Marie Dean

I am thinking of ordering a couple of products from Marie Dean but unsure of which ones to go for. To give you an idea of what has worked/not worked for me:

Works very well/HGs
- CJ CCCC lite
- CJ smoothing gellie (don't have it any more but loved it when I did)
- Komaza coconut lotion + pudding

Don't work at all
- CJ Aloe Fix
- KBB butters
- CJ CIAB

I am thinking of ordering the CSC, Peaches and Cream soft curls cream, the red clover LI, the Mango Pudding (Plus?) and maybe one more product. What I really need is a leave-in and a curl cream (my curl pattern is not that strong). A good detangler would be nice too.

Another question: I have noticed that several people have commented on the scents being very strong. Is this still the case? I prefer a nicely/lightly scented product to an unscented one, but can't handle heave scents like the CJ Daily Fix (heavy floral). I think I tend to react more to floral scents than anything else, but also some scents that have a vanilla-like note (the CJ Curl Assurance leave-in has this strange note that makes my throat constrict). I know I can opt for unscented, but I would prefer to buy at least some products scented - assuming the scents are mild.
3a; med-coarse; ii; med or high porosity (or a mix); med elasticity
LOVE CJ products but CJ is no longer sold in Europe and does not ship to Europe so looking for other products. Like Crown Pride and Curly Kinks.
Current HG: CJ CCCC-lite+BRHG
I don't know why I can't get MD to work for me - tried CSC today and then FSG with some BRHG and hair was flat on top, greasy looking, stringy.

I think I just need something lighter - I don't like my curl pattern with MD. I'm finding out I can't even really use most LIs that are creamy - KCKT works for me but it feels lighter and more jelly-like.

Anyway, anyone wants some big samples of MD? Gonna be posting them on the swap/sell board.

Works very well/HGs
- CJ CCCC lite
- CJ smoothing gellie (don't have it any more but loved it when I did)
- Komaza coconut lotion + pudding

Don't work at all
- CJ Aloe Fix
- KBB butters
- CJ CIAB

Originally Posted by s-curl-7
My favorites are the curly styling cream and the red clover/honey leave-in. The mango pudding plus is also nice, but it's much heavier than the CSC so I can only use it in the summer; it flattens my hair the rest of the time. The peaches soft curl cream is lighter than the mango pudding plus, but still heavier than the CSC.

Next time I re-order, I plan to stick with the CSC and forego the other two curl creams.

The red clover/honey leave-in is definitely sweet-smelling, but not overpowering IMO. The peaches soft curl cream is more strongly scented. I would describe the red clover/honey leave-in as having a light fruity scent.

Last time I ordered from MD they sent me a large sample of CSC in a new scent -- I think it was raspberry vanilla -- which was much better/less intense than the old scent which was caramel (and which made my hair smell like a freshly-made latte for two days straight). If you're unsure about the current scent (plain vanilla, I think?), I'd suggest buying one jar scented and one unscented and then mixing the two together. If you're not a big fan of vanilla, this might be the way to go regardless. You could just keep the extra jar in the fridge when you're not using it, and then alternate it with CCCC lite and Komaza pudding when the dews drop again.
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
Lilagirl, do you think that maybe you just used too much product? When I use CSC, I use it sparingly (3 dime-size amounts for BSL hair) and then use it with a gelly only (SS CEJ). I then use a tiny bit more CSC to SOTC. Also, I supersoak after applying both the CSC and my gelly, and the extra moisture really helps distribute the product and keep my hair from getting weighed down by it.

If I use it properly, my hair is never greasy or stringy with CSC. I'd suggest trying it again with just your FSG (no extra gel), and either supersoaking or applying both products to soaking wet hair. Then once hair is dry, you can smooth a little more CSC on top and re-scrunch to tame flyaways, define your curls and prevent frizz.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I will - I have below BSL hair and used maybe a dime-sized amount or a little more - I distributed it well but didn't supersoak. I want to maybe try the strawberry one - does that work for you? Or should I do CSC

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
but melaniesusan, do you get a good curl pattern with MD? I can't seem to - I mean, does it give you good curl?

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
I get a good curl pattern with MD CSC and peaches soft curl cream. I usually pair them with SS CEJ - that might also help enhance the curl somewhat. The MD lemon yogurt makes my hair flat, and the mango pudding plus can make it curly or flat depending on the dews. The MD red clover/honey leave-in doesn't enhance curl as much - I use it for moisture and extra definition.

Maybe you didn't use enough product? I was guessing too much because of the greasy/stringy issue, but maybe that was due to FSG + BRHG. It sounds like I use 3x as much product as you, plus your hair is longer than mine. Of course, I supersoak, so some of the product probably rinses down the drain. But maybe you didn't get much curl because you didn't use enough product.

I'd suggest smoothing a tiny bit on dry hair and then re-scrunching and see if it boosts your curls at all. You also might try pairing it with just FSG or just BRHG (or my fave SS CEJ) and see how it looks.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
IDK - today I used CCC-Lite to try some other LIs - with KCKT+ CK+BRHG I get AMAZING hair - volume, clumps and shine and zero frizz... Used CCC-lite today - to me a creamier/heavier LI - and I get stringiness again - skinny curls, some crown/halo frizz... and just not the same level of shine. This is what happens when I use LIs - any LI - and MD is just much richer and for my fine hair I dont think I do well - but I will try MD with CEJ ...

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
Have you tried CJ CCCC lite + BRHG? I do about 2 quarter-sizes of CCCC lite (prior to supersoaking + plopping) and scrunch in 1 quarter-size BRHG (mixed with a little water). This works for me very well in low dews. I can also substitute FHG for the BRHG.

If your dews are high, however, you might need CK because of the glycerin in it. Both CCCC lite and the MD CSC are flycerin-free.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
Today I've got CCCC lite in with just CEJ and I supersoaked (Plopping doesn't work for me). We'll see...

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
Thanks Melaniesusan! Will definitely go with the CSC, probably unscented. Now I am waiting for a reply from Marie Dean because I realised when I was clicking around that you have to email them about international shipping. I am hoping the shipping cost will be ok because I really, really want to try the Marie Dean line. I got a chock when I thought of buying Uncle Funky's Curl Magic - the shipping was 105 USD for one bottle.

Current HG: CJ CCCC-lite+BRHG
I did CCCC lite today and then CEJ and supersoaked. Eh. It's poofy - it's okay but I think need something with more hold ...

I'm learning that a light LI like KCKT (not creamy ones) and a hard hold are the best for me. I don't know why, exactly, but I just don't get good results. I'll try CCCC one last time with FHG or BRHG, but ... dunno.

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
LilaGirl, that combo doesn't work for me either. I need more hold with CCCC lite than CEJ. I use CCCC lite with either FHG or BRHG. CCCC lite + BRHG is an HG combo for me.

Regular CCCC has more hold IMO than CCCC lite. I can use regular CCCC with just CEJ on top and then a little MD smoothed ontop of dry hair for added definition/frizz control. I only do this combo in high dews, however, because of the high amount of glycerin in regular CCCC.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
Oh, I must've read things wrong here, then. I'll try CCCC lite and BRHG tomorrow. How much of each and do you supersoak? I don't have the non-lite cccc to try so ... I'll try this and if I get frizz, I'll try MD, but ... I can't picture it. MD is almost a little sticky and I can't see "smoothing" it into my hair.

I still don't know how to read dews, but it's pretty hot here right now and only mildly humid.

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
To know your dew point, go to www.weather.com and look at "right now" and then "expand weather details." When dews are above 50F and especially above 60F, you generally will need something to combat frizz. Marie Dean products are especially helpful then to seal hair against humidity. To use as a pomade, put a tiny bit on your fingertips and rub together in your hands and then dab or smooth lightly on your ends to tame any flyaways. Then wash your hands to remove excess product and go back and re-scrunch your hair. If need be, turn the diffuser on for a minute or two to re-heat the area to which you applied product. Hair will be soft, not at all sticky, unless you applied a really heavy product (like Mango pudding plus) and used too much.

For CCCC lite, I use about 2 large quarter-size amounts for my BSL hair. I rake and comb through, shake my hair (grasping the bottom) to release the natural curl pattern, then supersoak, and plop for 20-30 minutes while I get ready. Once I take down the plop, I wet my hands and then put 1 quarter-size amount of BRHG in one hand. I rub my hands together to mix BRHG with water so there is more product to distribute. Then I use one hand to smooth and scrunch product on the left side of my hair, and the other hand for the right side of my hair. I then air dry or diffuse, not touching hair until completely dry, and then SOTC once dry.

The CCCC lite + BRHG protein doesn't contain protein, so if you want to enhance curl more, you can add more protein to your routine either by using a protein rinse-out conditioner in the shower or by mixing a tiny bit of CJ curl fix with your CCCC lite. This is one of DEL2C's HG formulas.
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Last edited by melaniesusan; 06-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
OOhhhhhhhh..... well, thanks for solving that HUGE mystery! We got 66 dewpoints here today.

But I have to go to a wedding tomorrow and I like to experiment with whatever combo I'm using the day before to be sure it's what I want for the next day's washing and I did the old KCKT + CK + BRHG. Great shine, bounce, zero frizz, but it's scrunched up a lot - pretty tight curls. Most would probably love it, but I like my curls to be a little more elongated, so I think I just used too much product. I'll try a little less tomorrow, but I always get great results with this - amazingly soft too.

The MD makes more sense now. Thanks! I was picturing smoothing it on my crown not my ends, but that makes sense.

And thanks for an explanation of that last combo - I'm going to try that after the wedding I have to attend when I'm back to experimenting!

You're helping me so much - even explaining the protein thing. If there's none in my stylers, it makes sense to use in my co/ro - but is there any in KCKT or CK?

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
So the CCCC lite and BRHG didn't work out for me. No hold. TONS of volume but poof and no hold.

I think it's the heavier (and CCCC lite is considered heavy for me just in terms of the consistency) LIs that I don't do well with.

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
I've heard back from Adriene and since the shipping rates are ok for international shipping I have decided to order:

- Peach Curl Cream
- Coconut/Lime Detangler
- Red clover/honey leave-in
- Curly Styling Cream
- Lemon Smoothie
- Strawberry Yogurt Hair Smoothie

I decided to go with scented for all products except the CSC and hope I made the right choice... maybe I should go with unscented for the peach curl cream?!?

The products I decided not to order after all: mango pudding plus (wasn't listed on homepage so that helped me remove it from my wishlist), papaya condish,3i1 condish and the lemon sunshine souffle. I mean, I couldn't very well buy 10 products... hehe.

I notice that a lot of people who like the DM products seem to have fine hair - I have mostly medium-coarse (some fine), and it is the coarse hair (on my canopy esp.) that is the trickiest/frizziest.
Current HG: CJ CCCC-lite+BRHG

Last edited by s-curl-7; 06-14-2011 at 09:25 AM.
I think you made some good choices. The peach scent is nice, so it should be fine. I think the new scent of the Curly Styling Cream is improved. The unscented still has a "scent" to it. Must be the ingredients.

Not sure why you can't buy ten products, LOL? I think I have 24 or so of the MD products--and have used some up that aren't available right now (like the mango pudding, which I would reorder.) I do plan to "wean" out some in the future. How many products do you need from one company??

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC