Does anyone NOT like Curl Keeper?

Double post - didn't realize I'd already responded above
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by auntnett; 08-13-2010 at 10:10 AM.
It thoroughly dried my hair out with first use. Never again.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
Me!

It made my hair lank, and my ringlets barely formed.

Never again.
Originally Posted by ninja dog

+ 1!!!! Er, waves and cork screws at the base of my neck :-)

I actively hate Curl Keeper.

At first I thought it was just because I wasn't using it right.
Then I thought I was using too much.
Then I thought maybe it was just having long hair.
Then I wondered why I bothered to say I'd be willing to try it again with shorter hair if someone who specialized in curly hair thought it might be better.

A stylist used this on me recently and my hair was practically straight, product was gooped all over my scalp, and my hair was the most crunchy, non-scrunchable nasty hot mess I've had on my head in a LONG time. It was one of the most disgusting experiences I have ever had and I regret to say that I actually paid for it.

So no, you are NOT alone in your dislike for this product
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

I actively hate Curl Keeper also and threw it out. It made my hair a coarse, stringy mess. I also couldn't do the skip curl technique that is shown in the Curl Keeper video.

Worse than useless for me.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I just tried K-Y liquid in place of the Curl Keeper, under the AG Re:coil. I love, love love it! Softer, more touchable curls. Frizz not too bad, especially since it's raining here today. I am pleased!!

Sad that I spent so much money on the CK, but live and learn. I supposed I can keeping using the CK just occasionally in my rotation. But it's not a HG for me. Maybe K-Y will be. It already is for it's intended use. :-)
Originally Posted by BigHairLala
hehehe!
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, As I Am Curling Gelly,
Sealant- Castor, sweet almond oil,Hairveda Vegetal soya oil KBB hair cream
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!

CURL KEEPER is still my all time favorite product on the market to prevent frizz in the hot humid Florida weather.
I use it EVERY time I do my hair actually afraid not to use it!!! I have been using it for over 2 years now without fail.
I use it on dripping wet hair over my KBB nectar and under my BRHG and it works great for me everytime!!! Throw in a little CIAB at times too.
Can't even smell the icky scent anymore. I've become immune to it!?!

I still LOVE it!!
DT: Curl Junkie
Diffuse 70% dry
Location: Pompano Bch Florida

NEW PICS
works and it doesn't like anything else I use -- have to rotate, my home made fsg works and then it doesn't, my all time go to is KCCC and BHRG over top of anything - have to use them in the FL humidity or everything frizzes and droops, just my 2 cents....
Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
So, I ordered all this stuff, and now what - I hate the Curl Keeper - first of all, it burned on my scalp, then made my scalp itchy. It seemed to work well as far as nicely formed curls, but the itch! Can't stand it - makes me wonder what's in that stuff to burn and itch. Now I'm wondering about using up the shampoo and the leave-in silk conditioner. Is it going to ruin what I have had going with the CG products? That's what I get for being a product junkie! Has anyone tried the shampoo and leave-in silk conditioner?

Another question for everyone - I have such great results with Twisted Sista curl activator - just worried about build-up. I have 3b fine hair. Thanks all.
Originally Posted by bettinfla
Hi, Bettinfla - just curious, because despite being a CG for over three years now, I've never tried Curl Keeper. My first bottle from Curl Mart arrived today, and I was just wondering - do you use it with anything else?

I decided to treat myself to some new products, because my standard combo is KCCC mixed in my palm with the Giovanni Strong Hold Gel. That gives me good curl definition and lots of shine, so I'm not getting rid of either of those - but I just wanted to try some new things. But how do you use the CK? Alone or mixed with a gel? Or mixed with something like KCCC? I'm more concerned about if I should treat CK like a styling gel or like a curl activator?

Thanks for any help!
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
I bought some, two bottles, and the Gel. well, maybe it is the change in the weather, but for now, I have gone back to my mousse/gel combo. I dont think I like gels much. I apply mousse and then a touch of gel close to my scalp for lift. CK is still up in the air. Or, more accurately, on the shelf for now.
I've been using CK for years and love it! Summer staple for me. I mix it with gel in my hand. I sometimes also use it alone over a leave in. HTH!
Originally Posted by MassCurls
Excellent! Thanks so much for your help!
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
I don't. I thought it would be the answer to my prayers and control all my frizz but it did absolutely nothing. Great disappointment to me.
Originally Posted by Starmie
curlypearl likes this.
Formerly Urbancurl.
Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
Originally Posted by MassCurls
Re-quoting you again to let you know that I tried it this morning with the Am Pro Olive Oil gel mixed in my hand, and I really like it so far. It's only my first day, so who knows - I tend to have to rotate products every so often as my hair gets "used" to them. But going by today, I like the feel of my hair compared to my usual mix of KCCC and Giovanni Strong Hold. The curls are softer, and just as shiny and defined.

We'll see how it goes over the long haul!
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Curl keeper is my holy grail, it works amazingly well for my 3a curls. I like it under AG recoil. I buy both in bulk

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
Robin
*mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
*3a shoulder length curls
*experimenting with the CG method
It didn't work well, and it stinks like burning trash bags.

No, I didn't like it.

Siri types my posts for me.
Honeycurls likes this.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I don't like it either. I've used a sample that I received from curlmart a few times and always feels like I have a plastic coating on my hair. I think my hair leans on the low porosity side which might be why it doesn't work for me, maybe? lol It really stinks though because I was hoping that CK would be my HG for summertime.
Well, I bought it maybe a year ago and tried it a couple times and decided it didn't do anything for my hair. I didn't notice any change. Then this winter I was watching some curly YouTube videos and some of them were raving about it. So I decided to break it out again. And I love it. I wasn't using enough before, I think. I definitely need moisture under it and hold on top but I do love it.

And it's funny... I love the way it smells.
It didn't do anything for me. I tried it when I first joined nc.com with high hopes but nope.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I liked it at first but I found other products worked better (and smell better) I really can't stant the sweet plasticky scent.
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean