Does anyone NOT like Curl Keeper?

If so, why?

I've thought I'd found my HG, but after about 10 days of use I am re-evaluating. Just wondering if others don't like it, what was your experience>

Thanks!
Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJs Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish
Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
Join Date: Mar 2008
Me!

It made my hair lank, and my ringlets barely formed.

Never again.
I didn't find it did anything for my hair. Luckily it was a free sample.

If I were to try it again I would probably use KY Jelly, apparently it has most of the same ingredients as CK
Toronto, Ontario Curlie
2c/3a Fine Texture/Normal Porostiy/Normal elasticity
Using:CJCR/CJBH, Kevin Murphy Maxi wash, AG: recoil, JCCC, DBPSC, SSPT, SSPS, CHSCK
Air Dry only!
Want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to make lovely lush locks!
Living life one curl at a time!
They say you cant use to much but if I use enough to control my frizz I have a producty look to my hair. I would rather use cones to control my frizz.
Originally Posted by crazywaves
This has been my experience so far. Esp. after a few days use w/o a low-poo wash.
Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
Used it a few years ago and HATED it.....it made me itch like heck. Won't reevaluate it, I'm done with it.

FWIW, KY doesn't work for me either. I have other things that do though!

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
When I tried it about a year ago, it made my hair dry, dry, dry and very frizzy. Really don't need to spend money to get that kind of a result!
It made my hair feel coated, and as someone stated above, it made my hair lanky and shapeless. Oily looking, I guess. I have experimented with it but nothing works. However, I find my hair doesn't like any type of serum product.

I just gave up on Curl Keeper. I didn't like the way it felt in my hair and I didn't get the great results that some people did.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
CK made my hair feel dry the times I used it and didn't provide any more curl enhancement or frizz control then any other product I've tried. I tried KY jelly as well and it didn't dry me out at all though...so I'm considering getting some more soon to try again in my hair.
Ontario, Canada
3a/3b - fine texture/high porosity
CURRENT LINE-UP:
experimenting....
Others: CLU towel, Mebco comb, occasional diffuser
All CK did for me was make my scalp burn. Didn't do anything for my hair.

I don't. I thought it would be the answer to my prayers and control all my frizz but it did absolutely nothing. Great disappointment to me.
3b in South Australia.
i did hate it at first...till recently i used it on top of my leave in and under my gel and then i was in love.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
I just tried K-Y liquid in place of the Curl Keeper, under the AG Re:coil. I love, love love it! Softer, more touchable curls. Frizz not too bad, especially since it's raining here today. I am pleased!!

Sad that I spent so much money on the CK, but live and learn. I supposed I can keeping using the CK just occasionally in my rotation. But it's not a HG for me. Maybe K-Y will be. It already is for it's intended use. :-)
Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
CK was all the rage when I first joined this site but I don't see it mentioned much anymore. I tried the CK + Re:Coil combo and didn't like it. CK gave me major frizz and grease. I also couldn't stomach the smell of it. I think CIAB is a better alternative for me.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
I didn't find it did anything for my hair. Luckily it was a free sample.
Originally Posted by aunttallulah
+1.. mine wasnt a free sample though =(
after asking around apparently i expected it to do something different than it does?

& realized i dont really have a need or want for it.. now im stuck w. a full bottle LoL
dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)

It was huuuuge when I joined the board so I used it for about a year, then stopped. I don't like liquidy products, can't gauge how much I'm using. And something about the fragrance.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Originally Posted by pigreyhound
This. I despise it. I gave it many chances, experimenting with it every which way since so many swear by it - it's one of those love it or hate it products, it seems.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I hated it. It made my head itch and my hair greasy looking. I gave my CK away.
I liked it, but it took me a lot to figure out how to use it correctly.

I don't remember too clearly, but I believe I had to use it on soaking wet hair. I think I used to keep the bottle in the shower with me so I could apply it while still showering.

I think I had to do the raking through and scrunching thing while letting it completely dry before scrunching the crunch out again.

I can't remember if I used other products with it, or if I used it alone.

I did not, however, like the conditioner in that line.
FrizzB, how long did you use it before you hated it (since you gave it a glowing review on CurlMart). I remember I bought it cause some regulars--Del, Rudee--gave it high marks on CurlMart.

I used it once. Gave me shiny hair, big clumps, low frizz, multiple days hair, but it was too volume reducing on top (generally, if I get bigger clumps, smoother hair, I get more weight, so I get less top volume, so..). I used it in winter, though. Now, I'm leery about retrying it cause of the glycerin.

I'd be interested to see if Del and Rudee also changed their minds about it.

Since I have seen the phases come and go, even in my short 9 months here, I am leery of trying the "new hot product" and finding the love passes and next year no one wants to use it much anymore.

I think it's normal to get excited about the "thing that's buzzing"....but I am more likely to wait and see if people continue to buzz...before I buy. (Marie Dean, for example. I did cave and bought the EcoStyler, but didn't use it after having it for over a month...)

Of course, there's the seasonal thing. I think what time of year someone uses something may color opinion, but the product may work better in another season or another "hair phase"--like when hair needs protein vs is protein-balanced, dry vs moisturized, etc.

I'm thinking maybe I should try it again, this time with Re:coil, and see hwo it goes. Though I am afraid to get a reaction like KM and RyM. The itchies suck. And the stuff STINKS. Hate the scent....

But it does add shine.

Here's back when I used it in Jan:

Pics below: First is hair is dry but not shaken out. Second hair has been "shaken about" as the CHS video shows to do to get some volume...
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone NOT like Curl Keeper?-jan2010-curl-keeper-first-use.jpg   Does anyone NOT like Curl Keeper?-mirlaughcurlsjan26of2010is121x90and6kbavatar.jpg
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 08-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.