If you get frizz after your hair has air dried, what CG product would you use?

I still cannot find the right product for my frizz problem. I just ordered Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control from Amazon (4 bucks cheaper!) and am anxiously awaiting that.

My issue is this - before going CG, and before this website, after my hair had air dried, I was using John Freida Secret Weapon and Brilliant Brunette creams. I would smooth some on the frizz and poof! Frizz be gone. Secret Weapon is still around (and has cones in it) and the BB was discontinued. I cannot for the life of me find a CG replacement and it's driving me mad! Here is what I want in this cream:

- Thick creamy consistency
- Primarily used as a frizz fighter, as I will not be using it on wet hair

I have tried to combat frizz by using DTs and LIs, but no matter what I do in the shower or out, I still sometimes have frizz. Mostly all the time. So I still need a product designed to fight this frizz. I have used the following:

- CCCC Lite (does nothing for the frizz)
- Jojoba Oil, coconut oil (makes my hair look super oily and piece-y)
- CCCC (feels very producty on dried hair)
- Deva Curl Mirror Curls (ehhh it's ok, but does not do what I want it to do, and always feels producty, especially when I wash my hair the next day)

I'm going to try Innersense QCCC, and I'm thinking about MOP-C Curl Cream. I'm really *not* looking for a gel consistency or a liquidy conditioner consistency...I'm looking for something like a Bath & Body Works Body Cream - like if you put some in your hand, and turned your hand upside down, that stuff isn't going anywhere.

Can anyone help me???
LI: KCKT & DevaCurl B'Leave In
Style: DevaCurl AnGEL, HEBE, HESMU, Joico Joiwhip, DevaCurl Set it Free, TRESemme Naturals Finishing Spray
CG since: 3/20/10
You've only been CG for just under a month. I found that my frizz issues improved finally about 3 months in. And I'd been warned my hair could look worse for a while in the beginning, so I persevered.

You may need to just accept you'll have frizz for a bit and keep doing your DT's and finding a routine you like until your hair adjusts to CG.

I look at curly celebrities and in most of the pics, the ones with natural curls have frizz (even Lorraine Massey and Annalynne McCord). Only the ones who have had their hair blown, then curl-ironed, then silicone smoothed have no frizz. Natural curls tend to frizz and learning to accept a certain amount of frizz is inevitable.

However, how much frizz is relative. What I consider some or a lot, others might consider minimal. Dunno.

Care to post a pic of the frizz for an example?

Now with moistening weather, I expect more frizz. This is when folks start bringing out he harder hitting frizz-fighting routines and those hard gels with those PVP whatever I never remember. I think some swear by KCCC for the summertime and humid weather, and I may retry it.

I have frizz today. It's rainy, I used a new gel that looked great day one but didn't hold through to day two and I had rompy-whompy with hubby, and all that hair grabbing is bound to mess things up.

So, expect a bunch of frizz in transition. Especially if you don't like the oiled/weighed down look. In my experience, people who boast of little to no frizz are either 1. have been CG for a good while and their hair is half-to-most or all fresh, undamaged growth, not old blown-dried/ironed/relaxed hair and 2. folks who use lots of moisturizing and styling products and have producty hair.

When my hair is super-moist and gelled, I have no frizz. But then I have less volume and producty looking hair.

I found no compromise ground. Not for me. I only have 2 inches of virgin hair (ie, no color, not blown dry, etc). The rest is damaged, so I expect frizz, really, unless I totally coat those strands to within an inch of their conditioned life. And that means weighed-down, producty, "wet to oily" looking hair.

I'd rather have it look a bit dry and frizzy, with volume, than oiled-down and wet, close-to-the-head looking.

I have not found a way to have both volume and unproducty looking with no frizz sans silicones. I have found I have LESS frizz with some things and some days and some combos, especially first day--but by second and third, the curls start disrupting and, boom, there's the bits angling out of their curl cocoons seeking the air and light. heh

But, honestly, if you loved how JF Secret Weapon left your hair, see if any CG finishing serum or curl creme type products have similar ingredients, ie with the avocado oil high and the PVP and the wheat proteins and parabens, etc:

Water (Aqua), Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, C12-C15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isostearyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Stearate, PVP, Octyl Methoxycinnamate (Sunscreen), Triethanolamine, Sorbitan Oleate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Steardimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, FD&C Red #40 (Cl 16035), D&C Yellow #10 (Cl 47005).

Or, after you let your hair get used to CG in 3 to 4 months, if it's still frizzalific, then just cave, use Secret Weapon, and switch to a lowpoo that gets out the trimethicone and waxes, etc.

The idea is to get to a place where you're happy with your natural curls. If giving CG without a cones a shot doesn't work for you, modify it. That's my motto.

I can tell you right now, if come summer nothing in the CG aresenal makes my hair tolerable, I'll go use whatever I have to and then resume CG come late fall (I started Nov 09).

But do give your hair some time. A month is not enough, imo, to give hair restorative time from harsh treatment.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 04-18-2010 at 09:24 PM.
It's so frustrating. I refuse to accept this frizzy nonsense, because I have always had frizz, just not like this. And I was always able to get rid of a bit of it with these cone products. DTs don't thrill me. I tried a bunch of CJ products I ordered from KathyMack, and I'm not loving any of them. Sadly.

I will take a picture of the frizz next time! I tried putting some pomade in it and it's been up in a pony all day, so it is less than curly right now I'm not opposed to an unflattering picture if it'll help me in the long run! Thanks for the good advice, as always, Mir
CG since: 3/20/10
Whoops. I added stuff to my post while you were posting, so you may wanna recheck. About modifying.

Welkie.

I used to tame my frizz with cone serums, too--Biosilk, Chi Silk, etc. Yeah, they work. That's why they're crazy popular. But you tried CG for a reason, right? Transitions suck butt.

But it's not Holy Scripture. You can always go back to cones if it makes you nuts. That's my other motto.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

I found using a few drops of almond oil emulsified with my LI helps a lot. Not greasy at all. I think it's the lightest of the oils.

I don't know of any products that are creamy like you want, buuuuut....I LOVE LOOB (L'oreal Out Of Bed)! It's kinda like snot...actually it's exactly like snot! It just takes a tiny bit smoothed over the canopy - Frizz Be Gone! If it's humid or maybe I use the wrong product according to the dews and I have frizz, I can use it everyday and not have any build up. I alternate co-wash and low-poo every 2-3 days. I put some LOOB in a tiny container and carry it with me everywhere I go!

HTH!!!! I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has other suggestions!
Noni863 likes this.
2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
MirCurls, you are my HG. <3

I completely agree with the producty looking CGers. I don't like that look, and I think it looks dirty.

So what is this low poo thing? You can use cones but a low poo will get them out? Are sulfates or silicones more damaging/drying? I think maybe I don't understand fully!! I never understood what "modified CG" meant, anyway. Still so much to learn!
MirCurls, you are my HG. <3

Originally Posted by tarc817
To be fully CG means you cowash and avoid anything that a cowash doesn't wash out, hence, avoiding cones.

To be modified CG means deviating somewhat, such as using lowpoos rather than sulfate poos, or alternating nopoos with lowpoos, etc.

Cones requires harsher cleaning agents, and the one in your HG product has the following as recommended cleansers:
Phenyl Trimethicone---- SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS,

If you can find a gentler type poo with one of those cleansers to get out your trimethicone, then you shouldn't have build-up, but you also won't be pure CG, cause you're not cowashing (which is gentler to hair)

I am not pure CG, as I alternate lowpoos and occasionally clarify with a SLES before a protein tx.

Originally Posted by MirCurls
This is what I'm doing now. Something is not working - or I'm just not giving it enough time yet.

Originally Posted by MirCurls
I just checked out DevaCurl's Low-Poo - there's no sulfates in there, but a water soluble cone...I'm confused as to why it's not a No Poo? Because it ahs a cone in general?

Originally Posted by MirCurls
Ok - this whole part confuses me to no end...so my HG product should have those things in them? I'm sorry with all the questions! You can answer them tomorrow

Originally Posted by MirCurls
The Burts Bees shampoo I use has no sulfates whatsoever in it...I alternate between that (when I feel like I need to shampoo or just need to clean my hair) and cowashing with the V05.

Information overload again! Eek! Thanks for being so patient.
Originally Posted by tarc817
I do not think you've given it enough time. Not even a month. ; )

Originally Posted by tarc817
If it's lowpoo it's lowpoo. It's not a NoPoo. DOn't confuse the two. Different products. LowPoos have stronger surfactants/cleansers than NoPoos, which is another way of saying "cowash" essentially.

Originally Posted by tarc817
I am the one who was unclear. When I say your HG product, I mean that JF SECRET WEAPON smoother you like to use for frizz. You describe it as an HG product--it does something great for your hair. When I say it requires X cleansers (and list them above), I mean that THAT PRODUCT has THAT cone in it (the trimethicone) and so requires THOSE cleansers to get it off hair.

Clearer? I don't mean HG as in product you are looking for. I'm referring to a product you already claim to love, though it's not CG.

Originally Posted by tarc817
The VO5 is a cowash and will not remove cones. I have no idea what the Burts Bees has, but if it doesn't have those cleansers I listed above, it will not remove the trimethicone in SECRET WEAPON.

I'm not saying you should use the SW or use cones. I'm saying IF YOU CHOOSE TO, then you need to use a different cleanser than a cowash and it must contain appropriate cleansers to avoid build-up.

I do still recommend you exercise patience and give CG a solid shot, which one month is not.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

HTH!!!! I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has other suggestions!
Originally Posted by kasden
I didn't even see this post! Sorry about that. I will have to see if my supermarket has this so I can look at it and smell it haha Those things are important! I don't know why I'm so hung up on consistency, but I guess I'm just trying to find something similar to what used to work for me. Thanks!
CG since: 3/20/10
Mir - yes, much clearer, thank you! I think I'm going to just stick to the CG and keep trying products and see where that takes me. I don't want to go back to using cones and sulfates. My hair was severely lacking something and now it's starting to resemble curly hair again I'll just keep at it! Thanks!!
Originally Posted by tarc817
That "something" is the moisture your hair was lacking from the sulfate use plus the cones doing the " moisture/control" fakeout. Now that you're not using these things you're starting to see how deprived your hair really was--hence the frizz.

Once your hair/scalp comes into balance from the CG regimen you will see improvements. +1 on Mir's comment about ~3 mths. My frizz didn't really calm down till a solid 3 mths being CG.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Originally Posted by Naturalista
There ya go and why you need to persist in those deep treatments. My first couple months of deep treatment I thought the same thing--"Am I really getting moisturized?" I had such, such, such thirsty hair. It does start to get to a tipping point where you realize your hair IS better moisturized, and that's when frizz begins to calm down.

But I can't say at 5 months it's gone bye-bye completely. It's just calmer. And, realistically, I don't expect it to be gone. Even with cones, on high dewpoint days I would fuzz up a bit. No system is perfect for hair that is porous, like mine, or hair that has curl and is prone to react strongly to weather and disruption.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Ok - so more moisture. I've tried CJ Curl Rehab, and was less than thrilled. I also tried the CJ H&BHB LI, and it was just so so. Maybe I'm not giving them enough of a chance, but were there any products for you two ladies that worked wonders as far as getting the hair re-moisturized?

Also, Naturalista - what do you do with Coconut oil? I bought a jar of it and have just been doing little things with it. Makes my hair SOOO greasy! Any special concoctions you have for it? Thanks!!

Originally Posted by tarc817
For me when it comes to CJ the Banana/Hibiscus Deep Fix slaps that moisture into my hair and Curl rehab works better as a RO then an actual treatment for me.
The Butta LI works well for me if I'm generously applying it.

Other conditioners? Well I've tried quite a few and nothing bathes my hair in moisture like DevaCURL OneCondition or coconut milk. Whole foods 365 line has the best most concentrated milk I've used thus far and I love it!

Coconut oil is such a GREAT oil because it's linked to helping the scalp/hair get back into balance. It's conditioning, a great sealant, and a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, how I use it is mostly as a DT/ hot oil treatment (slather it on, place a cap on top and heat. It melts and bathes the hair quickly.). I've even used it as a prepoo mixed with coconut milk. I know you're likely not into protective styling and the like, but I use it to seal my ends when I'm doing twists or braids. I have yet to integrate it into my wash n go's, but when I figure out how I will let you know.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 04-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.
There is a whole post on frizz (called, I think, "Oh the frizz"...you should read that

My daughter's frizz is way less now that we are almost a year in...got better about 3-4 months in (like most others) once her hair was actually in better condition.

However we use leave in..a LOT OF LEAVE in...to cut the frizz

I work with someone who is CG and she always has some frizz in between her curls..just seems to be how her hair is..still looks great though.

Anyway we use lots of leave in, we don't use gel, and if we've given her hair enough moisture we don't get frizz when we air dry.

When we do we use Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream or Shescentit Gillian butter to cut down on it. We've also used Curl Junkie Curls in a bottle and the new Bellacurl Shine product...all work great

I, personally, would not limit yourself to only "cream" type products..part of the CG journey is to develop a workable routine and you don't really know what will work..don't discount something out of hand until you've tried it.

I wouldn't compare non CG with CG...for my daughter's hair that we used to load with silicones (and she still got frizz)..we do things way differently now with very different products....more conditioner, more leave in, way less serum type stuff.

My blog has tons of info in general on what we use with pics of my daughter. Her frizz was really really bad originally.
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by tarc817

Next: how often do you do it?

Next: Have you noticed any of them working better than another, if so, what ingredient is different in there?

Next: How dry is your hair without product? How dry is your hair, say, 10 to 12 hours after washing/conditioning? The ends...are they sorta crunchy dry?

Next: When does the frizz start appearing?

Next: What holding gels have you tried after a leave-in conditioner and how much product (size of blob)?

Finally: When you use rinse out, do you let your hair be so moisturized that your wet hair feels like WET SEAWEED, very slippery like wet seaweed, or do you just rinse all that conditioner out?

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Alex - I've been experimenting with a bunch of products....well on my way to becoming a PJ!

[quote=MirCurls;1323746]
First, I need to ask: How do you do a deep treatment. Exactly how, step by step.[QUOTE]

Well, I haven't done many - I only used the CJ one once - I put it in while showering, threw on a shower cap, and went on with the rest of my routine (probably left it on for 10, 15 minutes), then rinsed.

I've only tried one - I think that leave in's would be helpful for me...I used only gel today (and hairspray), and my hair was gross! No frizz, but not really curly. I think a LI would help greatly with that issue, when using gel alone. What do you think?

My hair looks like a frizzy mess without any product. I cannot wear my hair without product. It's half curly, half wavy, half straight - it's just crazy. If I don't put in products, my hair will stay how it is after it's dried all day - it'll calm a bit more if I touch it, put it up, etc. The ends are not crunchy dry if there are no products. However, if I DO have products in, my hair sometimes goes flat throughout the day (especially if I don't put in a frizz fighting product while dried!), and depending on gel or whatever else I use as a product, the ends are usually crunchy.

Next: When does the frizz start appearing?
Frizz can start as early as after I've applied my products! Sometimes I can tell as early as that. But sometimes doesn't flare up til the hair has dried.

AnGel works very well in my hair, no matter what. I have tried LA Looks Wet Look gel and my hair HATED it - too many proteins. That's when I found out my hair hates proteins. I have the HE Set Me Up gel that I used today and like I said, it was bad. I also have another HE gel...the orange one. It's so so. But, I'm pretty sure I need a LI under it. Only LI I have is KCKT, and I love it. Looking for another LI! Since my hair loves the DevaCurl line, I might get their LI.

If I use a LI, it's slippery wet seaweed. If I just use the Burts Bees condish I have, it's not very seaweedy. If I use the Deva ONE, it's amazing. I don't want to use it every day though, because 1, I don't like using the same products every day because I DO wash my hair almost every day, and 2, it's so expensive!! But usually if I do not use KCKT, I will leave in most of the conditioner I have used.

So what does this all mean?!

Oh - and I went to Sallys today (didn't even know there was one remotely near me) and picked up Biotera's Curl Cream (through the advice of someone here), and it's great - seems to be just what I'm looking for! In fact, it smells and FEELS just like an Avon curl cream I used to use that is loaded up with cones. Happy day!

Current search: Leave in.
CG since: 3/20/10
Hang on. You need to get consistent with the deep treatments. Many ladies here will testify that reaching moisturization status helps frizz.

I suggest you do it the hard way: 30 mins with a processing cap and heat. It's a pain, but it's only ONCE a week, minimum. (Or, if you want to accelerate the process, every time you wash.)

On days I deep treat, I do my shower routine, including the wash (low or nopoo)--I soap up, shave, pumice feet, etc. Then I get out put the deep condish on my hair thoroughly and put on a processing cap (really cheap, I buy 30 at a time), and then do my body lotion, face cream. I then go to the living room, get my soft bonnet hair dryer, put on the bonnet over the processing cap, turn it on to hot until the bonnet gets warm, then switch to the warmer/less hot setting and sit there doing email or CurlTalk or filing my nails or plucking my eyebrows for 20 to 30 mins. Then I go back to the shower, rinse upside down, finish with a cold rinse (that helps frizz, too), then add my styling products.

That's my idea of a deep condish.

My other idea of deep condish is leaving a thick, rich condish treatment on all night and rinsing in the morning. This would include coconut oil tx's.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Last edited by MirCurls; 04-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.