Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #1

curlybrunette5's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Default HE Set Me Up

Well, I'm dissapointed. Why can't this stuff work?! It's so cheap and I love the smell! I've used it twice following the same routine I do with my BRHG. I co-washed, blotted with a microfiber tower, added a little Milkshake + Set Me Up (in place of BRHG), twisted my hair into smooth ringlets, added a bit of honey to the ends and diffused. I ended up with the exact same hair that I got last time I tried the HE....the ends curl but the rest of my hair goes straight and fluffy. I thought it was just a fluke the first time. It's very strange looking and I can't figure out why it does that. There's just not enough hold to this stuff and the back of my hair (the 3b part) is just frizz. So I think this will become a "when I pull my hair back wet" gel. Looks like I'll be re-washing and drying my hair again tomorrow with the BRHG...
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
curlybrunette5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #2

Join Date: Jul 2006

Maybe you have product buildup? Or not enough product..
3b-3c CG
JuicyTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #3

curlybrunette5's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006

No...I get amazing results from BRHG both before using the HE and after, and I used a good amount. This product just sucks for me.
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
curlybrunette5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #4

one way street's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006

Do you mix them together or layer?
mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
one way street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #5

Kaia's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006

HESMU didn't work for me either. It didn't seem to have enough hold, and left my hair frizzy and feeling producty. I got much better results with HE Body Envy.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
Kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #6

Join Date: Mar 2005

I like this gel. I had second day hair without having to spray/apply any more product. I also found it to be very curl enhancing.
Maudie
Maudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #7

sweetpeacurli's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Maudie
Same here! Too funny - I didn't like the Body Envy at all! It felt like it didn't scrunch out and I had a layer of plastic coating my hair, and I wound up with less body and curl than I get otherwise! Set Me Up is fantastic on me. I can even do 2nd day hair with it!
Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005

• Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
  • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
  • Giovanni Direct leave-in
  • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
sweetpeacurli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #8

Gemini13's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006

I tried SMU a few times but it didn't work for me at all. It left my hair really fluffy and undefined. It wasn't a "not enough hold" kind of fluff, it was more like something in it just did not agree with my hair.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
Gemini13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #9

SuZen's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003

I wonder if it doesn't work well over a leave-in?
SuZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #10

Join Date: Mar 2005

I use it over a dab of regular CO as a leave in. Still liking this gel.
Maudie
Maudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #11

Kaia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gemini13
That's pretty much what it did for me. Which is very odd since my hair loves Body Envy, even though the ingredients are almost identical.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*