-   -   Marie Dean (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/105725-marie-dean.html)

kathymack 06-02-2010 08:26 AM

Marie Dean

I got several products in this line 2 1/2 weeks ago. Saw a post on the 4a forum asking about them, looked them up and HAD to order. It was hard to only order 10 things to try! I wanted to try each of them several times, so I could really evaluate them. Here's the link, so you can look up the ingredients: http://www.mariedeanonline.com/ When ordering, you need to be careful, there is a "key" and you can order similar products several ways, without protein or oils, with cones, etc. I ordered a lot of things and didn't notice I ordered one wrong. Of course, it was the most expensive product, the protein treatment and it has dimethicone. Don't know if there would be a better way for Adrienne, the owner, to do this. But I fault myself for not double checking. I learned my lesson and won't do it again. There is flat rate shipping cost of $7.95 not matter how much you order. It was shipped from CA one day and I got it in Philly the next.

With the exception of the Papaya Mango Liquid Conditioner, the fragrances were all pleasant and light. The PM Conditioned smelled strongly, but not totally unpleasant. Some of the fragrances last all day (the caramel and chocolate) but that one doesn't.

I ordered:

Cocoa Hair Pudding Plus, caramel
Coconut Choc. Chip Soft Curls Hair Cream, chocolate
Curly Styling Cream, caramel
Lemon Yogurt Hair Smoothie, LEMON

These all came in a jar. Once the dewpoints go above 60, I only use a leave in OR curl enhancer with a jelly product. I used these as either/or with the jelly. My hair has been MUCH curlier--in my mind, pictures don't show it as much. Lots of 3b ringlets mixed with the bigger 3a curls. I really like all of the products. If I could only pick one, it would be the Lemon Smoothie--I love the lemon smell.

Coconut & Lime Hair Detangler, coconut/lime
Papaya Mango Liquid Conditioner, strong smell of both
Aloe Liquid LI Conditioner, fresh clean smell

These are more liquid and come in a bottle. I used the P/M Liquid Conditioner the first day, which was the day after a haircut/highlight. My low porosity hair DRANK this up. It's NEVER done that with a product and did it the next two times I used it! I use the Coconut & Lime Detangler OR the Aloe Liquid LI as my styler with a jelly. Same great hair as with the jar products.

The first time I used these products, I used the P/M Conditioner as my rinse out and one each of the jar and bottle products with a jelly. It was a little too much for my hair. I suspect they will be FABULOUS if we have another cold, dry winter.

I've mixed these with any number of jellies--and they play well with everything! CJ CIAB, SS CEJ, EW SAJ, DM Curling Gelly, FSG, UFD Curly Magic--to name a few. I want to try it with the Botanical Spirits Puree--which I've forgotten.

Several of these products are whipped. Two of the jars arrived next day--quite deflated. The jars looked less then half full. I contacted Adrienne and she worked a little on making a product that wouldn't deflate in transit and replaced them. These arrived in perfect condition. I've noticed big bubbles in some of the other products. When I filled a larger bottle with product of one of the Aloe LI--it became half as much product. I still love these products and would definitely reorder all of the ones I've tried.

Two of the products came with refrigeration labels. It was not noted on the website. When I commented to Adrienne in my email about the deflated product, she said it was "cautionary" because of the high temps we can get in the East. So, people who go through product slowly might want to take that into consideration and refrigerate.

Couldn't figure out how to upload pictures to this post. I put two pictures of my hair in my fotki (Coconut Lime Detangler with CJ CIAB.) This is prior to loosening my hair from my scalp. I should add that I get good volume with this products. If I get a little frizz, when my hair is completely dry and I've done the loosening--I wet my hands and just smooth a LITTLE water and it seems to go away.

My last report will be from my neighbor. She saw me two Sundays in a row. I had the haircut in between, and had used at least one Marie Dean products each of four days. She asked me if my hair was curlier because of my haircut?? This is someone who sees me frequently and knows about my nc.com obsession. I had to say no, it's the new products. I've gotten even more great hair comments the last two weeks then usual--it has to be these products!

Naturalista 06-02-2010 09:00 AM

Coconut & Lime Repair Mask
2 oz. (sample size)
0.00
Soy Lemongrass Ultra Conditioner 2 oz. (sample size) 0.00
So... for 29.95 total (S/H is 7.95) she ALLOWS if you buy at least 2 products FULL PRICE, to receive FREE SAMPLES within a different class than what you ordered.

but you can get a smoothie, and a deep conditioner.

Anyway.. you get the idea. So I get to try almost a little of everything (and so can you) without spending a ton-- unless you wanna.

Also if you're shipping to CA you're subject to 9.75% sales tax, otherwise no tax.

angel29ish 06-02-2010 09:46 AM

Oh wow kam, your curls look fabulous! I can't wait to try the samples I've ordered from you. Thanks for the review.
:flower:

kathymack 06-02-2010 09:48 AM

Thanks, ladies. I really think you're going to be happy. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Naturalista 06-02-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 1369048)

I'm excited! You KNOW I'll let you know! Hehe!:walk:

lovestosamba 06-02-2010 02:14 PM

but you can get a smoothie, and a deep conditioner.

did you verify this with her? When I was trying to place my order a couple of samples came up with 0.00. I e-mailed her and she said that this was a web site error. She asked me to e-mail her the products that came up 0.00. Her webmaster fixed those items. I don't think she is giving away free products. (haven't looked at the website lately) she does give samples with her orders.

Naturalista 06-02-2010 03:16 PM

but you can get a smoothie, and a deep conditioner.

Well.. I spent like a good 30-45 mins playing with the cart and depending on how I switched it up it def bills you for certain samples within the class you paid full price Like I cant order a full price curly butter and a sample butter and it appear as 0.00). I switched my full price items to retest the theory and the same thing that it was charging for when it was in the same class, it didn't (Ex:changed the full price item to the smoothie, and then the curly butter showed up 0.00). Perhaps I found a glitch? Not sure, but there's a maximum of 4 samples you can order without getting billed because the classes overlap so much.

Perhaps its intentional on her part, or it isn't-- but as a customer its not my job to verify how the seller runs her site. I survey the lay of the land and decide whether I want to play or not. Friendly glitch? I didn't order only samples... so dunno.

Of course if she contacts me regarding stated glitch I'll recompense accordingly or cancel and edit the cart as needed and redo the purchase. Folks have to make a living, but I don't have time to run behind folks either.

lovestosamba 06-02-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalista (Post 1369491)

but you can get a smoothie, and a deep conditioner.

Wow, I was just trying to save you and others the disappointment if it's a web site problem. I put the 2oz sample of the coconut/lime mask in my cart and it came up 0.00, which tells me its a web site problem. (I used to do testing for a living) But as you wish. I'm done.

Naturalista 06-02-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lovestosamba (Post 1369516)

Originally Posted by Naturalista (Post 1369491)

Originally Posted by lovestosamba (Post 1369444)

Wow? What's the wow for? I didn't deliver my reply in attitude or a snit, it's simply a fact that most people don't have the time to follow up sellers. They log on, make their purchases and the process goes on. I did acknowledge that I didnt add only samples to see what would happen and I also stated my intention to do what needs to be done according to the sellers conditions. I was billed for my items and I paid. She can review her orders like every other mom and pop and contact me regarding the discrepancy and ask me if I want to purchase those sample items or simply send me what I paid for. Nothing I've said sounds unreasonable, but I appreciate your responses.

pigreyhound 06-02-2010 04:23 PM

Kathymack,
I am always interested in what you use on your hair since our hair has some similarities in what works for our curls....SO, since I just finished a bit of a PJ binge with Spiral Solutions and Darcy's Botanicals, I am almost distressed to find out there is ANOTHER company I need to check out!!

Since I am trying to behave myself (and make it easier to hide more products from my hubby :angel11:) what would be the top two or three products you would recommend?

kathymack 06-02-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pigreyhound (Post 1369574)
Kathymack,

I would recommend a liquid conditioner, either the detangler or leave in and the yogurt smoothie--if I could only have three. I'd want a pudding and a cream, too. That's limiting it to half of the products I got. Can't tell you about the PT--I'm sure it's wonderful, too.

MirCurls 06-02-2010 09:25 PM

I will resist. I will resist. I wil resist....

Naturalista 06-02-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MirCurls (Post 1369925)
I will resist. I will resist. I wil resist....

Mm Hmm.. I said the same thing a few weeks ago. LOL!!

pigreyhound 06-03-2010 12:19 PM

Resistance is futile......

kathymack 06-03-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by pigreyhound (Post 1370447)
Resistance is futile......

Don't think you'll be sorry, LOL!

melaniesusan 06-04-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 1369782)

Kathymack, how would you compare the Marie Dean leave-ins to the Shescentit coco creme leave-in?

Also, when you use either curl creme + gelly or leave-in + gelly, do you also use any hard-hold gel on top?

I could imagine using CIAB or FSG without any gel, but was surprised by the SS CEJ. I have a difficult enough time getting hold from SS CEJ when I pair it with SS FHG; I can't imagine it was just a leave-in underneath.

kathymack 06-04-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by melaniesusan (Post 1371264)

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 1369782)

I would say that the Marie Dean products that I bought are at least as good as the Shescentit Coco Creme LI. I almost never use gel, it makes my hair frizz and feel producty--especially your beloved BRHG. I'm spoiled. Used to my hair feeling soft and productless, so I don't tolerate the products that make it feel like it's coated with something.

I've only used these with dewpoints in the high 60's. So far, not problems with hold.

EllyEllyOxenFree 06-04-2010 08:39 AM

Lemon Yogurt Hair Smoothie, LEMON

Coconut & Lime Hair Detangler, coconut/lime
Papaya Mango Liquid Conditioner, strong smell of both
Aloe Liquid LI Conditioner, fresh clean smell

Hey KM, which do you like better - the Curly Styling Cream or the Soft Curls Cream? I'm looking for something similar to the Califia Styling Pudding - a little bit of hold, but not a gel.

Thanks!

melaniesusan 06-04-2010 08:57 AM

For Marie Dean product users: Do you get different results with the coco chip soft curl cream and the yogurt hair smoothie? If so, how?

I'm intrigued by the fact that the yogurt hair smoothie is glycerin-free, but its description on the Marie Dean website is a little confusing. The smoothies supposedly "will define curls and add moisture and sheen to hair with a soft natural hold" but when it comes to application, one should "apply from root to tip [and] straighten out with a comb."

Incidentally, the coco chip soft curl cream also provides straightening instructions, even though the name "curl cream" suggests otherwise. Also, it is specifically described as "a hair softening moisturizer that rejuvenates the hair and scalp." I'm not sure if it's intended to moisturize (and thus help define) strong curl patterns, or if it will also be curl enhancing for 2B/3A hair types.

I'm assuming both are multi-use products, for either straightening hair or enhancing curls, but am wondering which one is better at curl enhancement for those of us with weaker curl patterns.

kathymack 06-04-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ellepixie (Post 1371275)

Thanks!

I like them about the same and probably better than the Califia Styling Pudding. I use about half as much, no leave in and get better curl definition. I don't use or need gel, but I do use jelly type products with them.