Marie Dean

For Marie Dean product users: Do you get different results with the coco chip soft curl cream and the yogurt hair smoothie? If so, how?

I'm intrigued by the fact that the yogurt hair smoothie is glycerin-free, but its description on the Marie Dean website is a little confusing. The smoothies supposedly "will define curls and add moisture and sheen to hair with a soft natural hold" but when it comes to application, one should "apply from root to tip [and] straighten out with a comb."

Incidentally, the coco chip soft curl cream also provides straigthening instructions, even though the name "curl cream" suggests otherwise. Also, it is specifically described as "a hair softening moisturizer that rejuvenates the hair and scalp." I'm not sure if it's intended to moisturize (and thus help define) strong curl patterns, or if it will also be curl enhancing for 2B/3A hair types.

I'm assuming both are multi-use products, for either straightening hair or enhancing curls, but am wondering which one is better at curl enhancement for those of us with weaker curl patterns.
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I actually didn't see the straightening instructions, LOL! I think the curl enhancing is similar with all of the products.

You have to remember, I started this whole CG journey as a winter wavy/summer curly. When I look at the pictures from my stepson's wedding in July, 03--my hair is very loose 3a curls. Right next to it is a picture from a January wedding that was right after ice storms--and I'm barely wavy! So, I'd say that this stuff does wonders for "2b/3a" hair patterns.

Hey KM, which do you like better - the Curly Styling Cream or the Soft Curls Cream? I'm looking for something similar to the Califia Styling Pudding - a little bit of hold, but not a gel.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by ellepixie
I like them about the same and probably better than the Califia Styling Pudding. I use about half as much, no leave in and get better curl definition. I don't use or need gel, but I do use jelly type products with them.
Originally Posted by kathymack
KM, how does the yogurt smoothie compare to both of those?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Thanks!
Originally Posted by ellepixie
Originally Posted by kathymack
KM, how does the yogurt smoothie compare to both of those?
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I've gotten great hair with each and every one of the products. I couldn't say that one is better than another. I know that makes it hard, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

KM,

Since you get great hair equally with all of them does that mean when you repurchase you'll narrow down to one? It'll be interesting to see how it performs as the summer progresses. Perhaps one will stand out over the others.

Facebook|Twitter
Bah, I can't figure out what I want! Leaning towards the Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie...I've never used something with strawberry oil...gotta hurry up though, today's my last day to buy products before I'm on a no buy kick for the rest of the month!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Originally Posted by Naturalista
I've been using at least one product every day for three weeks with only a few days break. So far, they've all performed really well.

[quote=kathymack;1372021]

Originally Posted by Naturalista

I will comment that I used the Qhemet BRBC with UFD Curly Magic. It didn't hold up nearly as well as the Marie Dean product I used with the UFD Curly Magic two days ago (although I usually don't use the same product that close, I wanted to do it so I could compare.) I will use the BRBC again soon, but my hair "grew" today and the curls became less defined. It didn't happen with the MD product (I forget which one) with similar weather and time outside--I also crewed for my neighbor the hot air balloon pilot. In front of the fan that blows up the balloon and everything. And my hair held up MUCH better![/quote]

kam, that is the most unique product test I've ever heard about...LOL. I'm still waiting for my samples to arrive (which I expected). Can't wait to give them a whirl. Our dews have been ranging between 40 and high 50's. My hair is much happier in these dews and with good products good hair days are guaranteed.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
Our dewpoints have been in the mid 60's all week. Today was the third day the temperature was supposed to reach 90. That's a heat wave, more like August weather. And my hair has been really great. Today was the worst and not until the end of the day.

Originally Posted by kathymack
I want to see how Angelfish does on these, then I'll reconsider.

When I took my pics today, it was just over 98 degrees and 64 Dew Point and had just done raining. Whoa. It does feel like later in summer. We had a very cold winter. Are we gonna have a raging hot summer?
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Originally Posted by kathymack
I want to see how Angelfish does on these, then I'll reconsider.

Originally Posted by MirCurls

Will keep you posted.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
KM, thanks for the review of these products. Because I'm broke, my PJism has been cured but I think when I return from vacation, I will give some of these products a try.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
It is only a matter of time before I can't control my PJ on these products....they sound so wonderful. But I just bought Spiral Solutions and Darcy's Botanicals.....what to do, what to do??
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.

Originally Posted by pigreyhound
It looks like a lot of the products overlap, so maybe try samples of KM's top likes? Check Kam's fotki and see...

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Oh I just gave in and asked Kam to send me some samples of what she had of Marie Dean. I can't take it....I NEED IT!!!

Originally Posted by pigreyhound
I feel ya lady.. I'm constantly on my curl hustle. We all are in a way..LOL!!

Hope it works for you. This will be fun and we all can compare notes!

Facebook|Twitter

I feel ya lady.. I'm constantly on my curl hustle. We all are in a way..LOL!!

Hope it works for you. This will be fun and we all can compare notes!
Originally Posted by Naturalista
I love it, Curl Hustle! I like trying new products. And when something works for Kathymack, it usually works for me. This is my second time around with CG and my hair is responding very differently than it did before, so many of my old products do not make my hair look good. Which means I am doing the Curl Hustle!!

Hehe!!! Do da hustle!

Waiting on my shipping notice. It's taking a bit. Is this normal?

ETA: NM... its gonna take 5 b-days to make and additional 3-5 b-days to process. Well.. still better than Afroveda.

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-05-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Well we will have to compare Marie Dean notes when you get your order. Nothing is more exciting than waiting for a PJ shipment!!

Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Good grief! Always new products to try.

Of course you know kath, I'm gonna have to get samples of this stuff eventually since our hair reacts to most things pretty similarly. siggggghhhhhh
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
whatsercurl, you KNOW that I would never steer you wrong!

I just looked up the timelines on my order. I ordered May 4 and had it by May 12. Just to give you an idea of the turn around time.