CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Protein-craving (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-craving/)
-   -   Love/hate protein! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-craving/135935-love-hate-protein.html)

Cuban-curl-E 11-15-2011 07:14 PM

Love/hate protein!
 
Ok, so curl wizard informed me that my hair is fine and low porosity so all the product recs included protein! I'd been avoiding them bc I thought my hair was dried out and hard because of them. I decided to try proteins again so I did IAgirl's gelatin PT and my hair was curlier and not hard or dry. I then started using a protein LI , protein gel and my hair is hard, dry and frizzy!

Is this what it's supposed to feel like?Am I somewhat sensitive to proteins so should limit them? Do I up the moisture? Is it the low porosity that makes my hair so hard and crunchy?

This confirms I can't get crazy with protein so maybe my hair isn't all that fine? I just co-washed and styled without any protein and hair is soft again. What do I do?!?!?

pedaheh 11-17-2011 07:12 PM

Could be lots of things. Could be your hair doesn't like the protein in your leave in. Could be you need more moisture to balance it. Could be that protein in a daily leave in is too much for your hair.
For me (fine hair) PTs are very important, but I don't have protein in all my products. It doesn't make much difference to me if I have daily protein or not. JaJC has fine hair too. She can't do PTs at all, but must have protein in her daily products.

kathymack 11-18-2011 06:04 AM

I do at least one PT a week and use lots of protein in my products. The only time I remember having an issue was when I used gel with protein (Giovanni LA Naturals comes to mind.)

As pedaheh said, it could be the particular protein. Why don't you try the protein in the other products--but not the protein gel?? and then do the opposite and see if you can narrow down the problem. The other thing to try is one product with protein and the rest with none and see if you can identify the particular protein.

Cuban-curl-E 11-18-2011 03:36 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I am gonna try to figure out what it is that makes my hair so hard and dried out. My current hypothesis is that occasional PTs are good for me, regular use of protein rich products not so much.

Kathy I was gonna PM you about this! How much does porosity play into this?

kathymack 11-19-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuban-curl-E (Post 1814768)
Thanks for your suggestions. I am gonna try to figure out what it is that makes my hair so hard and dried out. My current hypothesis is that occasional PTs are good for me, regular use of protein rich products not so much.

Kathy I was gonna PM you about this! How much does porosity play into this?

I really don't know the answer to this, my hair is low porosity and LOVES, LOVES, LOVES protein. Pedaheh posted this link to a Curl Chemist article in another thread, which may give you some insight: Porosity and Curly Hair

An important part of the whole equation is getting the balance between the protein and moisture right. You may need to use more moisturizing products.

CalamityM 12-07-2011 07:18 AM

My hair LOVES protein, but protein treatments dried it out and made it feel horrible. What I do is make sure that there is a protein my hair likes in my conditioner and let it sit in my hair for 5 minutes. My hair seems to really like silk based protein. My favorite conditioner is Olive Oil conditioner by Regis. I have fine hair and this doesn't weigh it down but keeps it really soft and healthy.

Cuban-curl-E 12-07-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalamityM (Post 1829693)
My hair LOVES protein, but protein treatments dried it out and made it feel horrible. What I do is make sure that there is a protein my hair likes in my conditioner and let it sit in my hair for 5 minutes. My hair seems to really like silk based protein. My favorite conditioner is Olive Oil conditioner by Regis. I have fine hair and this doesn't weigh it down but keeps it really soft and healthy.

When you say your hair loves protein what exactly happens? What does the protein do that makes you want to add it to your conditioners?

For me, I have pretty defined curl pattern so don't really need more spring unless I've overconditioned or have build up. When I add protein I then have to add so much moisture that I don't see the benefit.

I think for now I'll add protein as needed but not on a regular basis. I'll try your suggestion and see if I can pinpoint proteins I tolerate better.

CalamityM 12-15-2011 02:17 PM

When my hair is in need of a protein boost it tends to form more pulled out S shaped curls. It doesn't have much body either and wants to stick close to my scalp. When I use a good conditioner with enough protein my hair perks up. My curls are more ringlet like and I have lots of lift at the root area. If I never used protein my hair would probably end up just looking wavy after a week or so. It really needs protein to give it enough strength to hold the curl and maintain it's bouncy shape.

NaturallyNiké 12-17-2011 09:38 PM

If you are low porosity chances are high that you don't need protein as much as some one with high porosity would since your hair has the ability to hold onto moisture...

Protein attracts moisture, you have to keep it balanced, that's why when you hair lacks protein it wont hold on to moisture


Focus on moisture, and only give your hair protein when it's obviously in need, you hair is getting crazy hard because you are overloading it with something it already has...

Cuban-curl-E 12-18-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturallyNiké (Post 1838189)
If you are low porosity chances are high that you don't need protein as much as some one with high porosity would since your hair has the ability to hold onto moisture...

Protein attracts moisture, you have to keep it balanced, that's why when you hair lacks protein it wont hold on to moisture


Focus on moisture, and only give your hair protein when it's obviously in need, you hair is getting crazy hard because you are overloading it with something it already has...

NN, I agree with you. I think the porosity must have alot to do with my protein sensitivity. Also, thank you for confirming what I've been thinking -- if it ain't broke... My hair curls just fine and isn't droopy or damaged so why add extra protein on a regular? I'll add on an as needed basis but because I've been told my hair is fine I'm "supposed" to love protein. Someone needs to tell my hair!!!

Sweet_Curls 02-13-2012 09:41 AM

I love Giovanni deep treatment!
 
I mix Giovanni deep treatment with a little olive oil, leave it overnight and it does wonders for my curls.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com