Ouidad - For celebs only?

I have been using Ouidad for years.

By "using" I mean I wish I could use it daily, because it really does make my hair a pleasure instead of a pain, but I only use it on special occasions such as weddings, parties, etc, because each use involves between 4 and 9 dollars of product.

Well today I went online to get a big bottle for the holiday season's parties and ... it's up to $66 for the normal size bottle. (they sell a smaller bottle for 22 that is good for about 2 uses).

$66 for a bottle of gel?

I guess the queen of curl isnt out to help curlyheads, just to seel to the rich people.

what the )@(#*/.
I've always thought Ouidad products were awfully pricey for what you get, but that's pretty shocking.
An 8 oz bottle of gel lasts you 2 uses???? I can't help but think you're using an awful lot, unless your hair is down to your knees. I like the Ouidad products I've tried so far. It seems to me like you like her products a lot too. Whether or not they are worth the price tag to you is a matter of personal preference and your budget. Obviously the products are selling at that price, or they wouldn't be so expensive. I wouldn't go so far as to pass judgement on Ouidad's personality or intentions based on her product prices. She is running a business after all.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
Well but sure 66 $ sounds like an awful lot!
Are you sure that's the price? Is she donating a part to charity, maybe?
I know she's running a business but so doesn't my husband. He doesn't rob people. I think her prices are absolutely ridiculous. Fortunately for me my hair hates her products.
2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
The Climate Control Gel is the most expensive. $22.00 for an 8 oz. bottle. The 8 oz. bottle lasts me a while, I'm on the same bottle I bought in August. I mix it with the Tress FX ($15.00). My hair is just above my shoulders, but I can't imagine using and 8 oz. bottle in 2 uses.

They are expensive, like some of the beauty supply products. With the results I get from Ouidad, I can't imagine using anything else.
I'm assuming the $66 bottle is about 16 oz. and I agree with shancurl...that's just ridiculous. I won't even try Ouidad simply because I refuse to pay that kind of money. Some how I doubt it costs that much to make the product.
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
The $66 bottles are 33.5 oz. While I agree that's still expensive, a liter of gel should last most people a LONG time. If I had amazing results with them, I would be willing to spend $66 for a gel that would probably last me 6 months or more.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

After the price increase last month, I considered switching to another product. My husband said I better not switch, he said my hair has never looked as good as it does since using Ouidad products. He even told a curly he works with that she should try Ouidad products.

Yes, the products are expensive. I guess it all depends on the individual and if it is worth to them.

A lot of beauty salon products are expensive too. There are some products in CurlMart that are expensive. I'm not trying to justify her high prices. I just know her products work for me.

It's a personal preference as to where you want to spend (splurge) your money, mine is on my Ouidad hair products.
the liter bottles of ouidad stuff last me months, i feel its worth the price

true ouidad products are more expensive then others but with the results i get from them i dont mind paying it knowing my hair will look good every day its worth it for me
Diane
2C blonde long hair

•ojon + curls
•goal: to grow my hair to my waist!

•hair timeline:
-last cut 4.27.06@ devachan by jeff
-colored 3.6.07
-trimmed on 10.1
-softened @ ouidad 10.20
Anything that works for you is worth the money!

(For my hair, Ouidad is nothing special, so I don't have that dilemma.)
Shancurl, check out ebay for Ouidad products. They have a few on sale.
I love Ouidad products! It's up there with my beloved Devacurl.
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

OH wow you're right! They do have it reasonable on Ebay, dang it now I find this out! I could have tried this stuff already. Wonder if they'll take trade
2c/3a?
Low porosity, medium texture.

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
They have a little kit for the holidays that includes 5 2oz samples for $30. It might be a good way to try some of the products w/o making a major committment. http://www.ouidad.com/shop_hot-deals.asp
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Yup, I went to ebay the last time I bought Curl Quencher conditioner. I got two liter bottles for $45.00 including the shipping. The bottles came sealed and in perfect condition.
I am going to order some conditioner from ebay (and I have before with great results).

I think with the products, Ouidad says a smaller amount is better, so I am hoping I can get by on that and the products I order will last awhile.
pw: curls
3b/a
Cowash - No Poo, Suave Coconut
Conditioner - One Condition
Leave In - KCKT
Gel - KCCC at the moment
I've been wanting to try her products for awhile myself. Maybe I'll check out ebay or get her samples.
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

PW: flower
think of it this way:

8 oz for $22 = $2.75 an ounce

33.5 oz for $66 = $1.97 an ounce

Buying the larger bottle saves you $.78 per ounce.

ETA: You could always start a savings jar for the gel. Put all of your extra change (amazing how quickly this adds up and throw in $10 a week/month or however much you can afford). Before you know it, you will have money for your gel.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
I also love Ouidad products and get the Ouidad cut at a local certified salon. The products work better in tandem with the right 'carve & slice' cutting method. The prices recently went up, but I didn't know that much...You do have to use a lot of gel for the curls to stay defined and hydrated. I'm going to try Deva for the 1st time to compare. Do you like the Botanical Boost on no-shampoo days?
Originally Posted by shopbop
Ouidad appears to be changing her strategy. I received a letter in the mail from my local Ouidad certified salon that Ouidad has decided to sever relationships with her affiliates in our area. they can no longer do Carve and Slice cuts and are not licensed to sell her products, other than the ones already on their shelves.

The salon has switched to Curlisto so we'll see.
3C, BSL Unstretched -