Old 10-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #1

Join Date: Feb 2005
Default Mane 'N Tail?????

Anybody ever tried this?

Is it CG?

Frizz Happens!

my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #2

Join Date: Feb 2005

found the ingredients online.

Ingredients
Water , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate , Distearyldimonium Chloride , Stearyl Alcohol , Emulsifying Wax NF , Cetyl Alcohol , Coconut Oil , Glycerin , Sodium Chloride , Vegetable Oil , Fragrance , Hydrolyzed Protein , Lanolin , Phenoxyethanol , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , FD&C Yellow No. 5

What do y'all think?

Old 10-25-2006, 08:31 PM   #3

Join Date: Apr 2006

I was actually going to review this soon. I have been using it for a week or so now. It is CG. I have found it to be moisturizing but it doesn't have as much slip as I would like(though enough to detangle well). The smell is OK, kinda perfumey(though not too much). It is a good value for the price and I will definitely keep using it.
internetchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #4

Eilonwy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006

I'm betting that the emulsifying wax isn't water-soluble. I know someone who uses this--a fellow curly. She has, hands down, the most damaged hair I've ever seen. And she doesn't dye, bleach, or flat-iron.
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #5

Join Date: Jan 2006

I used this decades ago . it was way to heavy for my hair and didnt seem clean enough.. i do have the deep mousterizing mane n tail condish that i have used , i like that one better, its much thinner and the smell is better. makes my curls shiny when i use it and soft.. i only use it for the ends of my hair halfway down not for a CO wash. i leave it in for about 5-10 mins and rinse it out. great slip too!
Modified CG-Use Low Poo
Use Suaves & VO5 Condish For CG-Honey+ Condish=My curls are loving it!
*Suave gels ( love crunchy gels )*My HGs-Re:coil, Jessicurls , Boots , Loreal Spiral Curl Mousse, Tigi Amp*

*~Show Your True Beauty Cuz Curls Rock!~*
tinicurlyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #6

Kgrl17's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006

I used to use this all the time when my hair was really thick. It seems to work well and my hair always looked very healthy. I stoppe using it only because I ran out but it used to work great. It would work on all hair types but is probably best for thick or coarse hair because that is what it was made for in the first place.
Kgrl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #7

SmallFry's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006

I tried this a while back and was not impressed at all! I had high hopes for it but... Well I use the conditioner for my dog! Seems to work for him.

There was not enough moisture and did not give enough slip. My hair even felt kind of coated afterwards. Left me with frizzy dry hair. I will not purchase this again.
Lotsa 3c curls
Curly Journey Album
Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
SmallFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #8

SuZen's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003

I seem to remember someone here saying that Emulsifying Wax isn't really a wax and is okay for CG.
SuZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #9

Bluwhisp's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I'd never thought to use that on my own hair - used to buy it for my pony a long time ago, though. It was originaly formulated for horse hair, which is much coarser than human hair, and seemed to work fine on him. I always left in a bunch on his tail to prevent breakage from braiding.
3a, fine hair, and lots of it!

Aura Rosemary Mint Conditioning Rinse
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #10

Join Date: Dec 2003

Originally Posted by SuZen
You're correct.

Jessicurl & others have written about this.

If whomever's interested in the conditioner, but scared to try it due to the "Emulsifying Wax" ingredient, they can do a search for "Wax NF". I'm sure they'll find enough information about it.
lazy loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #11

Join Date: Jan 2006

I use to use mane n tailpoo/condish on my horses as well.. but i did dilute the condish before i used it on the tail . one of my horses was pure black so her tail and fur always came out shiny like glass afterwards and thick..mabye i should have diluted the condish to see if it worked better on my hair but i never did , the deep mousterizing mane n tail is just the right thin consisty for my hair.
Modified CG-Use Low Poo
Use Suaves & VO5 Condish For CG-Honey+ Condish=My curls are loving it!

*~Show Your True Beauty Cuz Curls Rock!~*
tinicurlyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #12

Join Date: Feb 2005

Thanks for the input everyone.

My daughter was asking me about this stuff, so I read her the replies over the phone.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #13

Join Date: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Kgrl17
I used to use this too before I found this site and started wearing my hair natural. I actually really liked this conditioner back then, it always made my hair feel soft and I don't remember it ever weighing my hair down. I sort of just forgot about it when I started experimenting with all the "curly brand" hair products!
curlessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #14

BeachBlondeWavie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2005
Send a message via AIM to BeachBlondeWavie

i was actually gonna post to see if anyone used this stuff before i wanted to try it...where can i buy it?
Diane
2C blonde long hair

•ojon + curls
•goal: to grow my hair to my waist!

•hair timeline:
BeachBlondeWavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #15

solange's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006

I used to use this about 10 years ago. It really coated my hair and made it look dull. Even though I would shampoo with a sulfate shamppo, it felt as though it was buiding up.
3C, BSL Unstretched -
solange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #16

Join Date: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by BeachBlondeWavie
I know the Sally's around here carry it, as wells as Longs Drugs, and maybe Walgreens?
curlessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #17

ZARIA**'s Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2002

Hated it..Its the only conditioner I ever threw in the garbage.
Hispanic/Black 3A-B
Mixed hair: Curls, waves and spirals.
ZARIA** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #18

Ladydncing's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2004

Funny, I used it for about a week straight last month and was pretty happy with the results. I got great hair days and even lovelier 2nd hair days. However, not enough slip and don't care for the scent. Other than that, not bad for the price.
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #19

Kgrl17's Avatar

Originally Posted by CurlyBlasian

The shampoo and conditioners that I use are so gentle that I use them on my dogs too when they don't work for me! Actually I shampooed with a bannana dog shampoo on my yorkie last week and used the tiniest drop of CJ banana leave in on her fur after to stay consistent
Kgrl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #20

Join Date: Apr 2006

hmmmmmm funny ..this conditioner is one of my HG's....even if i try other conditioners i still always have this conditioner in the shower on hand. It leaves my hair shiney, soft and strong. It does lack in the slip department but i don't care because it works. I've had coditioners in the past with great slip but didn't do squat for the overall condition/ appearance of my hair. I always get compliments for how shiney and healthy my hair looks and hands down it's the Mane-n-tale my secret weapon..and i usually don't tell people i use it lol .....
3C/b
Cream of Nature Shampoo...[Mane-N-Tale Co] and Suave Coconut....Nexxus Humectress leave-in....Tigi Bedhead smoothing fluid & Dove hair gel....Chaz Dean studios Fig Oil....
Garneir Fructise 3minute mask....

beijos e abracos