved them some money...I used the other freebies (coupons etc). My hospital was so pro breastfeeding it was great. We had a lacation consultant come in every day to work with you. My milk came in the last day I was there....I was so glad that happened. They helped me out tremendously.

They did frown on my paci use but Chas never got confused which nipple had the real stuff.
I would write something or say something. I think they should provide balanced nutrition information for families. That should include equal (if not more) support materials for breastfeeding as there is for formula.
hello.world.
I wouldn't be happy about it either and I'd definitely write the sr. ob and CC your ob.

It wouldn't be so annoying if you actually received information, heck even a free copy of a nursing book (I received WTEWYE blegh) from your OB. If the nurse sat with you several visits in the third trimester to prepare you for what is the logical phisiological next step in your pregnancy. Does any of this happen? Do OBs educate their patients on breastfeeding beyond "breast is best"? Do they offer LCs in house? No.

Most people don't see an LC until they're struggling in the hospital. Some people take breastfeeding classes but IMO they are useless. You're better off going to several LLL meetings where you'll see various nursing pairs as well as get BTDT advice from different moms. You'll get reliable (unmarred by formula money) advice from LLL leaders and have access to a large library (for free) of nursing and parenting books that you're not likely to find at your local bookstore or even library.
You're better off going to several LLL meetings where you'll see various nursing pairs as well as get BTDT advice from different moms. You'll get reliable (unmarred by formula money) advice from LLL leaders and have access to a large library (for free) of nursing and parenting books that you're not likely to find at your local bookstore or even library.
Originally Posted by marielle448
That is what I am doing. LLL has this "nipple Nazi" reputation, but from my experience most of the leaders and members are really great and genuinely want to help other moms.

You're better off going to several LLL meetings where you'll see various nursing pairs as well as get BTDT advice from different moms. You'll get reliable (unmarred by formula money) advice from LLL leaders and have access to a large library (for free) of nursing and parenting books that you're not likely to find at your local bookstore or even library.
Originally Posted by marielle448
That is what I am doing. LLL has this "nipple Nazi" reputation, but from my experience most of the leaders and members are really great and genuinely want to help other moms.
Originally Posted by iris427
Guano: Have you started going yet? I'm on the local LLL's online group, but I haven't gone to a meeting yet...I wasn't sure when I should start going.

The "nipple Nazi" reputation doesn't bother me at all. I grew up going to LLL meetings with my mom.
Life with Lydia

Geeky, considering that the practice you go to is pretty forward-thinking, I would probably write a letter too, telling them the impression you think this gives to some first-time moms. Like some of the others have said, it seems to me that a better approach would be for the nurse to talk to the patient about how they plan to feed the baby, concerns, etc. If the patient does plan to use formula, give the samples to those patients.
Life with Lydia

Mine did that, and I was TICKED. I gave it back, and I did write a letter to my O/B and to the head of the practice. I recommend doing that for the reasons given in this thread.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali











You're better off going to several LLL meetings where you'll see various nursing pairs as well as get BTDT advice from different moms. You'll get reliable (unmarred by formula money) advice from LLL leaders and have access to a large library (for free) of nursing and parenting books that you're not likely to find at your local bookstore or even library.
Originally Posted by marielle448
That is what I am doing. LLL has this "nipple Nazi" reputation, but from my experience most of the leaders and members are really great and genuinely want to help other moms.
Originally Posted by iris427
Guano: Have you started going yet? I'm on the local LLL's online group, but I haven't gone to a meeting yet...I wasn't sure when I should start going.

The "nipple Nazi" reputation doesn't bother me at all. I grew up going to LLL meetings with my mom.
Originally Posted by Brown_Eyed_Girl
I have already gone to one meeting, mainly because I wanted to get practitioner recommendations and because I wanted to check out their library. And I guess I will have to again next month to return the books we checked out

Otherwise I might have held off. But they did not think it was weird that I was there so early. I think you should start going whenever you want. And you don't have to go every month of course. I also wanted to find a chapter I liked now, so that I would have that in case I go into labor earlier than expected or whatever.

The nipple Nazi reputation bothers me, only because I think it deters some women from going to to LLL, and they are such a great resource.

Any formula I received, was donated to a local food bank once DS was on homo milk. I kept a small stock JIC something happened to me. I figure a food bank recipient might as well benefit rather than just giving it back to the company.
Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

for me, it wasnt that serious. every woman knows/has heard that "breast is best." and if a simple free sample changes their mind, then breastfeeding wasnt for them anyway. i think a simple, "no thank you" would suffice.

near the end of my pregnancy, my one of the nurses at my OB had asked me if i had planned to breastfeed and when i told her yes, she gave me one of those sample packs, "just in case." then once baby was born, my body still hadnt produced anything. no colostrum no milk no nothing. so i gave her formula. once my milk came in, we still had problems latching on so i still supplemented with formula. those free sample packs came in handy! of course, majerle and i both got the hang of breastfeeding and the one can of formula i actually did have to buy "just in case" is still sitting on top of the refrigerator just as full as it was the day we bought it.
for me, it wasnt that serious. every woman knows/has heard that "breast is best." and if a simple free sample changes their mind, then breastfeeding wasnt for them anyway. i think a simple, "no thank you" would suffice.
Originally Posted by subbrock
I don't agree. A doctor giving you something is, in most people's eyes, tantamount to his saying "this is what I think is the healthiest option for you." I've heard many people mistakenly say formula is just as good, or that the benefits of breastfeeding must be exaggerated because "I was formula fed and I turned out fine." So not everyone really understands that breast milk is best and the many reasons why. And in that case, a formula sample, especially from their doctor, might really just reinforce misconceptions.


That is what I am doing. LLL has this "nipple Nazi" reputation, but from my experience most of the leaders and members are really great and genuinely want to help other moms.
Originally Posted by iris427
Guano: Have you started going yet? I'm on the local LLL's online group, but I haven't gone to a meeting yet...I wasn't sure when I should start going.

The "nipple Nazi" reputation doesn't bother me at all. I grew up going to LLL meetings with my mom.
Originally Posted by Brown_Eyed_Girl
I have already gone to one meeting, mainly because I wanted to get practitioner recommendations and because I wanted to check out their library. And I guess I will have to again next month to return the books we checked out

Otherwise I might have held off. But they did not think it was weird that I was there so early. I think you should start going whenever you want. And you don't have to go every month of course. I also wanted to find a chapter I liked now, so that I would have that in case I go into labor earlier than expected or whatever.
Originally Posted by iris427
Cool, maybe I'll start going soon. The library is definitely calling to me...

The nipple Nazi reputation bothers me, only because I think it deters some women from going to to LLL, and they are such a great resource.
Originally Posted by iris427
This is definitely true. I meant the reputation doesn't deter me personally, but I think it's a shame people have that perception of them.
Life with Lydia

I would write a letter.

I've never had this experience, though. In all the doctor's offices and mat wards I've dealt with, you get a freebie bag with coupons that you can send in for free formula samples. But there were no actual samples in the bag.

I think that's by law here and in Cali?


Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com