Marie Dean

I've only used it once (just got my samples from Kathymack today!), but I really, really like the lemon yogurt smoothie. I used it in place of my normal leave-in (SS DD), and then I styled as usual with CEJ and FHG. My hair turned out very shiny (CIAB shiny even) and my hair, which usually forms spirals and s-waves starting an inch from my scalp, had a lot of root curl! It's also very touchable and held up really well in high dews. I will have to try it a few more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it's definitely something I'm eager to use again!
2a/3a. Very fine. Porous.
No Poo/Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop Top Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
Conditioner: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, SS Deeply Decadent, SS Repairing Protein Treatment
Stylers: SS CEJ, SS FHG, KCCC

I just want to thank Kathymack for being willing to put together samples of so many products for us to try. It satisfies my PJ tendencies without bankrupting me.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Posts: n/a
FYI. You can't order samples anymore from the Marie Dean site AND it looks like you can't order products unscented. That's too bad because I got a couple of samples of butters and styling creams and the scents were too much for me so I sold them.
Originally Posted by lovestosamba
I was looking at the site last night. It also looks like a lot of products with dimethicone are no longer listed.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Originally Posted by amyloplast
VERY promising and looks good! I got my FedEx notification today so it should be here by Wednesday! Yippy!!!

Originally Posted by lovestosamba
Originally Posted by kathymack
Hmmm. Her products are too expensive to not have samples. I tried the vanilla repair mask and it was awful. It was very thick, stiff and dry. When I put it on my hair it had absolutely no slip. When I rinsed it out, my hair had NO moisture. I also got a sample of the vanilla liquid conditioner and it had no slip. I threw the bottle away. My hair is very finicky. Now that she doesn't sell samples, I won't be trying anything else.
UPDATE: I decided to try the liquid conditioner sample as a moisturizing spray. I added aloe vera juice, honeyquat and silk amino acids. Voila, amazing as a spritz.

Last edited by lovestosamba; 06-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.
The samples being gone maybe has to do with fixing the glitch?

I did not place an order, but when I went there and added stuff to the cart, some samples showed teh price in the wrong place (ie, by the description and not in the actual price place), so that it seemed they were free (and they weren't supposed to be).

I decided I have enough stuff and unless people with hair JUST like mine raved, I'd skip it.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Posts: n/a
The samples being gone maybe has to do with fixing the glitch?

Originally Posted by MirCurls
Ah that could be it as I e-mailed her about the 0.00 prices in some of her samples. Maybe she'll have it together by the Fall.
kam, I just wanted to let you know my samples arrived today. Woohoo! I'll be trying them out over the next few days and will post results. The dews are reported to stay in the mid 50's through the week so it will be a good time to try them. I've been smelling and feeling all the samples. They feel very rich and the scents are unique and pleasant. My hair doesn't get weighed down easily so I'm interested to see how it tolerates the richness of the products. Thanks so much.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
I have used the lemon yogurt smoothie a few times now (have not gotten around to the other Marie Dean samples because I am so attached to this one!). I really love it. Here are my results from today (with UFD Curly Magic and FHG over it). It was quite humid today, but this held up very well (I have extremely fine hair, so I do not need any more hold than FHG provides). I cannot tell you about second or third day hair because I never try for multiple day hair. I like styling my hair in the morning. When I run out of my sample, I will absolutely buy a full size container if I find another product or two of hers that I like. Otherwise the flat rate shipping will be a bit too expensive to justify the purchase.
Marie Dean-photo-27.jpg   Marie Dean-photo-25.jpg
2a/3a. Very fine. Porous.
No Poo/Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop Top Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
Stylers: SS CEJ, SS FHG, KCCC

As everyone knows, I'm currently enamored with these products (I admit, I'm a product strumpet!) While I like everything I've tried, I do think the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie is special. I'm getting ready to place another order to get some of the products I didn't get the first time--and restock some of the others.

I emailed last night to see what, if any, the REAL difference is between the smoothies. Is it just the ingredients that give it fragrance, or is it something else. Same thing with the hair drinks. If/when I get an answer, I'll post the information.

Originally Posted by amyloplast
WOW!!! Look fab! I didn't order the smoothie, but if the stuff I did get performs well I certainly will consider it.

Facebook|Twitter
Here's the answer I just got:

"The Yogurt Smoothies are slightly different. I use different oils and scents for each but use the same extracts and other ingredients. I add lemon hydrosol to the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie.

The same goes with the Hair Drink Moisturizers, I use different oils and scents. You'll be surprise how many customers love certain oils and how many dislike certain oils; hence the many variations, which customers love. I also received requests to create some Hair Drink Moisturizers without silicone. The Shea Hair Drink PROLESS was the only one without silicone. Now, all of them are without silicone.

Also, the smoothies are a bit thicker than the hair drink moisturizers.

Hope this helps!

Adriene"

I figure that's why I didn't get the Hair Drink Moisturizer in my first order. Seems like she's cut out a lot of the products with silicone, since I ordered about four weeks ago.

Ok.. Adriene ALREADY on my good side....

1. She sent me SAMPLES anyway!! Ultra sweet!

2. EVERYTHING smells DIVINE!!

- Curly Styling Cream: MY FAVE!! Smells like caramel!(and I'm a caramel junkie). Consistency is like DB's Coconut and Aloe Moisture Pudding, but when you take a dab and rub it on the skin it instantly absorbs like a cream. Left the skin patch crazy soft!
- Mango Hair pudding (oiless): just a hint of mango which is perfect and not overpowering. Consistency is like an Afroveda hair butter IMO. Took a dab and despite its butteriness it's also light and absorbed into my skin quickly. Feels a touch sticky, but it has veggie wax in it so that's to be expected.

- Mango Papaya Conditioner: Now this scent goes HARD!! Tropical explosion of sweetness so if you don't like fruity this will be too much for you. My BF thinks its smells like peach jellybeans..LOL!! Consistency is slightly thicker than DB Daily LI.

- Lemon Yogurt Hair Smoothie: Smells like buttery lemon pound cake which is sooo airy and pleasant IMO. The consistency is like a smoothie and whipped up.

3. She sends you a detailed explanation/description of the products you ordered and HOW to use them in a circular so you can refer back to it as needed.

This is clearly someone that pays attention to details, knows her products well, and wants you to have the best experience with them.

Soo... I'm psyched! First thing in the AM I'm diving in!

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
amyloplast, your hair looks great!
I was going to wait a few days to post results, but I'm just thrilled with my hair today! I used the Mango Papaya Condish as a rinse out, Coconut Choc. Chip Soft Curls Cream as a LI and CJ CIAB. Love it! The Marie Dean product is wonderful at frizz control and defining curls. I took a pic at about 95% dry and my curls stayed intact and frizz free all day. The scent of the condish was strong, but nice and it faded after a while
Nat, you're going to love this stuff. Great find kam!
Marie Dean-june9.jpg
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
I'm sitting here grinning just reading all of the positive comments! Still trying to decide what to order in my next foray.

amyloplast, your hair looks great!
Nat, you're going to love this stuff. Great find kam!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Your hair looks INCREDIBLE!! I mean perfect curls and not a frizzy lizzie in sight!!! Whoa momma!!!

Now I'm really chomping at the bit!! Will post results tomorrow.

Ok Mir.. you can come out now!! You can't deny Angel's hair!!! LOLOL!!

Originally Posted by kathymack
I'm almost afraid to like it... this could get pricey.

Facebook|Twitter
I decided to try the Curly Styling Cream with Upper Mgmt Gel by KissMyFace.

Regimen:
Plant poo
RO with Curly Q's Coconut Dream Condish
In sections added:
Curly Styling Cream as LI
Upper Mgmt Gel

Distributed with a poo brush, scrunch, diffuse to 60% dry.

So, when I put the cream on @ 1st it helped calm the frizz and applying the gel took care of whatever frizz remained. For a few sections I decided to see what would happen if I only used the styling cream and after I ran the poo brush through my curls separated and bounced happily. My thoughts in the shower were that I could possibly use this alone if I saturated my hair with it. It didn't enhance my curls, but I really liked the idea that this was a CURL SEPARATING CREAM. I'm not a clumping fan persay.

Once all the product was in I had very little frizz and even before I started diffusing I could see root lift and my hair volumizing which is strange as it was still pretty damp and that normally doesn't start happening until I've dried a little.

So I diffused to about 60% dry and the results came out pretty well but I guess I was looking for MD to do something phenomenal b/c I felt a little disappointed. Perhaps I needed more moisture or using UM gel was a blah choice (vs. what you guys have been using, but UM gel has otherwise been great in my hair).

It's a dry run and I have plenty of time (and product, b/c you don't need much) to test it out. Maybe it will improve as it dries (very nice light hold btw). I guess I was hoping it would define and enhance my curls more. I will say though, that the separation, body, and movement are top notch!!! This hair SWINGS!!!

Overall initial impression (Curly Styling Cream): Not better than what I have on deck, but perhaps with a change of supporting product that could change.

Now for the pics, which don't capture what I'm seeing so you guys will call me nuts. LOL!! TBC....
Marie Dean-slide1.jpg   Marie Dean-slide2.jpg   Marie Dean-sdc13950.jpg

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-10-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to describe the hold
So far, love the Mango Papaya Conditioner. Used it as rinse out this morning. As Kam said, it soaked right in.

Still working with the curl cream and Yogurt smoothie. My hair has good volume and lasts all day. If I had longer hair, I would be able to get second day hair with these curl creams, I think. I used the Curling Cream and Yogurt Smoothie under UM. As Naturalista said, I am not sure UM is the best gel. For some reason it doesn't seem to play as nicely as it does with my SS products. I am going to try FHG tomorrow and see what happens.

I like the scent of the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie. The Curl cream is a bit too caramel for me. I like citrus scents.

The curl cream and yogurt smoothie have not had the curl enhancing properties as the SSCEJ does for me. But I do like the way my hair feels with the heavier moisture.

Just need to keep practicing.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.