Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #281

Originally Posted by Naturalista View Post
Don't go by humidity. The dewpoint today was 64!! That's means horrendous for curls and time to breakout the antihumectants.

Oh LORDY - I still have so much to learn. I just got immediate anxiety because I still have no idea what dewpoints really are, and what a humectant is and if any of my products have it. UGH.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #282

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post
I love this thread because it's been hijacked (by us) like, 18 million times. I just enjoy that it's basically me, Mir, wowohwow and Naturalista having a chat about hair and life. HA!!
Heck yes. Love that we have our own little club haha!

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post

Girl, don't freak out - I gotchu! Ask away, anything and everything. I combed the threads last night and took a lot of notes
3a/C/iii; mod-CG since 07/14/08
Shampoo: Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit shampoo (same results as Deva Low Poo but a tenth of the price!)

Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #283

Check out the Gen Disc. Rm. The dewpoint threads have been revived!
I especially love the thread you started!!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #284

Check out the Gen Disc. Rm. The dewpoint threads have been revived!
I especially love the thread you started!!
Thanks! I'm posting tomorrow too. Going to try the Shescentit Coco LI/SS FHG/HEBE combo. Folks have been using FHG as a curl creme vs its appointed use which is a styling gel. I dont have BRHG, but I'm gonna try HEBE and see what happens.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #285

Join Date: Jul 2008

I'm trying a new combo tomorrow too! I'm trying that same routine from Saturday (same dewpoint tomorrow) but with CK under the Joiwhip instead of an LI...we'll see what it does!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #286

Join Date: Jul 2008
Default tarc, this is for you

So first of all, here is humectants vs emollients:

HUMECTANTS VS EMOLLIENTS
  • emollients = soften, smooth, give hair shine
    • vegetable oils and nut butters
  • humectants = absorb water and hold in moisture
    • panthenol, vegetable glycerin
macadamia, jojoba = great natural moisture seaweed, shea, Acanthe Extract = great natural emollients

There are three basic kinds of dew points: low, medium, and high.

For low dew points, here are my notes...
  • no humectants
  • more emollients/moisture
  • less glycerin/propylene glycol (both are humectants)
  • richer consistency conditioners/leave-in/cowash
  • less low pooing
For high dew points, here are my notes...
  • lots! of humectants
  • more glycerin/propylene glycol
  • thinner consistency conditioners/leave in/cowash/
Then I made a chart (like the type-A personality that I am ) outlining my main products and what they have...and what dew points I can use them in...(H is humectant, E is emollient, and P is protein)

GVP CB
(H) - propylene glycol (H), cetearyl alcohol (E), myristyl alcohol (E), cetrimonium choloride(A), decyl oleate (E)

AG
(H) - Hydrolyzed Silk Protein (P), Propylene Glycol (H)

GVP PM
(H) - Panthenol (H), Glycerin (H), Propylene Glycol (H)

HETT
(H) - Propylene Glycol (H)

No Frizz
(H) - Glycerin (H), Myristyl Alcohol (E), PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate (E), Caprylyl Glycol (H)

Tres Nat (E) - stearyl alcohol (E), cetyl alcohol (E)

Joiwhip (E) - Polyquat 11, hydro hair kerating (P)

Giovanni (E) - Soybean Protein (P)

**************************************************

Here is more technical information regarding dew points that
I got from this link ...

Dew point <15F = very dry
  • TON of moisture/emollients
  • expect looser curl pattern
  • good time to straighten
  • little/no humectant use
15 - 30F = dry
  • add moisture and emollients
  • limit or cut out humectants
30 - 40F = WEIRD AREA
  • have to figure out a combo of humectants and moisture/emollients that works best for you
40 - 60F = moist
  • prime curly range
  • easily attained moisture/humectant balance
60F+ = very moist
  • lots of humectants!
I think that's it lol ... HTH!!
Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

Last edited by wowohwow; 05-02-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #287

Default oh oh!

Since weather sites don't usually predict dew points, here's a handy dandy dew point forecaster!

just plug in the prospective temp/humidity and get the future dew point

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #288

empressri's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post
Never used Urban Decay or Makeup Forever - I use L'Oreal haha. Only expensive makeup I use is their eyeshadow (only on special occasions), and Benefit's Dallas bronzing blush. I was on a hugeeeee Bare Essentuals kick, but I don't use it anymore. Like, ever. What a waste!!

Don't forget Ri!! She pops in with nuggets. I'm still waiting for her to tell me how to use this ISOBouncy! I bought it the other day! LOLOL!!! PJJJJJJJism rulessss!

Speaking of Ri.. I was in the 4a room (they tend to have my texture issues) and she mentioned a frizz busting condish by Nature's Gate that I bought. The Hemp one. I was going to try it with the JoiWhip instead but I wanted to follow your regimen to the letter Wowsers.. but clearly I didnt anyway..LOL!!
Originally Posted by Naturalista View Post

Oh crap - you're right!!! Sorry, EmpressRi!!! Absolutely has great info. So sorry.

They used some ISO stuff on me (shampoo maybe?) when I got my haircut Saturday and it had sulfates in it I checked it out when I was in Ulta this morning. Everything they used had crapola in it!! FRUSTRATING.
awww i love yall!!!!

shoot i STAY getting samples at sephora!! they gave me a hefty sized portion of this ren face scrub, cause i have their....what the heck...

this is the bomb!!!!

i dont know how my hair held up in this humidity but im on *drumroll* day 4 hair!!

now if my hair was overly moisturized...it would be a big puffball right now.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
empressri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #289

empressri's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007

@ naturalista:

regarding the iso bouncy...im finding that if i add in too many conditioning things,that equals frizz for me. so im going to just use it under a gel or even maybe the joiwhip and see how that fares.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
empressri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #290

Originally Posted by empressri View Post

awww i love yall!!!!

this is the bomb!!!!

now if my hair was overly moisturized...it would be a big puffball right now.
WOW!! Great hair Ri!!! What did you use??

RE: ISOBouncy. Ok.. actually trying it with the JoiWhip sounds ideal. Hmm.. Tuesday maybe. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #291

Join Date: Feb 2010
Default In regards to wow's system...

It's in the 60's weather wise here today, rainy and gross. Humidity is 90% and dew point is 59. So that means (let's just see if I have this right...) I should avoid emolients and load up on the humectants? So trying out the Joiwhip for the first time today was probably not a good idea haha

Still wet (from 7am), and waiting to see how we'll dry...cowashed, little conditioner rinse out, KCKT & Joiwhip. We shall see!!

Oh - Joiwhip users - mine kind of trickles out of the can very liquidy. Is this normal, or do I have a defective can???
LI: KCKT & DevaCurl B'Leave In
Style: DevaCurl AnGEL, HEBE, HESMU, Joico Joiwhip, DevaCurl Set it Free, TRESemme Naturals Finishing Spray
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #292

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post

The JoiWhip should come out like regular creamy mousse. Sounds like you didnt shake well or the can is bum.

I wouldnt say avoid, just little to no conditioner and more humectants. The dew in NYC is 68 today which means I'm screwed. LOL! I'm gonna do my experiment anyway though.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #293

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post
Correct! For whatever reason, Joiwhip works well in humid weather. I guess it's because it has a lot of hold =)

Originally Posted by tarc817 View Post
Yep, that's normal. Did you shake the can a bunch before dispensing it? It'll turn into a foam after it "grows"

Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #294

Curly_Cajun_Femme's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010

Temperature actually dictates dew point and relative humidity which varies from state to state, city to city, parrish to parrish, burrough to burrough.

The colder the air the less water vapor it can hold.
The warmer the air, the more water vapor it can hold.

Dewpoint is the temperature which is needed for condensation or dew (at that particular temperature). Take a can of cold soda and it develops condensation on the surface, the air on the can has condensed to its dewpoint and created dew.
Dewpoint actually measures how much water vapor is in the air.

Relative humidity measures how much water vapor the air actually holds at a certain temperature. The relative humidity represents how close the air is to saturation.
The higher the temperature, the more water vapor the air can hold...

Temperatures + choice of products is more of a factor than dew point which actually leads back to temperature and where you live which dictates both....That is unless you have ice cold curls or Super Hot Kinks and Coils..

Gas Laws and Physics play havoc on our kinks, coils and curls everyday, everywhere we go...
3b /3c
HG Summer List
Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
Donna Marie MiraCurls
Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
Conditioners:AOHR
Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
Curly_Cajun_Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #295

Default oops.

Originally Posted by wowohwow View Post
So I tried CK under the Joiwhip - I made a mistake and didn't apply the CK to SOAKING wet hair. I scrunched a little water out, and I can definitely see that the wetter pieces are shinier and clumped better

There's always tomorrow!

Oh, oh! I heard CK smells funny, and I didn't want to pay for shipping, so I got Jane Carter Condition and Sculpt instead, bc I heard it was just a watery version of CK? SMELLS SO GOOOOOOOOOD!!! And my hair is soooo soft

Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #296

Originally Posted by Curly_Cajun_Femme View Post

The colder the air the less water vapor it can hold.
The warmer the air, the more water vapor it can hold.

Dewpoint actually measures how much water vapor is in the air.

The higher the temperature, the more water vapor the air can hold...

Excuse me miss.. WHERE have you been! Good to see u!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #297

Originally Posted by wowohwow View Post

Didn't hold me worth a darn but I think I used too much Tresemme for LI. I may need to use Joi whip on naked hair OR... over KY or AVG.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #298

Join Date: Feb 2010

The dewpoint today is 69 so I didnt even attempt to do anything other than a ponypuff for the doctor today. Migraines SUCK!!

Sooo draining...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #299

Join Date: Feb 2010

I've gotta say - using Joiwhip & KCKT this morning really did wonders. Might be the cut I just got, the dew/humidty/rainy weather (my hair has always thrived on days where it's rainy and gross), but I've got some nice curls today! I'll take pics when I get home. I'll definitely be keeping the Joiwhip!!

Oh - and Naturalista, I should be getting my AOHR and the AO....jelly you told me to get. Excited to try those too - any suggestions on how to use them?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #300

Join Date: Feb 2010

So I'm very pleased with how my hair came out today!! Check out my fotki (last 5 pics, turquoise shirt - can't figure out how to make separate albums!)