Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Protein-sensitive

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Default protein is making my hair less curly?

Hi, so I'm pretty sure my hair is protein sensitive. I know my hair does not like keratin at all, it just makes it rough and dry, but vegetable proteins are a little more questionable. My hair can handle them better than keratin, and sometimes they do seem to reduce frizz quite a bit, but that might just be because they also make my hair straight! I have 2a waves that with products can easily be 2b, but protein makes them more like 1c. I've read that if anything, protein should perk up your curls. Does this mean I'm just protein sensitive period and should avoid all protein?
mrsjessepinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjessepinkman View Post
Hi, so I'm pretty sure my hair is protein sensitive. I know my hair does not like keratin at all, it just makes it rough and dry, but vegetable proteins are a little more questionable. My hair can handle them better than keratin, and sometimes they do seem to reduce frizz quite a bit, but that might just be because they also make my hair straight! I have 2a waves that with products can easily be 2b, but protein makes them more like 1c. I've read that if anything, protein should perk up your curls. Does this mean I'm just protein sensitive period and should avoid all protein?
What are your hair properties? Protein tends to work well for fine or damaged hair, much less successful on coarse hair. I'm not convinced by the simple craving or sensitive distinction, I suspect it is a spectrum - some seem to do well with certain types of proteins, or only deep treatments but not leave in conditioners or vice versa. Some need to always follow deep treatments with a deep conditioner.

My hair is colour treated and porous, it seems to do better with protein within a conditioner base than the hard drying type, but not combined with other major humectants like propylene glycol or glycerin.

Science-y Hair Blog: Update to Hydrolyzed Protein List
Science-y Hair Blog: Mysteries of Hydrolyzed Proteins
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Size matters : Protein Conditioning (part 1 of 2)
Proteins: Why You Should Care
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjessepinkman View Post
Hi, so I'm pretty sure my hair is protein sensitive. I know my hair does not like keratin at all, it just makes it rough and dry, but vegetable proteins are a little more questionable. My hair can handle them better than keratin, and sometimes they do seem to reduce frizz quite a bit, but that might just be because they also make my hair straight! I have 2a waves that with products can easily be 2b, but protein makes them more like 1c. I've read that if anything, protein should perk up your curls. Does this mean I'm just protein sensitive period and should avoid all protein?
What are your hair properties? Protein tends to work well for fine or damaged hair, much less successful on coarse hair. I'm not convinced by the simple craving or sensitive distinction, I suspect it is a spectrum - some seem to do well with certain types of proteins, or only deep treatments but not leave in conditioners or vice versa. Some need to always follow deep treatments with a deep conditioner.

My hair is colour treated and porous, it seems to do better with protein within a conditioner base than the hard drying type, but not combined with other major humectants like propylene glycol or glycerin.

Science-y Hair Blog: Update to Hydrolyzed Protein List
Science-y Hair Blog: Mysteries of Hydrolyzed Proteins
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Size matters : Protein Conditioning (part 1 of 2)
Proteins: Why You Should Care
Right now my hair is a mix of virgin hair and highlights that I am growing out. I'd say my strands are probably medium thickness, and high density. Even my highlighted strands are very resilient and rather low porosity. My hair will get extremely dry and rough before showing damage in the form of split ends and breakage, to the the point that it's astonished my hairdressers, lol! In the past I've damaged my hair horribly and it was just an absolute mess, but breakage wasn't a big problem! My virgin hair is extremely resilient and difficult to break. Though I wouldn't call my hair coarse, it acts like coarse hair with how resilient it is. It is, however, very easy to dry my hair out and difficult to get enough moisture in it. Once there is moisture in my hair, I don't lose it easily. If I were to not was my hair for a week, my ends would not dry out. When my hair was more damaged they would, but now my hair retains moisture very well, it's just a matter of getting it in. I have noticed that I do much better with hydrolyzed proteins than others! Sorry for the novel I wrote and thanks for the great links and your time!
mrsjessepinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjessepinkman View Post
Right now my hair is a mix of virgin hair and highlights that I am growing out. I'd say my strands are probably medium thickness, and high density. Even my highlighted strands are very resilient and rather low porosity. My hair will get extremely dry and rough before showing damage in the form of split ends and breakage, to the the point that it's astonished my hairdressers, lol! In the past I've damaged my hair horribly and it was just an absolute mess, but breakage wasn't a big problem! My virgin hair is extremely resilient and difficult to break. Though I wouldn't call my hair coarse, it acts like coarse hair with how resilient it is. It is, however, very easy to dry my hair out and difficult to get enough moisture in it. Once there is moisture in my hair, I don't lose it easily. If I were to not was my hair for a week, my ends would not dry out. When my hair was more damaged they would, but now my hair retains moisture very well, it's just a matter of getting it in. I have noticed that I do much better with hydrolyzed proteins than others! Sorry for the novel I wrote and thanks for the great links and your time!
Essays and novels are full of helpful information. That sounds to me like you have more than one hair type on your head, which some people have naturally, but highlights are a common cause.

I would suggest clarifying and chelating to remove any product build up (silicones, waxes, butters, large proteins) and hard water build up, then have a hair analysis being sure to test different hair types. Once you know for sure what porosity and coarseness choose your ingredients and products.
Pedaheh's Hair Blog: GoosefootPrints Hair Analysis with My Analysis Results

You should only be using hydrolysed protein anyway, regular protein cannot penetrate they is too large so will just clog the surface or wash away. It may be only your highlighted hair will benefit from protein and you need to use heat to help it penetrate, the rest is too coarse and/ or low porosity.

Wetting hair thoroughly should soften it because it breaks some of the bonds, that can loosen the waves pattern and perhaps make it feel less coarse. The only reason I can think of your ends drying so slowly is product build up, they should not be lower porosity than the roots.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post

Essays and novels are full of helpful information. That sounds to me like you have more than one hair type on your head, which some people have naturally, but highlights are a common cause.
I looked at my hair more closely, and this is definitely true, at least when it comes to thickness. I said I don't have coarse hair, and for the most part I don't, but there are a couple of really thick, coarse strands mixed in.

Quote:
I would suggest clarifying and chelating to remove any product build up (silicones, waxes, butters, large proteins) and hard water build up, then have a hair analysis being sure to test different hair types. Once you know for sure what porosity and coarseness choose your ingredients and products.
Pedaheh's Hair Blog: GoosefootPrints Hair Analysis with My Analysis Results
I will try that! Which ingredients should I look out for to know that a shampoo is chelating? Should hard water shampoos in general do?

Quote:
You should only be using hydrolysed protein anyway, regular protein cannot penetrate they is too large so will just clog the surface or wash away. It may be only your highlighted hair will benefit from protein and you need to use heat to help it penetrate, the rest is too coarse and/ or low porosity.
Even my highlighted hair seems to reject it, it is not very damaged though. I've always been afraid of heat because I was thinking it could give me protein overdose, but maybe that's just what my hair needs. Could the protein sitting on top instead of absorbing be causing the roughness? I know heat helps a lot with moisture treatments.

Quote:
Wetting hair thoroughly should soften it because it breaks some of the bonds, that can loosen the waves pattern and perhaps make it feel less coarse. The only reason I can think of your ends drying so slowly is product build up, they should not be lower porosity than the roots.
Sorry I misspoke. I didn't mean to say that my ends dry super slowly, just that if I don't wash my hair for a few days my ends don't seem dry and brittle. I don't need to somehow add moisture like many on here do because my hair retains it naturally. All my hair is like this, I'm just using my ends as an example as those are the most likely to dry out.

And again, thank you SO much for all the help and information.
mrsjessepinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 156
Default

Protein does the same for my hair. if I use hydrolyzed protein, wheat, soy...if turns it to straw. If I use amino acids or a smaller protein, I will have body, but no waves at all.

I can't use aloe either...any suggestions?
pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com