CurlFormers

Has anyone tried these? I'm really interested about them. I think they'd come in handy when I really need to make sure my hair looks great i.e. date night, job interview, weddings, etc. I just wondered how hard they are to use and what the results are. Thanks!
Hey!
I have not tried these and so I can't review based on that, I however did giggle a little at the thought of trying to use these things. I honestly believe that us curlies could get better curls by doing a finger twist and swirl technique? It looks awfully complicated and I know it would not work on my hair. I'd be interested to hear reviews. I think your idea of for a night out or something special might be cool but I know I'd need help doing it hehe
I bought some off of Partzy on here, and they just came yesterday I'm hoping to give them a go tomorrow (or tonight if I get in early enough)

I'll let you know
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
I thought they looked kind of cool as well .... Mind you, I'm a sucker for almost anything new

I thought they'd be good for my daughter's hair, but couldn't imagine doing it on myself - particularly on the back of your head. I think there is a reason they encourage a "girl's night" on their site
well, I haven't done a full fledged go round with these things... but from the sections of my hair I've played around with, it's not really any more difficult than straightening the back of my own head...

you have to do some interesting yoga-ish maneuvers to get your hands back there, but if you're used to sectioning your hair I think it should be manageable once you get used to the tubes.
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
I have tried them on my hair and my daughters hair. The first time I tried them on my daughters hair, I wasn't thrilled. The hook takes a little getting used to, but after 2-3 times I LOVE them! They are also easy to sleep on, so that is a big plus.

First time on my daughters natural 4A hair, and also on her box braids: (extra long & wide, pink/orange)

Another time on my daughters natural hair, this time I used the Extra wide & long yellow/fuscia:

Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:

your daughter is ADORABLE!!!
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
your daughter is ADORABLE!!!
Originally Posted by MimsTX
Aww, thank you!

Originally Posted by NikG20
Your guy's hair came out soooo cute ! I have GOT to get these. My hair is on the medium side maybe three inches beneath my color bone. Do you think the long and extra wide would work for me?

password: baybay

*~Last Relaxer August 20~*

New Found Loves
~vo5 herbal escapes pomegranate and grapeseed extract~
I just tried them out tonight, and I have to say they're awesome. I didn't have enough to do my whole head, so I pin curled the spots that didn't have a curlformer in them. Needless to say, natural or relaxed, the pin curls have always been bad news for my fine hair. The curlformers though? Holy COW! What a difference. Beautiful and absolutely perfect. I honestly wish I had known about these before I relaxed... They are going to make my long transition so much easier and prettier!

As for the difficulty, let me just say that I am absolutely EPIC FAIL about using styling tools of all sorts. I'm surprised I can handle a flat iron and flexi clip most days. If you're bad like me, watch some youtube videos, and set aside some time. It honestly only took me like 20 minutes to put them in on 95% of my head.

Also, I learned the hard way though that it really is best to start about 2" off your scalp with the beginning of the curlformer, this being especially true if you have thinner hair. I didn't do this and while it gave me some nice volume, the strands twisted out and up in funny ways.

I'm so excited to be styling again that I am looking forward to Friday, the next time I can try these out. Totally worth a shot if you're thinking about them!
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

lol, I did it last night too. It was definitely not too difficult once you got the hang of it. The only thing I had a few issues with was making sure not to twist the hook before I pulled the hair through.... knotted things up a couple of times before I figured that bit out. Other than that, the only other tricks were making sure not to get too close to the scalp (OUCH, especially if you have sections of hair that are on the larger side... it tended to pull on the hairs further away from the center), sectioning evenly (and so that you don't run out of tubes) and making sure the curlformers spring back into proper spirals (instead of getting that weird kink in them like your old slinkies used to do... you know what I'm talking about lol)

It took me probably about 20-30 minutes, and I had my boyfriend loading the tubes up onto the hook for me (what a guy...). I slept on mine, but I will NOT be doing that again. Worst night's sleep EVER. They're not really any less comfortable than sleeping on curlers probably, but OY. Definitely going to use a dryer and do it that way next time.

My biggest mistake was this morning when I took them out. I decided to "tousle" them a little bit like I'd seen some people online do. BIG mistake. I looked like Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter >.< So I promptly panicked, and brushed it out which only made things worse (if anyone wants a good example of why NOT to brush curly hair, try this...). I was trying to decide between just rewashing it or throwing it up into a bun when I starting twining a strand around my finger (nervous habit) and TAH DAH! The curl came back, as frizz free and shiny as ever. Really really weird lol.

So now I have it back in a curly ponytail with only a trace of frizz to show the fact that I brushed my entire head of hair. These things are really cool... lol
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Holy crap Mims! LoL I wish I would have tried retwisting them! I ended up tousling and running fingers through them (I didn't have a lot of product in them to begin with so they didn't hold as well) and ended up Mad hatter-esque myself! I'll be sure to try that next time I decide to experiment with them

And yeah, slept in a few last night... Not sure how people do that and sleep? I'm a side sleeper, so that didn't work out too well for me lol
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Originally Posted by AllieSJay
Thank you! I think they would work for you. I think they also make the shorter ones like that as well. The long & extra wide don't take away too much length either, so I'm sure it would work fine.

Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:

Those of you with the sleeping issues, that's interesting. lol Maybe we're weird? haha. I mean, I slept on my BACK with them in, LOL! With no problems. I tried sleeping in other curlers before and took them out within 5 minutes of laying down.

Originally Posted by NikG20

I love the braid-n-curls. Beautiful!
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
Originally Posted by NikG20
Hmm... well, I'm utterly not used to sleeping on anything... I never use curlers so it's a whole new experience lol. Beyond that, it wasn't the actual curl formers that were bothering me, to be honest... it was the tugging they were doing on my hair. I'd lay down, and a curlformer that would normally be sticking out at an angle from my head was forced to be straight and it'd tug on the roots, causing the discomfort. So maybe I had them too close to my scalp??
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
I'm intrigued by these. Are they only available through
their website?
Which package did everyone get? The larger packages are a bit pricey, but the smaller ones seem like a decent deal.
Damn, these are the type of things I wish I could borrow from someone to see if I like it.

3a/3b

Giovanni Direct Leave In
JoicoWhip
Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you can get them at sallys... maybe just get a hook and 1 pack of whatever size you want (like, $12 I think?) and try em out to see how you like em. If you like the way those curls come out, go back and get more and if you don't I bet you can return them for store credit if nothing else.
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Thanks Mim! I didn't think they would be available in stores.
I just checked Sally's website and it said that they're not available in every store. I'll check it out this afternoon.

3a/3b

JoicoWhip
Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@afrosheenqueen, thank you!

@MimsTX, that's true, they could have been too close to the scalp...

I'm currently hosting a Curlformers Extra Long & Wide Styling Kit Giveaway on my blog if anyone is interested: