Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #21

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

I use very little of the CQ, too. Haven't experienced any crunch and have used it 3 times--always with a product underneath (Rehab, new Smoothing Lotion and Marie Dean Yogurt Smoothie.) Really good hair all three times.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #22

sondela's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010

3 quarters worth is about what I need of most other gels in order to get it really distributed, so that's how I tried the CQ first. But this last experiment was much more of a success! Seems like with CQ less is more for me. 1 quarter sized blob and the crunch was super easy to scrunch out. Nice curls, too!
2c/3a, A range of fine to coarse texture (mostly medium, sprinkling of coarse and fine), medium density, low-medium porosity.

About 5% of my hair is randomly fine 4a!

My hair seems to love protein, I use Nexxus Emergencee weekly.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Low-poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop-C
Rinse out: Jasmine's Shea
Leave in: KCKT
Styling: Playing with: KCCC, Re:Coil, SS CEJ, CJ CCCC-lite, CIAB, homemade FSG

Very new, pretty lost, but having fun!
sondela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #23

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs View Post
Mir, I've used a clear laminate (I think it was Sebastian's, too) before but its been a while. You have it done, right? Not do it yourself? When you say glaze, you mean a celophane laminate? If it gives you that kind of shine, I think I may do one again!
I've been using CIAB and I like it but it doesn't give me shine like that
Is the SS CEJ only available online? I thought it was available at Whole Foods, but is that only certain ones?
Yes, Sebastian cellophane laminate--I have it done in a salon. I do the BRUNETTE (deep). But I've had clear done mostly in the past over color.

SS CEJ is available at Etsy direct from runnerchicki and from CurlMart. I think those are the only places.

I stocked up during a coupon thing when it was available at CurlMart. except they were out of the deeply decadent.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #24

MirCurls -

My Curl Junkie package (w/ Curl Queen inside!) is due to arrive on Monday. Is there a way you can call UPS and manipulate/bribe/coerce them into getting it here sooner? Um, maybe today. Only joking, but I am getting antsy.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #25

MirCurls -

Aw, poor thing. Ya gotta wait sooo long. ; )

Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #26

Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post
MirCurls -

Aw, poor thing. Ya gotta wait sooo long. ; )
Hey, I've been waiting since last Friday. That's a long wait in "curl time."
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #27

Naturalista's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

I just washed my hands clean of the AFL room because my hair acted like it was Armageddon and showed me it was boss. The boss despised AFL...

but it loves Curl Queen. ALONE. It wants to be nekkid under its clothes with CQ. The kicker is, its so good at what it does that you can see exactly how I'm going through texture battles with my highlights growing out. LOLOL!!!

Pics!!
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Curl Queen Gel-sam_0332.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-sam_0322.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-sam_0321.jpg
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #28

Join Date: Nov 2009

My hair never loved AFL. I was tempted to try it again--but not that tempted. I may just give my bottle away to curly-niece.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #29

Naturalista's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post
I'm grateful to my sample angel, but also grateful it was just a sample. Still haven't mastered not getting crunchy! Still have a few spots... Grr...

maybe I should do a final water down to distribute better?
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #30

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

According to the UPS website my new CJ stuff (Curl Queen and AF lite) are due on Monday as well! We'll have to wait in agony together.

cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

BLB's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010

Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post

MirCurls -

I just ordered mine and the wait is going to kill me!! I got Daily Fix and Curl Queen. I am also about to get protein and DT samples from Kathymack. It's a big day for me guys- my life finally feels complete and whole. Hahahah, kidding (kind of). I had to wait over a week to order because of my stupid pay schedule!! Let's all report back how we like our CQ when we finally have a chance to use it.
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
BLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #32

Join Date: Oct 2008

I just received my samples!!!
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #33

Originally Posted by BLB View Post
Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post

MirCurls -

I'm supposed to get my package late Monday afternoon. That's good b/c Tuesday is supposed to be seriously humid and rainy in my city and it's the perfect opportunity to see how Curl Queen will work in those conditions. I will keep you posted....
Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #34

Chelley Mae's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to Chelley Mae

maybe i will give this stuff one more try with nothing under it and less of it.
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Chelley Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #35

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

For people who've tried both the CJ curl queen gel, and the SS CEJ, how do they compare?

I really like the SS CEJ in high dews over a curl cream (like CJ CCCC), and was wondering if the CJ curl queen is a similar product? Both are glycerin-free yet contain a lot of aloe, some panthenol, and a little protein (either wheat or silk), though CEJ contains algae and agave whereas curl queen contains PVP (so it might have more hold):

CJ Curl Queen Ingredients: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydroethylcellulose, Corn Starch Modified, Polyquaternium-4, Panthenol, PVP, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

SS CEJ Ingredients: aloe vera juice, sea algae extract, hydroxyethylcellulose, organic raw agave nectar, dehydroxanthan gum, panthenol, silk amino acids, dead sea salts, phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol (and) sorbic acid, fragrance, citric acid
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #36

rymorg2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006

They act totally different in my hair.

The CEJ is enhancing on its own and I can use it totally alone. CQ isn't enhancing on me at all but will add much more hold for me. I haven't tried CCCC with CEJ though I may have to give that a whirl. Just from how you say you use CEJ with CCCC I bet the CQ would work for you that way as well. I'm just looking to pare down my routine to get less dry time and better results and I'm finding that less product or the use of a do it all product does better for me. HTH....

Originally Posted by melaniesusan View Post

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
rymorg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #37

Join Date: Nov 2009

As Rymorg said: SS CEJ is not as sticky (well, it's not a holding gel, per se, don't think) and is more of a definer/enhancer. CurlQueen is stickier and is a medium to med-firm hold (I guess depending on how much you use).

I have used the SS CEJ UNDERNEATH the CurlQueen (as I have now, but I'm gonna wash and think I'm gonna use BB FSG today as I'm going to a party and wanna smell a certain way, hah).

I use one for enhancement and the other for final stage hold.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #38

Chelley Mae's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to Chelley Mae

So today I'm tryin just the CURL QUEEN gel on its own, much less than I have been using, to see if anything magical happens. It's not dry yet but so far its not lookin good.....limp and not very curly at all.
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Last edited by Chelley Mae; 10-16-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: FIX
Chelley Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #39

DEL2C's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by Chelley Mae View Post
I can't imagine fine hair like yours without LI this time of year? What is your weather like? It's been said that CQ is not enhancing it's the hold that makes it great. What do you typically do to your hair? Do you do LI/Curl Enhancer or curl cream/+Gel or LI/+Gel? When you use CClite or KCP do you normallly put a gel on top of it? I would try your Jasmines Shea as a LI then CQ or KCP with CQ.

Sometimes it's good to back off experimenting & give yourself a break too
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Last edited by DEL2C; 10-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.
DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #40

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

Thanks for the tips! I'll order a sample of CJ Curl Queen from Kathymack and see how it goes.

I loved SS CEJ on top of CJ CCCC in the summer (tried this based on KM's curl creme + gelly recommendation), but I always had to top with a bit of Curls Gel-les'C because the CEJ wasn't quite enough hold (compared to BRHG) and always left me with some flyways.

I like the curl/hold I get with CCCC lite + BRHG, and the curl/feel I get with CCCC lite + SS CEJ...maybe the CCCC lite + CJ CQ combo will give me curl/feel/hold.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen