CJ Curl Queen Gel

I use very little of the CQ, too. Haven't experienced any crunch and have used it 3 times--always with a product underneath (Rehab, new Smoothing Lotion and Marie Dean Yogurt Smoothie.) Really good hair all three times.
Originally Posted by kathymack
I tried the yogurt smoothie with CQ on top today. So far, I have really nice wurls! I only used the tiniest bit of the smoothie underneath and I actually wish I had used just a little bit more! The CQ seemed to make my hair voluminous and shiny! I can't wait to try it over some other curl enhancers as well!
Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
Henna glosses!
I did try it with a LI and with 2 curl creams (CCCC Lite and KCP) and those were even worse results than today. My hair just doesn't like the CQ Gel. Off to the swap board I go....
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

My Curl Queen came today, but I can't try it until tomorrow morning. I can say right now that I love how it smells and the consistency seems really easy to work with. The consistency of Curl Queen reminds me a lot of Biolage Gelee, for all of you who are familiar with that product.

I think I'll start out small - use a dime size of Curl Queen over a small amount of BeautiCurls Leave-In. I'm pretty confident that I chose the right gel from CJ b/c I think Aloe Fix Lite would weigh me down terrribly. I probably won't even try that. But I can't wait to try Curl Queen tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by Fairewood
Good luck!!! Please let us know how you like it. Mine should be arriving by the end of the week and obviously I am so excited/eager. I am such a loser, I can't stop thinking about my new products! I also got CJDF and a sample of the CCC Lite to see if I can switch that up w/ re:coil (I would love to start rotating products if at all possible). I am going to do the same as you, start with a tiny amount and see how it goes. I am going to use a tiny bit of LI, some re:coil, and then scrunch with a bit of CQ.
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
I have used the SS CEJ UNDERNEATH the CurlQueen (as I have now, but I'm gonna wash and think I'm gonna use BB FSG today as I'm going to a party and wanna smell a certain way, hah).

I use one for enhancement and the other for final stage hold.
Originally Posted by MirCurls
Good to know! That's my plan when my CQ gets here later this week. What do you use as a LI under the SS CEJ? I love the enhancement I get from CEJ, but I also get frizz. I'm also getting a bottle of the Strengthening Conditioner. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)

mod CG since August 2010
Sooo...I got my products today. **Disclaimer** I basically DC'ed all day with clay, honey, baking soda, JBCO, and condish b/c I was waiting alllll day for the stupid UPS man. My hair came out ridiculous - loosened my curl a bit b/c of the moisture/weight (but that's okay because it will tighten up with a couple of washes), but my hair is soft and falls flatter to my head, ie, easier to detangle thank goodness!

So anywho...I used the Smoothing Lotion with the Curl Queen. A couple of points:

- I usually only like dessert smells, but I LOVE this one! It smells like CK One to me, which is the perfume I used to use when I was a kid and was the first "high end" perfume I ever got as a gift. I used to LOVE THAT STUFF like nobody's business, so I think it's awesome that this gel reminds me of it. Usually I enjoy smelling edible and cute...but right now I smell sexy...I feel like going out on the prowl rraaaarrr....

- The texture is very unique (at least to me); thick enough where I feel like it's saturating my hair and I don't go overboard (with CIAB I was SLATHERING it on my hair b/c it's so light for me), but light enough where my hair does not feel weighed down like I have a jheri curl.

I used probably a dime (sometimes a nickel, I'm getting used to using less product b/c I section now, but it still squirts out sometimes!) amount on each section, and shook my hair out. The same thing happened that happens with a lot of CJ products for me...my hair gets a little foamy for a second and takes a few minutes to settle in and calm down. Even though I used both products, my hair feels very soft and doesn't seem like it's going to crunch up at all.

I'm going to run some errands in this dank a$$ LA cool/drizzly weather (temp 65, dew 60, humidity 85), and shall report back. And, I'm walking. So we'll really see if my hair goes crazy lol...
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by ellepixie; 10-18-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Typo
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ellepixie
-but right now I smell sexy...I feel like going out on the prowl rraaaarrr....
I'm just laughing right now, you are hilarious!!

back on topic I'm all tapped out for a while but I plan on trying this gel at some point...........
2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
@wavysue LOL thanks, I was just moved by the smell and I hate it when UPS messes with my hair!

UPDATE: So far, I reeeeeeallllly like this gel, will need to test some other combos to call it love, but my hair was GREAT today. And I can pretty much guarantee I won't be getting second day hair with this because I had MAYJAH HIH syndrome!
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Curl Queen Gel-18octcurljunkiesmall.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-18octcurljunkie2small.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-18octcurljunkie3small.jpg
YouTube

I tried Curl Queen this morning and really liked it, but as ellepixie said, I have to experiment with it before I can say I love it. I used a dime-size amount of CQ over a dime-size amount of BeautiCurls Leave-In. At first I was worried b/c my hair looked a bit droppy and limp, but once it was completely dry my curls came into formation and I got decent root curl. My hair is really soft and has a good shine to it, not at all a greasy kind of shine. There's hardly any frizz at all! My only concern is that the right side of my hair is still kind of droopy and undefined, but it may be that I didn't scrunch that section well enough to begin with.

Anyway, I have to play around with CQ before I can give a final thought about it. I have to try to use a little more and use it alone, rather than with a leave-in. All in all, I'd said I'm having a really good hair day today and I'm happy with CQ.

One last thought - My initial impression is that CQ will work really well in the stifling Kentucky heat and humidity, but I'm not sure if I can use it in the dead of winter. It might make my hair too flat. We'll see.....

Oh, one more thing - Yes, CQ is very easy to distribute and I didn't get any "flash dry on contact." CQ reminds me a lot of Biolage Gelee, but doesn't weigh my down like BG can.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Last edited by Fairewood; 10-19-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Today I used this with no leave in (but I did use the CJ Strengthening condish as well today for first time). I put it on very wet hair (while still in the shower). Once i got out of the shower I scrunched out extra water and then I used curlease knockoff towel to get out more water and do some scrunching as well. I put probably a pea sized amount of BRHG/SS CEJ combined in my hand over the CQ gel. Then I diffused. I had used the CQ gel before but I think I used a leave in under it. I have curls up to the top of my head! And nice volume too.

I have no idea if its the CQ with BRHG/SS CEJ combo over or the CJ Strengthening condish that is making this happen. Amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Curl Queen Gel-p1010350.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-p1010357.jpg

Last edited by xcptnl; 10-19-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Originally Posted by xcptnl
So good to hear! My package of CQ and the strengthening conditioner should be here tomorrow and I love the SS CEJ and BRHG. I'll follow your plan and see how it goes!

Looks absolutely lovely!
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Originally Posted by ellepixie
Woo hoo!! Afterwhile, I may have to start calling you my hair twin. LOLOL!!!!!

Makes me wonder if CQ alone would do it for you like it does for me.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Originally Posted by ellepixie
Woo hoo!! Afterwhile, I may have to start calling you my hair twin. LOLOL!!!!!

Makes me wonder if CQ alone would do it for you like it does for me.
Originally Posted by Naturalista
Heehee!

Yea, next I'm going to try it alone - the Smoothing Lotion was really light so I'm not sure if I even need it. We shall see!

Originally Posted by Fairewood
Well, it's 2 pm and I have to change my tune about Curl Queen. My hair has gotten progressively drier, droopier and limper as the day has gone on. It now looks really weird. It's flat on top and on the sides and is frizzy and undefined at the bottom. I'll try Curl Queen a few times without a leave-in, as is recommended. If that doesn't work, then I'll save it for spring and summer. If that doesn't work, then I'm sending Curl Queen to the guillotine.

EDIT: To be fair, I think the problem may be with the BeautiCurls Leave-In. Maybe that's just not a good match with Curl Queen. I'll try Curl Queen without BeautiCurls Leave-In and see what happens.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Last edited by Fairewood; 10-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Fairewood - the same exact thing happened to me with the CQ Gel, all 3 times, with a LI, with a curl cream, and by itself.
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Whereas for me, the BCLI/CQ combination is the only thing that isn't resulting in insane frizz at these low dews. It's interesting how reactions to the same products vary so widely!
2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing

Last edited by Saroyan; 10-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
My hair has not changed from the pics I took earlier today. Nice curl-even up to the top!! But it could be due to the BRHG/SS CEJ topper that I used. A little less volume than when I took the pics but that is very typical of my hair.

My package came today. I can't wait to try it along with the Strengthening Conditioner in the morning!