Old 05-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Default Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair

Hey everyone!!

So one day I was surfing the 4a boards and the Nature's Gate product line (in general) was being discussed and I saw a comment by EmpressRi about how she used the Hemp Nourishing Condish and it calmed her frizz.

I dunno about you, but conditioner doesn't usually do that for me, so I had to investigate further. I went to my local Ricky's(NYC) and bought the Hemp Condish (18 fl oz) for $5.99, but it can also be found @ Whole Foods for the same price (and sometimes at a discount online via VitaCost.com, etc).

Product: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry or Frizzy Hair

Claims: "Effectively conditions hair to help restore natural moisture balance. Hair is nourished with essential fatty acids from Hemp Seed Oil and nutrients from Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Borage Seed and Jojoba Oil. The repairing elements of Milk Thistle and the ultra-moisturizing benefits of Brazil Nut Oil make this conditioner the ideal choice for dry, frizzy hair."

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Ruscus Aculeatus (Butcher’s Broom) Root Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elder) Flower Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract, Chrysanthemum Coccineum Flower Extract, Bertholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Caramel.

Size: 18 fl ounces
Price: $5.99

Consistency: I compare the consistency to KCCC. It's on the thin side/globbish like FSG if you've never tried KCCC.

Smell: Sweet herbal

Moisture capacity: 7-8/10 which is good considering the consistency isn't all that rich. This condish leaves the hair pretty moist and soft. I have pretty thick hair so I have to use a tad more, but that's saying something.

Slip: Excellent slip and because of this my tangles melted in the shower, which is really all you hope for a conditioner other than moisture till..

It actually does what it says and frizz DIES.

I was shocked the first time I played with it just for an overnight shot of moisture along with Shescentit Jojoba Hair Milk after a home color/DT and was impressed. I woke up the new morning with a perfect mini afro. LOL!!

Today I decided to try it again to see what it would do as a formal wash n go, again with minute amount another simple moisture cream (Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream). Scrunched, diffused to 70% dry...

and umm... yeah this conditioner is the business!! I can only imagine if I decided to use anything with hold on top of this but the frizz control for me was the same if I'd used a gel or gelly. The conditioner left in has a natural hold of its own that you feel as it dries,

My hair is soft, it has movement, and there is some definition and bounce. Shine? Not so much, but that's an issue that could easily be remedied with a shine agent. At least it looks well conditioned.

I'm about fully dry right now and could leave the house if I wanted with essentially naked hair. No hairspray, mousse, gel, nada -- just conditioner and moisture cream on my head. CRAZY!

Just goes to show that perhaps LESS is MORE!

I've attached pics of my hair wet as well as dry to show you what I mean. Just wanted to share this with you guys, and also give this conditioner an official thread of its own. I think its earned it (at least for me).

I welcome your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide1.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide2.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide3.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide4.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-slide5.jpg

Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

Funny you should mention this conditioner. I just used in my rotation a few weeks back. I liked it. It did not do amazing stuff for my hair, but it was good enough at moisturizing. Didn't control frizz, but I attribute that more to styling products in my case.

I also got the Nature's Gate Biotin conditioner at the same time I bought the Hemp. The Biotin seemed drying to me. I will give it another try before it becomes shaving cream.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length. Modified CG since 5/2004; growing gray since 5/2007.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Spiralli View Post

I'm discovering through other products as well that there's possibly a connection between hemp seed oil and frizz control. Something bout hemp the hair likes.

Well, try it and see if it acts as a good bridge to styling. Perhaps the styling product choice doesnt play well with it--especially if its something like KCCC for example(which doesn't play well with oil based things, like this conditioner).

If not, you're right, it would be a "just right" shaving cream. LOL!!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

wavyblonde's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

That is impressive! It looks fab, and you only had the conditioner in in the pics? Dang!

Stop enabling my inner PJ!
2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
wavyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

Originally Posted by wavyblonde View Post

Stop enabling my inner PJ!
Thanks! I thought so too. I used the condish with a minute amount of Burdock Root Butter Cream by Qhemet Biologics.

Enabling?? It's only 5.99

Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

Join Date: Sep 2009

I've been trying to find this on the ground for the last couple of weeks. I'm going to hit up the natural store because I can never find it in Whole Foods
Cerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

I got my bottles of Nature's Gate from vitavost when I was placing an order anyway. I think I paid $3.99. So if you order from them for other stuff throw in a condish or 2.

I think others have mentioned finding the conditioners at Big Lots or stores like that for even cheaper.
Location: Texas
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

angel29ish's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

Tried the Hemp Condish today, but it was a bit of a bust . It was raining cats and dogs all day and I was out and about. No surprise...I have frizz. Now, before I went out my curls were frizz free so I'm going to try it again on a nice and sunny day.

Nat, your pics look great! Oooh, I do love that new avatar!
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
angel29ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Originally Posted by angel29ish View Post

Nat, your pics look great! Oooh, I do love that new avatar!
Angel I'd definitely try it now if your dews are middle of the road or even more favorable.

Thanks!! I changed it to this on you and Mir's recommendation and it's been well received.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Updated pics of the conditioner with product

Routine:
-Water wash
-RO with Shescentit GTHC

Applied in sections:
-LI with Nature's Gate Hemp Condish
-BB FSG (additives: Hempseed oil, honeyquat, mag sulfate, agave nectar)

Took a nickel size and smoothed canopy for extra hold with:
-DonnaMarie Miracurls Curling Gelly

AWESOMENESS!!! This condish is a staple. Period!

Lemme know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13874.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13875.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13876.jpg   Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner for Dry/Frizzy Hair-sdc13877.jpg

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #11

MirCurls's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009

You know, this may be a really good keeper combo for you. (Although, really, I miss the minifro. That rocked.)

It looks not just frizz-free, it looks REALLY well conditioned, and the curlage is solid. It looks healthy.

3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
MirCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #12

Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post

Thanks! Dew was 60 here too that day and these are pics I took before bed. Keeper!

LOLOL! Minifro will return soon. My BF took me to meet his parents so I had to tuck away mini fro.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #13

angel29ish's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

Lookin' great nat! NG Hemp really works great for you. I'm going to have to try it as a LI.
Ooooo...meeting the parents. I'm sure they loved you!
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
angel29ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #14

Join Date: Oct 2008

I have this conditioner, use it as a co-wash on ocassion....will have to try it as a leave-in.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #15

KurleeEdna's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

I've been looking for an inexpensive leave-in, but I still have a liter of Jessicurl Too! Shea (which is great... just a little expensive for my budget).

I see http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Gate...ng-Conditioner has this for only $3.80! As if I don't have enough stuff under the cabinet... Why... oh... why do you girls do this to me?

OK-OK... I'm gonna be strong and wait until my supplies are down before shopping again.

MUST---CONTROL---MYSELF---

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
- Charlie Brown
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
KurleeEdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #16

Originally Posted by angel29ish View Post
Ooooo...meeting the parents. I'm sure they loved you!
Yes!! Try it and lemme know what happens. Meeting the parents was a great time. I feel like I was nervous for nothing.

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post
ooh! I haven't co-washed with it yet funnily enough (just LI/detangler). Well, give it a whirl on the LI tip and report back.

Originally Posted by KurleeEdna View Post

MUST---CONTROL---MYSELF---
WHAT!? Girl I'm off to buy MORE if the shipping fees aren't triflin...

and hang in there girlie!!

(or did you give in already?) LOLOL!!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #17

aunttallulah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

I must admit that I too havwe tried the NG Hemp. When I used it at first (Last summer before going CG) it was great. I would used it after swimming.

But I don't know what happened. It just suddenly pooped out on me.

The same thing happened with the NG Tea Tree Condish.

I admit that I was sad when it stopped working.
Toronto, Ontario Curlie
2c/3a Fine Texture/Normal Porostiy/Normal elasticity
Using:CJCR/CJBH, Kevin Murphy Maxi wash, AG: recoil, JCCC, DBPSC, SSPT, SSPS, CHSCK
Air Dry only!
Want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to make lovely lush locks!
Living life one curl at a time!
aunttallulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #18

Originally Posted by aunttallulah View Post

But I don't know what happened. It just suddenly pooped out on me.

The same thing happened with the NG Tea Tree Condish.

I admit that I was sad when it stopped working.
I wonder if it was a buildup issue? I could see that happening if you don't poo in between. Everyone reacts differently to diff condishes. Some buildup and some don't.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #19

runnerchicki's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009

Dang! I want your hair! I love your curls, and the VOLUME!

Still, you should rock the fro from time to time because I loved that look on you.

Naturalista, I do believe you may be Queen Product Junkie.
FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
runnerchicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #20

Originally Posted by runnerchicki View Post
Dang! I want your hair! I love your curls, and the VOLUME!

Naturalista, I do believe you may be Queen Product Junkie.
ROTFL!!! You must've saw EllePixie's comment in the 4A board yesterday.. AFTER I discussed my mini haul from YOUR Etsy. Hehe... I'm sooo not the Queen of PJ's (at least I dont think...) LOLOL!! I may be her
second or third/4th/5th in command.

Thanks for the compliments! I actually reviewed your stuff on Etsy finally and attached some photos with the reviews.

I'm gonna revisit mini fro likely this weekend. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it with other combos. I merely stumbled upon it and now I have to do it purposefully. LOL!!