-   -   Sorry to say, but I didn't like Design Essentials Natural AT ALL! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/114445-sorry-say-but-i-didnt-like-design-essentials-natural-all.html)

NewlyNaturalCoach 10-04-2010 12:01 AM

Sorry to say, but I didn't like Design Essentials Natural AT ALL!

Well...here's my honest review on the new natural hair line from Designs Essential. I tried it the other day for the first time with hopes of loving it (this was while I was waiting for my now FAV, Kinky Curly Curling Cream and Knot Today!)...and I must be honest...hated it!

Here's why: On clean hair, following the instructions to the tee....I applied the DE Defining Creme Gel...it felt like I was putting lotion on my hair that never absorbed. I washed it out and tried the stretching cream...same results. I have it back in the box and returning tomorrow. So final score...O. Only because it didn't define curls and felt more like Jergen's lotion on my hair. Sorry...no go.

sassywillow 10-05-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by NewlyNaturalCoach (Post 1487386)

Did you try the deep conditioner and milk leave-in?

periwrinkle 10-07-2010 07:31 AM

I'm with the previous poster. Did you use their conditioner and hair lotion? Sometimes products work best as a "system". On the style guides, it suggests that you add their moisturizing hair lotion before applying their style products. Maybe that's where you went wrong, because those two are just stylers. Anytime I use a styler like those, I always add some type of leave in conditioner because most stylers like those are not moisturizing enough alone.

I just ordered these products on Monday, but haven't received them yet. I was having high hopes for them also, but we shall see. :dontknow:

sassywillow 10-07-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by periwrinkle (Post 1490362)

please post reviews as I've got my eye on the conditioner and leave-in. thanks

periwrinkle 10-07-2010 11:26 AM

UPS just dropped off my package. I will let you know how it goes. :icon_smile:

periwrinkle 10-13-2010 07:13 AM

@sassywillow I'm sorry for the delay. I forgot to post my experiences on this thread. I did post my results on the DE Natural and October Hits and Misses thread on the 4a forum. I'm going to have to agree with the OP, this whole line left me with dry hair with the exception of the curl stretching cream which left me with semi moisturized hair. I know you was specifically interested in the conditioner and leave in, but they didn't moisturize my hair at all and that says alot because my hair is rarely dry unless I'm doing a henna treatment. I tried the products twice, so I think I gave them a fair chance before writing them off. I can say they did give pretty good definition, though, but not worth the dry feeling I was getting. I'm going to put them on the swap board if you are interested. HTH.

sassywillow 10-13-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by periwrinkle (Post 1495916)

Thanks for the update. That's too bad that the condish didn't work...such great ingredients too. thanks for saving me some money!!

TiaTreB 10-19-2010 09:43 PM

Design Essentials Natural

I had the same outcome with the DE Natural products. I tried the entire system twice and my hair felt dry after use. I also don't like the smell of the products. When my hair was fully relaxed (transitioning now) I always used DE products, so I am disappointed with the Natural line.

Naturalfinally 11-06-2010 08:09 PM

I love this website. I was going to purchase the Design Essentials but I wanted to see if anyone else had tried it yet and if so, what they thought of the products. I trust you ladies so I will not be purchasing this although the pics look great I won't sacrifice soft, moisturized hair. Thanks for the review. :sad:

ToyaBGLU 03-29-2011 05:01 PM

Guinea Pig

Hi Ladies,

I recently served as a guinea pig for a stylist who got the Defining Cream Gel into his salon. After sitting under the dryer, it gave me "ribbon curls" like they said but it was really crunchy. He put it in pretty thick just like it instructed in the picture but it was waaaaay too much. I went home, rinsed about half of it out and then mixed in my Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. SO much better! I really like it. I think the trick is to use more moisture than gel. He put enough in my hair to last me a week! I am curious to use the stretching cream as I am always complaining about shrinkage. I imagine if the shrinking cream doesn't have hold and has a good amount of moisture, it may work well with a little bit of the cream gel.

luvmylocs 05-20-2011 04:03 PM

hmm, sounds like the creme gel isn't that moisturizing. oh well. i have and like the stretch cream for 2 strand twists but i'm looking for a gel for wash and gos.

sunshyne.cra 05-19-2013 03:18 AM

notes from a stylist

I am an avid user of design essentials products and was sceptical of the natural line at first....... but what everyone must understand is that gel is gel and gel and gel don't moisturize ur hair. so i would use a moisture with the gel. u will get a better outcome. but unfortunately natural hair has a mind of its own so good luck searching for that special product

lashon20 05-19-2013 04:25 PM

I haven't tried their gel but their moisturizer is crap. I have no interest in trying anything else from this line.
Sent from my Event using CurlTalk App