CJ Curl Fix vs. SS Repairing Protein Treatment?

Hi everyone,
Which one is better as a protein treatment? Any others you would recommend?
Thanks so much!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein

Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
They're both good. I've only used SS RPT, but they often get paired together as alternates. Lots of people like them both, or equally. You might see if kathymack has samples of both for you to try.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...5&postcount=59

I have both. I use both. They're both good products, but they don't work exactly the same on me.

My advice, try both in samples or just buy both (if you now you can handle protein, that is), because how it works on us is not necessarily how it works on you and what I prefer is not necessarily what YOU prefer.

In fact, go visit CurlMart and read the ingredients in Curl Fix. Then go to the Etsy SS shop and read the ingredients in SS RPT. Then see if one has more "you hair" friendly line-up and go for that one.

I tend to use the Curl Fix more, although I don't like the scent (yuck). But I like it as a night light protein tx when I feel I need it and I like mixing it with Curl Rehab (both as precondish and as deep condish). I don't use it as leave-in or rinse-out, but some do.

I'd probably use it more often if I liked the scent.

I have the SS RPT with caramel latte scent (got it last winter), so you can tell I don't use it THAT often...mostly cause, yes, I also hate this scent.

When I reorder in the new scent, I may be inclined to use it more often. If Curl Junkie made Curl Fix smell like, say, Musk, which I adore, I'd use THAT more often.

But I'm not a fan of the SS scents (dont hate em, don't love em). I really do NOT like Curl Fix's intense floral/gardenia-ey scent.

But both work. When I need MORE protein, I use SS RPT. When I feel I need some protein, but not lots, I go Curl Fix I go by....intuition.

So...if you think you need A LOT of protein right now, buy SS RPT first

If you think you just need a shot of protein into your current mix or a lighter protein fix you can use more often without worry, try Curl Fix.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Can someone help me? I tried to purchase samples from that site, but was having trouble. Is it me or is there a trick to ordering?
Why is it necessary to focus on the scents this much???? It's impossible to have a scent that has universal appeal. I happen to hate musky scents myself LOL

I've used both and don't find either scents too strong nor do they linger. Some people are just more sensitive I guess.

I'm still learning to use both of these, trying to figure out how much protein my hair can handle to keep it bouncy and happy. So far I like Curl Fix better as a LI and the Spiral Solutions as a protein treatment. I'm leaning toward liking curl fix just a little more.
2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
I agree with Mir's assesment of the PT's. Curl fix is great when you need a lighter hit. My hair always craves the protein, so I don't bother with it much anymore -- however, I looove the scent. It was one of my faves! lol.

I have the SS RPT in the caramel latte, I find it very mild and pleasant. not so much so that I look forward to using it, but it works well.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Originally Posted by wavysue
Cause some of us are very sensitive to scents, so I mention it in case someone has a particular aversion.

I don't like my head smelling like I had an altercation with a hothead at Starbucks who spilled their caramel macchiato on my head. Or like I went headlong into my gardenia bush.

I adore musks, not all--some are cloying and headache inducing. But my Les Bain du Marais Musc Blanc, Serge Lutens Claire de Musc, and Il Profumo Musc Bleu make me very, very happy (especially the first and last). I even use the Body Shop's White Musk shower gel (though the spray scent is less pleasing). I have by BB FSG and brulee in white musk (hers is a bit more animal, "bedsheets afte sex" smell). And I love the Philosophy lighter day scents with some musk.

So, yeah, I adore good musks on the cleaner side, that are not vanilla-ey or too childish/teenagey.

Originally Posted by goobernut
Your batch must have been way different than mine. Mine can fill the house with that scent! It's why I use the products less than I normally would and look forward to my next order with the more fruit/herb scents. I ordered in, er....when..late winter? And I still have a half full RPT and 1/3 full DD even after I finished the CEJ from that order.

I think I've ordered 3 times (maybe 4, I forget) from SS, but since I didn't finish the caramel latte items, I didn't reorder those.

Originally Posted by MirCurls
I appreciate the scent feedback. I'm more sensitive to floral scents (lavender aside) than anything else. Strong herbal scents bother me too. I can get a headache quite easily with strong floral or herbal scents so it's good to know. I happen to love the caramel latte scent, though I do like the new SS ones as well. That said, when I think of the Deeply Decadent Moisture Treatment, caramel latte is the epitome of decadent to me.

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...5&postcount=59

Thanks for the feedback! I do think I want that bigger hit of protein so I think I'll try out the SS...
I too am picky about scents, if they linger, that is. I don't want to smell bad or over the top! Actually, when I got my hair cut recently, the stylist used Deva products and my hair smelled SOOOO GOOD! I don't know which product exactly was imparting the smell, but it lasted for a day and a half and even after I washed my hair. I'm off to Ulta to do some sniffing to figure out which product had the amazing smell, and then I'll probably buy it...yep, just because of the smell

Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
I know what you mean! I really love the smell of set it free -- I really wish it had worked for my hair. It was so yummy candy like.

I did some smelling at Ulta and turns out it's the AnGel that smelled so good. I didn't smell Set It Free (forgot to), but I smelled B'LeaveIn, Set Up and Above, and Heaven in Hair and they definitely were not the smell I remember from the salon.

Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
I've never tried the SS Repairing Treatment but my hair did not like the Curl Fix (the only thing I've ever tried from CJ that my hair hated).

I used it once before but decided to try it again to make sure but ended up with the exact same results. I shampood then applied the Curl Fix and left it on covered with a plastic cap for an hour both times.

It was rough, dry, very tangled..felt like a brillo pad. I was surprised since my hair likes and needs protein.

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!

Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy
Hmm, thanks for sharing. You said your hair loves protein - what PT do you usually use? Just curious!

Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

Did you follow it with moisture? Generally speaking, PTs can push moisture out so you have to add it back in afterward. Lots of people on here do 1 hour each protein then moisture.

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...5&postcount=59

my hair liked the curl fix better. i also had to use a moisturizing treatment after the SS.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
Originally Posted by wavysue
I'm another one that is very sensitive to scents. I always appreciate when someone describes the fragrance to me, because anything floral KILLS me. I get wicked pains in my head as soon as I take a sniff; I would never put it on my head. For that reason, I have never gone anywhere near the CJ PT. I loved the new CJ products (ie Daily Fix & Smoothing Conditioner), so I wish she had either given an option for the Protein Fix or stayed away from floral ... but it isn't all about me !!! LOL

I do like the SS PT. She has gone away from the Caramel Latte fragrances. I think she was having trouble getting that fragrance consistent, so she discontinued it. I do like all her fragrances. They are mild and I don't find they linger.

I also like the Shescentit Green Tea & Hisbiscus conditioner. I've also used it as a PT with my heat cap. It worked great.

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone
Ooh a heat cap? I didn't know such things were available. What brand is it/where did you buy it?

Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
I've used both and prefer the CF followed by CR. I've thought about trying the RPT followed by CR instead of the SS DD because I'm not a big fan of the DD. I don't find that nearly as moisturizing as the CR!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Originally Posted by thick_n_wavy
I use the Aphogee 2-Step Protein Treatment.

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!