Beautiful Curls line by Alaffia

Anyone try these products: Beautiful Curls? I just bought the curl-activating leave-in and cream when I was shopping for something else entirely at Whole Foods. The ingredients look great. I searched out a thread for this on the 4s board, but just curious for more feedback. If I like these, I'll head back for the conditioner and whatever else they have on sale...
I've been browsing the web and happened to find their site. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find many reviews on their products though. I've seen a few people commenting on how much they like their shampoo but that's all I've found so far. I am such a product junkie and want to just order their whole curl activator system but I'm trying to resist the temptation. Let us know how the leave-in and cream work.
I posted this in the 4a section as well

Before I begin my review keep in mind that everyone’s hair is different and has its own personality. My hair is low porosity, super thick and coarse.
-Beautiful curls leave-in conditioner is a decent leave in. The scent for this entire product line is a roasted nutty scent mixed with raspberry. The leave-in is a creamy texture it does penetrate your hair immediately only if your hair is wet. I wouldn’t use this on dry hair I think it would just sit on the hair. My hair has a nice gloss to it with this leave-in but if I ran out of it I seriously doubt I would repurchase, since there are other products that I use that are better. If you have the chance and money to splurge you should purchase it.
-Beautiful Curls deep conditioner- This has a thick texture. The texture is like Cetaphil, if you turn the jar upside down nothing will fall out. This has zero moisture. It did nothing for my hair. It tangled my hair. It left me wondering, what kind of deep conditioner is this? Save your money and purchase Curl Junkie Rehab.
- Beautiful Curls Shea butter Curl activating conditioner has a mayo texture mixed with a small amount of water. It felt like I was putting sun block on my hair. It felt waxy. My intentions were to use this by itself with no leave in conditioner but my hair felt strange. It does bring out your texture but it is not moisturizing I will stick to Botticelli Flax seed gelee.
-Beautiful Curls sculpting wax- This is just unrefined shea butter mixed with some oils it is far from a sculpting wax. There is no need to further explain this one I will stick to hair butter and pomades.

If you want to try these products without wasting your money I would suggest to by the leave-in. In two separate bowls pour some of the leave in. In one bowl add some Aloe Vera and agave nectar and Voila you have the curl activating cream. In the other bowl add Aloe Vera gel and you have the deep conditioner. These products have the same ingredients except for one or two ingredients here and there. I did not notice that before.
There are a couple of reviews here:

iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
Thanks for the replies. I actually have been really enjoying the two items I have. I've just been washing & rinsing out Nature's Gate Hemp or Yes to Cukes, then using a small amount of the LI (a little less than a quarter for all of my hair), and then distributing a smaller amount of the the cream all on wet hair. I tried it with no styler over, but it couldn't handle the humidity here. My hair was actually not too bad, though. The past two days I applied Sally's Generic Potion 9 over it, and my hair is happier than it's been in a long time. I just hennaed Saturday, and these really moisturized very well immediately after (usually I'm very dry following henna). And these will last me quite awhile. If I get back to Whole Foods, I think I will try the regular conditioner as well, assuming it's still the large size for $9.99...
OK, today I tried all the products except the deep conditioner (no time). I used the Curl Activating line (for Curly-Kinky hair) with the green writing.

The shampoo was nice, but it left me tangled, which all shampoos do. I like that it got a nice low lather going, smelled nice (I can't place the sweet/floral/herbal scent), and did not strip my hair even though I did not do my usual pre-poo this morning. I am not sure if I will repurchase, since I already have their Everyday Shea shampoo, and this one didn't rock my world to make me forget about it. I will have to compare them a couple of times and/or see how it compares to other 'poos I have already.

I used Yes to Cucumbers to detangle in the shower.

I got out of the shower and used the leave-in (same scent and it lingers but is not unpleasant). This I will repurchase. It was not as thick as I expected (thicker than KCKT just for comparison) and distributed easily and I was happy that this step did not require additonal finger detangling. I provided a decent amount of moisture. I let it sit in my hair while I was lotioning, etc. At this point my hair was starting to dry but without that frizz and shrinking that my hair does without a styler. I thought that was cool.

I used the Curl Activating Cream next. It was a little runny, but made it easy to distribute. I could really see it set some of the curls that by this point were beginning to frizz. It does not clump, but that is not a care of mine. It has so far kept the curls defined and added a shot of moisture. That is my biggest thing - OK moisture and no crunch. I would say I am about halfway dry (it's been about 90 min) and mo crunch has developed and I still have the hold and movement (yes, I shake my fro all the time lol). I aid my edges down with their sculpting wax.

I liked the products. I think this is a good line that can be purchased on the ground (if you are near a Whole Foods) and will give me reliable results. That is my overwhelming thought. This is GOOD. Not magic, but very good (but I am not looking for magic - not interested in trasnforming or loosening my curls). It works with what is there, reasonably priced, smells good, the proceeds go to a good cause.

My only thing is that I will have to use a gel over the top if I am going for more than 2nd-day hair. Tomorrow I will use the Curl Tonic (I have used before and liked), some AVG, puff and go, but after that I think I will co-wash and start anew.

ETA: I would like to try the Curl Enhancing Gel (they market it for wavy-curly hair but mention in the brochure that it is good for twists and styles like that) and the line for kids because they have neem oil in them - my scalp would like that.
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
I agree, sagehen, what I've tried is very good-not the end all, be all, but really nice. I want to try the gel, too, but I guess none of the WF stores are carrying the other products as of yet. I used flaxseed gel over the LI and the curl cream, and it was a great combo for me. This is the first shea product that has worked for me in quite some time, and definitely a plus that it's on the ground.
Does anyone have a complete list of ingredients? Do these products detangle at all? Thanks
I just bought the curl cream the other day on a whim while at Whole Foods. I've had two days in a row since of absolutely PERFECT hair. Seriously. For some reason, my hair loves this stuff. I did use a little gel over it (not much, though) and even though I've been playing/twirling my curls all day, I have little to no frizz. Nice shine, excellent definition. I'd like to try the curl refresher too!
3a/and that one odd straight hair! Medium iii. Low porosity. Likes protein once in a blue moon, but only followed by moisture. Hates glycerin.

Would love to find something to encourage curls out of this dry, damaged MESS!
Originally Posted by abstractcurls
The ingredients for the curly-kinky line are in a thread in the 4a section. The link is posted a couple of entries above yours. I believe the ingredient listing is on the first page.
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
This was an impulse buy for me.

I purchased the Shea Butter Curl Reviving Tonic (spray bottle) and the Curl Nurturing Leave-in Detangler

I can't say I love them. But I do really like it. I was in a play and between the first act in pig tails and the second act in a wig, I needed to wet my hair to look decent afterwards. The spray really did the trick.

The leave in absolutely needs to be put on wet hair. It is pretty heavy which is good if you have really frizzy knotty ends like me! But it does build up and doesn't seem to soak in as well as other products I have used. But I have not used it at home when my hair is dripping wet out of the shower. I kept them in the dressing room and used them there to reform my hair after the play.

The heaviness works well when I want a ponytail.

It doesn't make my ends stick together like the Kinky-Curly spray. I think the Reviving Tonic (spray) is a good product for second day hair. And of course being all natural is a plus.
4a/b/c
Poo- Deva, Wen, Shea Moisture
Co- Aubrey Organic, GPD DevaOne.
Detangler- Aussie moist, Dove
LI- SM Curling Milk, infusium
KCCC KT on certain days
Oil- Coconut, jojoba,
Goal: Peace, healthy hair and to not spend alot of time and money on my hair.
I was just in a health food store and they were having a sale of Beautiful Curls products. On a whim, I bought the Shea Butter Curl Defining Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair, thinking it might be similar to KCCC. I was excited because I've been trying to find a gel without PVP.

I've just opened it and it seems really runny, like the consistency of a conditioner. I went through the ingredients again, and everything is wonderfully natural, but I don't see anything that seems like it would offer hold. I'm guessing that this probably won't offer me enough hold, but I'm hoping that I can use it as a deep treatment or conditioner instead if need be.

Can anyone explain which of these ingredients, if any, make this a gel as opposed to a conditioner?

Ingredients:
Chamomile extract, Yarrow extract, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera gel, Agave Nectar, Pathenol, Coconut Oil, Apricot Fruit and Ylang Ylang Flower extracts, Potassium sorbate, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid
waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
I went to Whole Foods today to find some new products since the Jessicurl ones I've been using don't seem to be working for me. I bought the Alaffia Shea and Honey Shampoo, the BC Shea Butter Curl Activating Cream for Curly to Kinky Hair (either my WF doesn't have the curl activating cream for wavy to curly hair or I missed it due to being so overwhelmed at all the CG choices) and the Shea Butter Sculpturing Wax. I didn't realize until I started reading the forum tonight that they were made by the same company. I didn't get the LI because it contains magnesium sulfate and I think that's what my hair doesn't like about JC. I got a bottle of KCKT instead since I've been interested in that line. I've only used the wax so far and I like it. It gave me some shine, which I was looking for, and tamed some, but not all, of my frizz. We'll see how they work tomorrow!

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010

Ingredients:
Originally Posted by Sbudsky
I have the Curl Activating Cream and was just in Whole Foods looking to buy the Defining Gel. I compared the ingredients of the two (I don't have the cream ingredients in front of me at the moment) and realized they are almost exactly the same! The extracts are different - extracts in the same place on both ingredient lists but different ones. The gel and the cream look almost identical. I think the "Defining Gel" is just a thinner version of the cream.

To answer your original question... I assume that the Guar and Xanthan Gums are supposed to be the ingredients that provide hold, but they don't provide much in the cream and I'm doubtful the gel would have more. I think both the gel and cream may need a harder holding gel on top.
3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
Low Poos:
MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.
So I saw this product in the store as well. I am a 4a/b texture and what i find is that while many products can provide great curl definition for me, elongation/shrinkage becomes the issue. I've found in that past that creams are heavier and add more weight to the hair thus providing more elongation. Can anyone speak to this?
"We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
Originally Posted by h2wQueen
I'm a 4A and I bought it the other night on a whim. I saw in my supermarket (not WF) and got trigger happy b/c I can't get many products on the ground and I'd never heard of it.

So I used it last night and by the end of today, my hair was frizz city. It was soft, but it didn't hold up with the humidity. Keep in mind, my hair really likes gels and doesn't hold up with cremes. I had no issues with the texture of it and it went on easy b/c of the BTMS. I just really need a gel. I know this, but again...it was an impulse buy! Its not a bad product, but not for me. I'm fine, dense, and highly porous...curl circumference bic pen and pencil size. HTH!
The Curl Activating Cream is really not heavy enough to weigh my 3c/4a hair down. In fact When I use the line together I just get really defined spirals and I would say no more shrinkage than with other products but definitely no less.
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
The refreshing spray works like a dream! (At least on hair that had KCCC in it the day before...I can only ever get second day hair with KCCC)

I have never been able to use magnesium sulfate before, but now I get the bounce effect without the dryness. The shea butter and coconut oil seem to combat the dryness, but they do not sit around and look greasy or weigh down my fine hair. When I use straight oils/butters or other products that have them high up on the ingredients, I have had problems. Shea butter pomade just leaves me a greasy frizzy hot mess.
Botticelli Fii,porous
Love:protein,jojoba Hate:Garnier
Experiment:homemade refreshing spray
Goal:Below APL curly. Now near BSL, below shoulders curly
Mod CG since 7/22/09
I was in MD for my best friends wedding and I've been having crappy hair days... so I decided to use the leave in (I got the baby one b/c it was the only only Whole Foods had). I really like it. I used Shea Moisture raw shea butter shampoo and condish. Used the Beautiful Curls baby leave in applied flax gel mixed with fairy tales curly q gel. Then I used the Shea Moisture curl styling milk to SOTC. My hair was awesome. I used the leave in with a different combo and my hair was still good. I like the very light smell too. I want to try more of the products.
I just picked up the curl defining gel (for wavy to curly hair). This Whole Foods had the complete line. I thought the price point was very good. I used a bit of the Tonic at the store and it seemed like it might work well. I have been looking for a new shampoo so I might pick that up at some point too. I will try the gel in a.m. and report back in.

Also here is the website: