Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair

Hey everyone!!

So one day I was surfing the 4a boards and the Nature's Gate product line (in general) was being discussed and I saw a comment by EmpressRi about how she used the Hemp Nourishing Condish and it calmed her frizz.

I dunno about you, but conditioner doesn't usually do that for me, so I had to investigate further. I went to my local Ricky's(NYC) and bought the Hemp Condish (18 fl oz) for $5.99, but it can also be found @ Whole Foods for the same price (and sometimes at a discount online via VitaCost.com, etc).

Product: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry or Frizzy Hair

Claims: "Effectively conditions hair to help restore natural moisture balance. Hair is nourished with essential fatty acids from Hemp Seed Oil and nutrients from Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Borage Seed and Jojoba Oil. The repairing elements of Milk Thistle and the ultra-moisturizing benefits of Brazil Nut Oil make this conditioner the ideal choice for dry, frizzy hair."

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Ruscus Aculeatus (Butcher’s Broom) Root Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elder) Flower Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract, Chrysanthemum Coccineum Flower Extract, Bertholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Caramel.

Size: 18 fl ounces
Price: $5.99

Consistency: I compare the consistency to KCCC. It's on the thin side/globbish like FSG if you've never tried KCCC.

Smell: Sweet herbal

Moisture capacity: 7-8/10 which is good considering the consistency isn't all that rich. This condish leaves the hair pretty moist and soft. I have pretty thick hair so I have to use a tad more, but that's saying something.

Slip: Excellent slip and because of this my tangles melted in the shower, which is really all you hope for a conditioner other than moisture till..

It actually does what it says and frizz DIES.

I was shocked the first time I played with it just for an overnight shot of moisture along with Shescentit Jojoba Hair Milk after a home color/DT and was impressed. I woke up the new morning with a perfect mini afro. LOL!!

Today I decided to try it again to see what it would do as a formal wash n go, again with minute amount another simple moisture cream (Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream). Scrunched, diffused to 70% dry...

and umm... yeah this conditioner is the business!! I can only imagine if I decided to use anything with hold on top of this but the frizz control for me was the same if I'd used a gel or gelly. The conditioner left in has a natural hold of its own that you feel as it dries,

My hair is soft, it has movement, and there is some definition and bounce. Shine? Not so much, but that's an issue that could easily be remedied with a shine agent. At least it looks well conditioned.

I'm about fully dry right now and could leave the house if I wanted with essentially naked hair. No hairspray, mousse, gel, nada -- just conditioner and moisture cream on my head. CRAZY!

Just goes to show that perhaps LESS is MORE!

I've attached pics of my hair wet as well as dry to show you what I mean. Just wanted to share this with you guys, and also give this conditioner an official thread of its own. I think its earned it (at least for me).

I welcome your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide1.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide2.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide3.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide4.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide5.jpg

Facebook|Twitter
Funny you should mention this conditioner. I just used in my rotation a few weeks back. I liked it. It did not do amazing stuff for my hair, but it was good enough at moisturizing. Didn't control frizz, but I attribute that more to styling products in my case.

I also got the Nature's Gate Biotin conditioner at the same time I bought the Hemp. The Biotin seemed drying to me. I will give it another try before it becomes shaving cream.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Originally Posted by Spiralli
I'm discovering through other products as well that there's possibly a connection between hemp seed oil and frizz control. Something bout hemp the hair likes.

Well, try it and see if it acts as a good bridge to styling. Perhaps the styling product choice doesnt play well with it--especially if its something like KCCC for example(which doesn't play well with oil based things, like this conditioner).

If not, you're right, it would be a "just right" shaving cream. LOL!!

Facebook|Twitter
That is impressive! It looks fab, and you only had the conditioner in in the pics? Dang!

Stop enabling my inner PJ!
2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)

Stop enabling my inner PJ!
Originally Posted by wavyblonde
Thanks! I thought so too. I used the condish with a minute amount of Burdock Root Butter Cream by Qhemet Biologics.

Enabling?? It's only 5.99

Facebook|Twitter
I've been trying to find this on the ground for the last couple of weeks. I'm going to hit up the natural store because I can never find it in Whole Foods
I got my bottles of Nature's Gate from vitavost when I was placing an order anyway. I think I paid $3.99. So if you order from them for other stuff throw in a condish or 2.

I think others have mentioned finding the conditioners at Big Lots or stores like that for even cheaper.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
Tried the Hemp Condish today, but it was a bit of a bust . It was raining cats and dogs all day and I was out and about. No surprise...I have frizz. Now, before I went out my curls were frizz free so I'm going to try it again on a nice and sunny day.

Nat, your pics look great! Oooh, I do love that new avatar!
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!

Nat, your pics look great! Oooh, I do love that new avatar!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Angel I'd definitely try it now if your dews are middle of the road or even more favorable.

Thanks!! I changed it to this on you and Mir's recommendation and it's been well received.

Routine:
-Water wash
-RO with Shescentit GTHC

Applied in sections:
-LI with Nature's Gate Hemp Condish
-BB FSG (additives: Hempseed oil, honeyquat, mag sulfate, agave nectar)

Took a nickel size and smoothed canopy for extra hold with:
-DonnaMarie Miracurls Curling Gelly

AWESOMENESS!!! This condish is a staple. Period!

Lemme know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13874.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13875.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13876.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13877.jpg

Facebook|Twitter
You know, this may be a really good keeper combo for you. (Although, really, I miss the minifro. That rocked.)

It looks not just frizz-free, it looks REALLY well conditioned, and the curlage is solid. It looks healthy.

3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Originally Posted by MirCurls
Thanks! Dew was 60 here too that day and these are pics I took before bed. Keeper!

LOLOL! Minifro will return soon. My BF took me to meet his parents so I had to tuck away mini fro.

Facebook|Twitter
Lookin' great nat! NG Hemp really works great for you. I'm going to have to try it as a LI.
Ooooo...meeting the parents. I'm sure they loved you!
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
I have this conditioner, use it as a co-wash on ocassion....will have to try it as a leave-in.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
I've been looking for an inexpensive leave-in, but I still have a liter of Jessicurl Too! Shea (which is great... just a little expensive for my budget).

I see http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Gate...ng-Conditioner has this for only $3.80! As if I don't have enough stuff under the cabinet... Why... oh... why do you girls do this to me?

OK-OK... I'm gonna be strong and wait until my supplies are down before shopping again.

MUST---CONTROL---MYSELF---

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
- Charlie Brown
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
Ooooo...meeting the parents. I'm sure they loved you!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Yes!! Try it and lemme know what happens. Meeting the parents was a great time. I feel like I was nervous for nothing.

Originally Posted by curlykey
ooh! I haven't co-washed with it yet funnily enough (just LI/detangler). Well, give it a whirl on the LI tip and report back.

MUST---CONTROL---MYSELF---
Originally Posted by KurleeEdna
WHAT!? Girl I'm off to buy MORE if the shipping fees aren't triflin...

and hang in there girlie!!

(or did you give in already?) LOLOL!!

Facebook|Twitter
I must admit that I too havwe tried the NG Hemp. When I used it at first (Last summer before going CG) it was great. I would used it after swimming.

But I don't know what happened. It just suddenly pooped out on me.

The same thing happened with the NG Tea Tree Condish.

I admit that I was sad when it stopped working.
Toronto, Ontario Curlie
2c/3a Fine Texture/Normal Porostiy/Normal elasticity
Using:CJCR/CJBH, Kevin Murphy Maxi wash, AG: recoil, JCCC, DBPSC, SSPT, SSPS, CHSCK
Air Dry only!
Want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to make lovely lush locks!
Living life one curl at a time!

But I don't know what happened. It just suddenly pooped out on me.

The same thing happened with the NG Tea Tree Condish.

I admit that I was sad when it stopped working.
Originally Posted by aunttallulah
I wonder if it was a buildup issue? I could see that happening if you don't poo in between. Everyone reacts differently to diff condishes. Some buildup and some don't.

Facebook|Twitter
Dang! I want your hair! I love your curls, and the VOLUME!

Still, you should rock the fro from time to time because I loved that look on you.

Naturalista, I do believe you may be Queen Product Junkie.
FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Dang! I want your hair! I love your curls, and the VOLUME!

Naturalista, I do believe you may be Queen Product Junkie.
Originally Posted by runnerchicki
ROTFL!!! You must've saw EllePixie's comment in the 4A board yesterday.. AFTER I discussed my mini haul from YOUR Etsy. Hehe... I'm sooo not the Queen of PJ's (at least I dont think...) LOLOL!! I may be her
second or third/4th/5th in command.

Thanks for the compliments! I actually reviewed your stuff on Etsy finally and attached some photos with the reviews.

I'm gonna revisit mini fro likely this weekend. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it with other combos. I merely stumbled upon it and now I have to do it purposefully. LOL!!