If you get frizz after your hair has air dried, what CG product would you use?

Cool!! Let us know how those fare!
3a/C/iii; mod-CG since 07/14/08
Shampoo: Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit shampoo (same results as Deva Low Poo but a tenth of the price!)

CJ CALI

to see if they are Humectants or Emollients to see what to try tomorrow as it will be relatively high dews.

Does anyone know the "category" (H or E) for UFD Curl Magic, or Botanical Spirits Curl Puree?
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Originally Posted by Chelley Mae
So by the wayyy, I created a new category last night: Balanced! This category is for those products that have panthenol, propylene glycol, or glycerin (which would make them a humectant), but have the humectant listed towards the end and have lots of moisturizers/emollients in the beginning, allowing them to work in both high and low dews. Both of the products you asked the category for, I'd put in the "B" category =)

Ok ladies - you asked, I scanned

I put my "hair history" photos that I brought with me to the stylist on my fotki. Check it out and be amazed!!

Password: tarc817

Enjoy! - - I added captions to each about the year, and season.
LI: KCKT & DevaCurl B'Leave In
Style: DevaCurl AnGEL, HEBE, HESMU, Joico Joiwhip, DevaCurl Set it Free, TRESemme Naturals Finishing Spray
CG since: 3/20/10
Holy crapppp. This picture has got to be the most insane of all...

I can't believe it! :O
Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

Holy crapppp. This picture has got to be the most insane of all...

I can't believe it! :O
Originally Posted by wowohwow
I know!! This makes me close to tears. I don't understand. And you can tell how friggin hot it was in the picture on the left - My skin is never ever shiny. EVER.
CG since: 3/20/10
Hmm. What products were you using in the pic to the right?

And what did your stylist say when he/she saw these pics! :O

Originally Posted by wowohwow
After some investigation I feel that most of my base stylers are in the "B" category, kinda in the middle. But I did find out why my smoothing gellie and aloe fix gel didn't work well on dry days, very humectant-y! Glad I read this thread!
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Excellent!! Glad something helped you out
Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

Last edited by wowohwow; 05-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Excellent!! Glad something helped you out
Originally Posted by wowohwow
What people don't realize, and I just learned is that the reason why humectants are bad in dry/colder months is because their job is suck moisture from the MOST MOIST SOURCE. In the case that there is none/not much from the elements, it sucks it from your hair leading to dryness and frizz. This is why adding moisture and avoiding humectants is key in those cases. Now that the moisture in the air is greater than that of your hair, humectants are a godsend.

Facebook|Twitter
Soo I did my hair like CalamityM (CK + re:coil), and dannng! I look like I belong in an Indian version of Gone with the Wind! haha

I'll post pics as soon as my battery charges

I'll post pics as soon as my battery charges
Originally Posted by wowohwow
WOO!!! So The JCCS worked! Huzzah!

Gooooooooooooo Scarlett O'Hara!!!

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 05-04-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Ok ladies - you asked, I scanned

Password: tarc817

Enjoy! - - I added captions to each about the year, and season.
Originally Posted by tarc817
Yeah.. looks like 2008-2009 you went into a transition, but I have confidence that going CG will bring you back.

Facebook|Twitter
heck yeah it did! made my hair sofffft and shinyyyy and it smells really good!! I mean really. what more could I ask for!

Fab!

Originally Posted by wowohwow

Wow - gorgeous!!!! Sooo super jealous. I wish I had a routine. And I wish I understood what the heck you're talking about with this dew point stuff. FRUSTRATING.......
CG since: 3/20/10
I'm going to PM you an entry from a FB page I'm an admin of called "Back to Natural" where I addressed this topic.

Fab!
Originally Posted by Naturalista
Wow - gorgeous!!!! Sooo super jealous. I wish I had a routine.
Originally Posted by tarc817
Thanks so much!! And thank you to everyone that helped me get here haha, I feel like it's an awards show

Originally Posted by tarc817
Alright, what don't you understand? The concept? what to do? what it means in terms of hair/hair products?

Originally Posted by wowohwow
I think what's freaking me out is that I'm a very visual person, and without someone pointing to my products saying "use this for winter and use this for summer" I'm just lost. And that article is good, Naturalista, but I'm still not putting 2+2 together. I wish these ingredients didn't have 17 different names for one thing so it would be easier for me to decipher which have humectants and which have emolients
Originally Posted by tarc817
Well it's not like I was born knowing this stuff Here's the basics. Look up an ingredient. Use this website: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ When you look up an ingredient, it'll say what type it is at the top. Like for example, I looked up propylene glycol... http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ing...PYLENE_GLYCOL/ at the very top it says that it's a humectant. I look up everything that's not natural, and I ignore water, fragrances, emulsifiers (thickening agents), and preservatives.

Second, humectants vs emollients. Humectants are like sponges - they pull water into them. Therefore, if there is a humectant on your hair...

* | | ** Let's say that's a hair, ok? and the * are
* | | ** water molecules. Since there are more
* | | ** molecules outside than inside, the hair
* | | ** will absorb the water from the outside toward it.
* | | ** That's a HUMECTANT. Those are its properties. Does that make sense?

So think about it. It's dry in winter and moist in summer, right? So in summer, your hair will pull moisture from the air and it's ok. However, in the winter, there isn't any water to pull from in the air, so the humectant pulls it from your hair - BAD!

I'm not sure why for this next part, but emollients provide moisture for your hair. If you look up an ingredient in that database, you'll find that some of them are labeled "emollients." They provide moisture so that your hair doesn't get dried out. While you still want these in the summer, you want humectants too.

HTH!