CJ Curl Queen Gel

did you use it with or without a leave in?
Originally Posted by rbb
No leave-in! I rarely use them.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
your hair looks great!
i may try cq again this winter without a leave in. i've been using aloe fix without a leave in and love it. i think cj products are sooo moisturizing they stand alone!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
your hair looks great!
Originally Posted by rbb
ITA!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Facebook|Twitter
Thank you so much, Ladies!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
I read through a lot of this thread last night and I used CQ for the 1st time this morning. Many recommended that you start out by using CQ on it's own to see how your hair takes to it.

I used CQ this morning in the shower on soaking wet hair. I applied it in the exact same manner that I use CIAB. I applied 2 quarter size puddles to each side or my head and a smaller puddle for the back of my head. I raked it through, and the scrunched it up and in.

I let my hair air-dry and my hair is soft, no crunch at all, where as I do get some crunch with CIAB. But with CQ, my hair is very droopy and has not much clumping or curl pattern, my hair is even a little frizzy. I am not happy at all with CQ alone.

I will experiment with it some more, I'll try it as a mix with CIAB, or I have ordered the Aloe Fix Lite and have not tried that yet....will that help with curl enhancing and hold if I use it with CQ?

I think that I find CIAB to work as an enhancer and a gel....CQ really seemed to not do much.

I'm open to suggestions, do you have any?

I'm open to suggestions, do you have any?
Originally Posted by mnekaw3
Sounds like the humectants and the cone in CIAB really help your frizz and curl issues. CQ alone IMO really depends on how heavy your RO is b/c you need a decent moisture base on your hair. I also find that you have to be a little more generous with this product as it's not as grabby as CIAB.

Play with it with a LI.. or top it off as you planned. If it doesnt work, it'll fly off the swap board.

Facebook|Twitter
on this rainy day in Florida, all I have to say is yay for Curl Queen.
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha, botanical spirits magic curls puree
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats

Last edited by frxncrls; 10-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
I finally got Curl Queen to work for me! And it is on its way to becoming an HG product to boot!

My gel of choice is typically SS FHG, which I use over a curl cream (typically CJ CCCC lite) or over a leave-in + curl enhancer (like SS CEJ). In the summer, however, FHG isn't enough hold for me. BRHG supplies more hold, but can leave my hair feeling producty, especially on day 2.

Enter Curl Queen: used over a curl cream, hair feels soft to the touch (like with FHG), with nice clumping (as with other high-protein gels) and very good hold (on account of the PVP), but without feeling producty (like BRHG does).

When I first tried Curl Queen, I applied it like I do BRHG, CIAB, or FHG: 1-2 quarter-size amounts. The result: not enough hold.

This summer (prime time for high protein products on account of the high humidity), when I decided to try again, I re-read the CQ bottle which advised applying generously. I used more product and had much better results. At first, I still paired it with an extra product on top (either BRHG, Curl Kinks Coil Jam, or CJ aloe fix) to boost the hold, but hair was producty and either flat (with coil jam) or curls were elongated rather than clumped (with aloe fix).

Then I tried adding even more CQ on top of my curl cream, with no additional products on top. It worked like a charm! Curls are clumped with good hold, nice volume, and little to no frizz even in high dews. After pineappling, second day hair was fabulous. Third day hair was not as nice, but still passable.

I doubt I'll be able to use CQ in low dews, but for high dews it's a godsend.
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
why don't you think you could use it in low dews? it doesn't have any glycerin, so it should work.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
CQ is one of my favorite gels to use in the winter time! Don't be afraid to use it then too!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Originally Posted by asianrunner
@asianrunner & rbb: I worry about getting the right protein-moisture balance in low dews. If I use too much protein, my hair gets dry and stringy. I don't worry about it at all in high dews because there's so much moisture in the air.

Previously, my high-protein gel of choice (Abba) was great in the summer yet gave me frizz in the winter. But, upon reflection, maybe that was because of the glycerin in it rather than the protein; I'm very glycerin-sensitive and can't use glycerin in low dews at all without getting frizz (unless glycerin is low on the ingredient list).

So I'll definitely give CQ a try this winter; thanks, ladies!
Originally Posted by asianrunner

So I'll definitely give CQ a try this winter; thanks, ladies!
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
CQ was my low dew boo until Pattern Pusha rocked my world. I still have some here and IA that the less stuff you use with it, the better it performs.

Originally Posted by Naturalista
I love the way Pattern Pusha feels in my hair, but it's not curl enhancing at all, so it leaves my 2B/3A hair very flat. I find that my hair looks best when I get curl-enhancing properties from both my curl cream/leave-in and my gel (unless I intentionally straighten it). Also, PP doesn't seem to have enough hold for me (although I haven't tried using substantially more product like I have with CQ).