CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Protein-sensitive (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-sensitive/)
-   -   Good Products for Protein-Sensitive Hair? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-sensitive/140964-good-products-protein-sensitive-hair.html)

bjoseph5 02-28-2012 02:39 PM

Good Products for Protein-Sensitive Hair?
 
I'm trying to find some good moisturizers and conditioners for my hair. I'm protein-sensitive so I'm looking for hair products with little to no protein in them. I've heard good things about shea moisture, kinky curly, giovanni, etc. Theres so many products to choose from and sometimes it can be very overwhelming. Please help!

Naturally1908 02-29-2012 08:15 AM

Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.

bjoseph5 02-29-2012 04:41 PM

Thank you. Do they sell Oyin in stores or would I have to purchase it online?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturally1908 (Post 1897377)
Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

Valeriia.Sua 02-29-2012 09:55 PM

There Honey Hemp Conditioner has protein in it. :spiderman:

Honey Hemp Conditioner contains: purified water, organic aloe vera gel, behentremonium methosulfate (emulsifier derived from colza oil), honey, virgin hemp oil, , coconut oil, vegetable glycerine, hydrolized silk, citrus essences, fragrance, optiphen (preservative)

Honey Hemp Conditioner - condition - shop by need - hair

Otherwise I like their Hair Dew:love1: and the Burnt Sugar pomade.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturally1908 (Post 1897377)
Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.


bjoseph5 03-02-2012 12:39 PM

Thanks! I'll look into it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valeriia.Sua (Post 1898104)
There Honey Hemp Conditioner has protein in it. :spiderman:

Honey Hemp Conditioner contains: purified water, organic aloe vera gel, behentremonium methosulfate (emulsifier derived from colza oil), honey, virgin hemp oil, , coconut oil, vegetable glycerine, hydrolized silk, citrus essences, fragrance, optiphen (preservative)

Honey Hemp Conditioner - condition - shop by need - hair

Otherwise I like their Hair Dew:love1: and the Burnt Sugar pomade.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturally1908 (Post 1897377)
Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.




Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

asianrunner 03-10-2012 12:46 PM

I thought Shea Moisture had protein but I could be wrong...

bjoseph5 03-12-2012 07:32 AM

Yeah I've heard that as well but when I checked the ingredients, I didn't see protein on there. I'll try it and see if my hair likes it

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianrunner (Post 1904552)
I thought Shea Moisture had protein but I could be wrong...



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

asianrunner 03-12-2012 07:13 PM

It could be that not all SM products have protein either. The only SM products I've tried (and disliked) was the Smoothie and I'm pretty sure that had protein.

bjoseph5 03-14-2012 07:14 PM

Aww :( that was one of the products I wanted to try. Well I guess I'll just try the deep treatment masque, as well as the shampoo & conditioner. Thanks everybody!

Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

cassochinadoll 03-16-2012 10:27 PM

Oyin handmade and Shea moisture do contain proteins. Be aware that there are natural sources of protein. Coconut oil, avocado oil, Wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil all are huge sources of protein. Go to mountainroseherbs.com and look at the information about each oil. You can also look up any oil you are interested in individually on google. Finding products with no protein in non-natural products is easy because you just look for key words like "protein" "hydrolyzed" etc. In natural products, it requires a bit of knowledge in order to choose because you have to know which ingredients are natural sources of protein. The natural ones are less potent because they are not specifically designed for the hair shaft however, if your hair is VERY sensitive like mine, then you should be careful about the protein regardless of the source.

Hope this helps
-Cassochinadoll

Sistapopdemcurl 03-17-2012 08:53 PM

Giovanni has protein. I can't use the shampoo or the leave in. I only use the conditioner, but a good conditioner is dessert essence coconut conditioner

bjoseph5 03-19-2012 10:34 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Other that vegetable & hydrolyzed wheat protein, I wasn't sure what other types of proteins are out there. This can be so frustrating sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassochinadoll (Post 1909823)
Oyin handmade and Shea moisture do contain proteins. Be aware that there are natural sources of protein. Coconut oil, avocado oil, Wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil all are huge sources of protein. Go to mountainroseherbs.com and look at the information about each oil. You can also look up any oil you are interested in individually on google. Finding products with no protein in non-natural products is easy because you just look for key words like "protein" "hydrolyzed" etc. In natural products, it requires a bit of knowledge in order to choose because you have to know which ingredients are natural sources of protein. The natural ones are less potent because they are not specifically designed for the hair shaft however, if your hair is VERY sensitive like mine, then you should be careful about the protein regardless of the source.

Hope this helps
-Cassochinadoll



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

bjoseph5 03-19-2012 10:34 AM

Yeah I wanted to try Giovanni too but when I looked at the ingredients, I saw that it has vegetable protein so I'm just going to avoid it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistapopdemcurl (Post 1910473)
Giovanni has protein. I can't use the shampoo or the leave in. I only use the conditioner, but a good conditioner is dessert essence coconut conditioner



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

bjoseph5 03-19-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks again, who makes the dessert essence conditioner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistapopdemcurl (Post 1910473)
Giovanni has protein. I can't use the shampoo or the leave in. I only use the conditioner, but a good conditioner is dessert essence coconut conditioner



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

Sistapopdemcurl 03-20-2012 08:43 AM

I am not sure, but swansonsvitamin.com as it the cheapest per bottles.

bjoseph5 03-20-2012 06:43 PM

Ok thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistapopdemcurl (Post 1912401)
I am not sure, but swansonsvitamin.com as it the cheapest per bottles.



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

asianrunner 03-21-2012 05:52 PM

I thought the Desert Essences conditioner was really light, but I only tried the Italian Red Grape.

bjoseph5 03-27-2012 08:46 AM

Where do you get it from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianrunner (Post 1913732)
I thought the Desert Essences conditioner was really light, but I only tried the Italian Red Grape.



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

bjoseph5 03-27-2012 08:47 AM

I used natural shea butter to seal my ends & my hair seems to like it. I'm going to braid my hair tonight & use some shea moisture (the non hibiscus kind) so I can see how my hair reacts to it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

asianrunner 03-27-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjoseph5 (Post 1917951)
Where do you get it from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianrunner (Post 1913732)
I thought the Desert Essences conditioner was really light, but I only tried the Italian Red Grape.



Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App

I found it at my local co-op.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com