Marie Dean

ok yall.. this smoothie stuff is GAME ON!!!!

Gave my hair a trim this AM with a PT and a DT and slapped this stuff in the BBFSG on top and VOILA!!!!

Curls on like POPCORN! No frizz in sight. I have a little frizz now but that's after a jacuzzi, couples massage and aromatherapy session and so given the manipulation I think it looks pretty damn good.

The smoothie is much more moisturizing than the curly styling cream IMO. The smoothie like the curly styling cream is also CURL SEPARATING which I like but it also DEFINES CURLS which the styling cream didn't do for me. The smoothie also gives great movement with a light hold. Very touchable hair.

Originally Posted by Naturalista
Ooooh yea, your curls do look more defined and voluminous than with the Styling Cream. Get it boo!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Thanks! Rocking pretty decent 2nd day hair now..

Originally Posted by Naturalista
Originally Posted by ellepixie

Facebook|Twitter
Oh yeah Nat! Definitely worked well for you. These are such good products for moisture... and talk about soft hair! I still can't achieve 2nd day hair, but I haven't really been putting any effort into it. I have too much fun playing with my hair goodies.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Thanks!

LOL!! I totally get ya! Sometimes my hair looks perfectly fine 2nd day but I go wash it anyway.

The lemon smoothie gave good bed head so I was able to go down to breakfast with good curls, but I'll likely play with the mango (oiless) pudding and see what pops off. LOL!

TBC...

Edit: Took day 2 pics this AM after posting, but can't find my daggone camera. I'll upload later.

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-12-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Naturalista - so glad it is working so well for you! I SO want to love Marie Dean but just can't figure it out. Right now I am still getting better curl formation from SSCEJ and UM. And my hair is light and feels like I have nothing in it. With Marie Dean my hair feels a bit coated.

How much of the Smoothie do you use? Maybe I am using too much? Can you use the Smoothie by itself? Without gel?
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I never use a lot of any product, except for FSG. I also don't use gel, just jelly products. Why don't you try a small amount of Lemon Yogurt Smoothie with a jelly that you like--and see how that works?? Another thing with richer products--I put a little in my hands, emulsify, smooth on my canopy, gently rake it in with fingers and scrunch (sometimes wetting hands like when making meatballs, if my hair isn't soaking wet after I put product in.) Do the same with the jelly.

Originally Posted by kathymack
KM, when you say you use a little Marie Dean and lot of FSG, how much is that exactly?

I'm on a 2nd day experiment with the MD smoothie + FSG + BRHG (for added hold) and curl is great but hair feels a tad bit producty and could use more hold, so I'm wondering if I should use less MD and more FSG or less FSG?

The more specific you could be, the better. Also, how long is your hair currently?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I could probably use a 1/2 ounce sample jar of any rich product at least 5/6 times. I use approximately an ounce of FSG when I use it.

I think the amount of yogurt smoothie you need is highly individual. I've used my 1/2-oz sample six times and I think I'm only about a sixth of the way through it. I get great results using a dime size amount or less (hair about 2/3 of the way to BSL when straight). I will try using more tomorrow, but I think any more would weight down my hair and make it feel a bit coated.
2a/3a. Very fine. Porous.
No Poo/Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop Top Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
Conditioner: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, SS Deeply Decadent, SS Repairing Protein Treatment
Stylers: SS CEJ, SS FHG, KCCC

I was wondering what kind of results people have been getting with the papaya and mango conditioner. I stupidly did not order a sample of this. I really want to order the lemon yogurt smoothie and one or two other products, but the smell of the soft curls cream and the curly styling cream clash with my other product scents and do not fade. I also get better results with the lemon yogurt smoothie. I currently use SS Caitlin's conditioner daily and love it, although it seems like most people here recommend rotating conditioners. Kathymack, do you think a fine haired, porous curly could use the conditioner without being weighed down? I was seriously considering buying the lemon and strawberry yogurt smoothies, but I have barely made a dent in my sample and am worried that the products might go bad before I finish using them.
2a/3a. Very fine. Porous.
No Poo/Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop Top Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
Stylers: SS CEJ, SS FHG, KCCC

Originally Posted by amyloplast
I'd only buy one of the yogurt smoothies, the biggest difference is the scent. You might think of only buying a 4 oz instead of an 8 oz. I think I posted Adriene's response when I asked the difference.

"The Yogurt Smoothies are slightly different. I use different oils and scents for each but use the same extracts and other ingredients. I add lemon hydrosol to the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie."

I bought several other products to try this time around.
Mango Hair Pudding - PLUS
Lemon Sunshine Hair Mousse
Coconut Milk Hair Drink Moisturizer
Lemon Sunshine Hair Soufflè
Olive & Wheat Berry Intense Protein Deep Conditioner Treatment
Soy Lemongrass Ultra Conditioner
Simply Lemon Sunshine Conditioner
Coconut & Lime Hair Detangler

The hair drink moisturizer is supposed to be similar, but lighter then the yogurt smoothie. I think the same with the mousse and souffle. If you can wait, I'll let you know when I get and try them. Of course, I'll review the new products.
1 Coconut Vanilla Liquid Conditioner
Size - 8 oz.

N, I'm not sold yet. I remember way too many threads where people loved stuff, then stopped loving stuff. I'm keeping my eyes open, though.

My main reasons for not ordering:

1. I have way too much damn stuff
2. I have sensitivities to citrus fragrances, and them main product I wanna try is the lemon yogurt smoothie.
3. I hate the sound of most of those scents (choc chip is not a scent I want in myhair, and mango-papaya may trigger an allergy issue)
4. Shipping costs. That's what made me close out the cart last time I was tempted.

So, when I see that after a few months people are still raving, quality is good, and maybe they have a sale with 20% off or free shipping, I'll reconsider.

The allergy issues are coming to the fore: I love Curl Junkie and have had to sideline it more and more as I keep flaring up in my scalp with allergic itches and scales. It's likely the fruity scent-related stuff, but not sure. It's frustrating, as I have a lot of CJ stuff and I like the performance, but I hate having big itchies and then big scalies from the reaction. So, I've had to transition back to BB and SS and ABBA Pure Gentle, with some CJ when I dare risk it.

Anyway, my closet/cabinets are chock-a-bloc with hair stuff and I don't wanna start another hoarding issue and then develop allergies to stuff. Sigh.

But I like the pics, for sure.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 06-13-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Hey guys! I tried the Lemon Yogurt smoothie yesterday (thanks Kmack!) and I really like it. I used a litt more than a dime upright and upside down and then scrunched in a little abba PF gel on top. At first I thought it was going to weigh my hair down, but as it absorbed fully by noonish, it looked really great, nice volume, nice definition. I would like to try it with a "gellie" type product as some of you have been, only problem is, I don't HAVE a gellie type product that works for me. FSG, CEJ, UFCM, EW AJ, and DM MCJ did nothing for me. Are there any other gellies out there....sorry to guano....lol
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Originally Posted by Chelley Mae
Have you tried Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic? I feel like I've read that you have and that it didn't work. I could never understand how to get AOMM to work for me until it just did. I have a tight curl pattern so I don't need hold as much as I need frizz control. I like to use AOMM over a cream like QCCC to give me soft, defined curls.
3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
Low Poos:
MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.

Originally Posted by pigreyhound
I have super thick hair, and even so I used like a 2 dimes worth per row (I do my hair in sections). It spreads well so you don't have to be heavy handed with it.

IMO KM has the right of it in that these products are so rich in that you only need to use a gel or a gelly and so far FSG has been the magic maker for me.

I bought several other products to try this time around.
Mango Hair Pudding - PLUS
Coconut & Lime Hair Detangler

1 Coconut Vanilla Liquid Conditioner
Size - 8 oz.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Good Lord woman!! There's gonna be a Caribbean showdown in your hair! LOLOL!! Lots of play with.

My main reasons for not ordering:

The allergy issues are coming to the fore
Originally Posted by MirCurls
This will definitely be an issue for you then if she doesn't offer any unscented varieties which I haven't checked...

I have the mango hair pudding in my hair and I was telling someone that I smell like I belong in a daggone TREE IN JAMAICA!! ROTFL! I didn't expect this b/c in the jar is didnt smell all that threatening but this smell has persisted all day and I can imagine someone NOT wanting to smell like a tropical fruit being nauseated by mango afterwhile. Good thing I like it and my BF loves it, otherwise it wouldn't be on the repurchase list.

Speaking of your going back to FSG.. perhaps now is the time to make your own? A lovely little birdie pushed me to do so and now I have my own little magic. I can use the $$ to do other stuff now. Ok.. till I can replace the FSB, BB still gets a little of my money...LOL!! LOVE BRULEE!

Found the camera!!!

It's pretty curly for day 2! Frizz is acceptable for bedhead hair on a non-satin pillow.

and before you ask no.. I'm NOT a morning person! LOLOL!

Facebook|Twitter
So... I've finally done it and did it quite well on the 1st go!! I have my own FSG formula now and I LOVVVVVVVVE IT!!!

Here it is with MD's Mango Pudding (Oiless) as a LI.

As I mentioned to Mir earlier, this product smells lighter than it actually is in the jar, but once its in your hair you smell like a fresh ripe mango and the smell lingers at the SAME STRENGTH so if you aren't into that, take note.

The pudding emulsifies very easily so you dont have to distribute it in anything. Just rub it in your hands and smooth it on. A little goes a long way.

The pudding unlike the smoothie and the styling cream is a CLUMPING agent so curls start forming and making cliques right away. This defines and adds a wonderful shine. I have the OILESS formula so it's as advertised with no grease factor. The pudding does give a light hold on its own which adding my FSG kicked it up slightly but my hair remained soft, frizz free and held up all day in spite of the rain. I can easily see 2nd day hair in my future.

PICS!

Originally Posted by Chelley Mae
Try the CJSG, AOMM as tonsofcurlz mentioned, even plain old AVG. If you have CIAB I'd try that out as well.

Being that your curl is a tad looser if the gelly doesn't work, perhaps you need a gel. Try those 1st if you have em though!

Originally Posted by amyloplast

I'm curious about this too - rotating condishes. I also use Caitlin's.
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!