CJ Curl Queen Gel

Used the CQ alone yesterday...but got scared that my hair would dry crunchykins, so I smoothed some SL on top, I chickened out! But, the SL absorbed quickly! I just like this gel. I love gels that give me fat moisturized curls (ie, doesn't weigh my hair down so much where I'm getting stringy curls until my hair dries) without glycerin. Black Friday, bring it ON! Another bottle is already in my cart.
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Originally Posted by Naturalista
LOL! Jerk! I absolutely am a chicken! But - I used it today with my Donna Marie Buttermilk and my HURRR IS ON POINT! Now I just need someplace to go out tonight so my milkshake can bring all the boys to the yard...where are my leather pants?!

Originally Posted by ellepixie
LOLOL!! Try it one day when you dont have anywhere to go. TRY IT. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ROTFL@ leather pants! You'd burn up!!

Facebook|Twitter
Today I used this with no leave in (but I did use the CJ Strengthening condish as well today for first time). I put it on very wet hair (while still in the shower). Once i got out of the shower I scrunched out extra water and then I used curlease knockoff towel to get out more water and do some scrunching as well. I put probably a pea sized amount of BRHG/SS CEJ combined in my hand over the CQ gel. Then I diffused. I had used the CQ gel before but I think I used a leave in under it. I have curls up to the top of my head! And nice volume too.

I have no idea if its the CQ with BRHG/SS CEJ combo over or the CJ Strengthening condish that is making this happen. Amazing.
Originally Posted by xcptnl

Where do you get curlease knockoff towels??
3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
I have gotten them at Target and Walmart in the kitchen sections. Just look for white towels - I got a 4 pack for under $10. I think they sometimes call them bar towels or flour sack towels.

Originally Posted by xcptnl
Thanks, I'll have a look.
3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
I have to say I'm not impressed with this gel yet! I've tried it twice so far, once as an enhancer w/ BRHG on top and last night as a gel, CCCC+CQ and both times my hair looked awful. No waves and droopy. I'm going to give it a couple more tries using one of my jelly products like Darcy underneath, otherwise it's headed to the swap boards!

gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I'm taking a break from this gel for a week or so, not because it doesn't work beautifully (it does!) but because it seems like the more I use it, the harder it is to SOTC. I'm serious when I say that BRHG has *nothing* on this gel in terms of crunch when it comes to my hair. I've used smaller amounts but it doesn't seem to help much. It's my ends that I have the most trouble with.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Originally Posted by asianrunner
= OC from the sounds of it...

and why are you using CQ as a curl enhancer??

I know folks are saying its plays like a jelly and ITA with them, but it doesnt act like a curl enhancer to me, it acts like a gel. Based on that, I wouldn't think BRHG on top of this would help much. That's like hold on top of more hold. Like X did, maybe adding CEJ or something you know brings your waves out may help.

I saw you on the other AFL thread and looks like its giving you what you need without all the xtra guesswork. It's funny, the more folks say there isn't, it does seem like there's a delineation between AFL and CQ. I can count on one hand who likes them both.

Originally Posted by asianrunner
= OC from the sounds of it...

and why are you using CQ as a curl enhancer??

Originally Posted by Naturalista

Hey I'm on that one hand LOL...but I agree with you, CQ is NOT an enhancer it's for hold, which is why I'm not using it atm. I don't need hold right now but it'll be a definite staple in the summer.

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
Originally Posted by asianrunner

Just wanted to say I agree with Nat, the CQ is for hold not enhancement (which is why I actually like AFL better, but this is a HG for me in summer to replace BRHG which I HATE with a passion)

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
Ok I will try it as just a gel, maybe I'll use Darcy's coiling jelly or Jessicurl RR and see if my hair likes it better!

Originally Posted by asianrunner
Have you tried using Curl Queen alone yet? If you use it as your only styler that would give you a better sense of how CQ will behave on your hair and how it'll play with other products. I tried CQ last week with BeautiCurls Leave-In and the results were horrid, so I'm trying it again tomorrow all by itself to see what the problem may have been. This gel is so light and easy to use that I can't understand why it made my hair flat, undefined and stuck to my head. I'll try it again alone and see what happens. Will report back tomorrow afternoon.........
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
Ok so I scrunched in some Darcy's coiling jelly and then scrunched in some CQ and plopped. Hair is definitely shiny but waves did not hold up as well as I would've liked.

Still on the fence about if I should keep it or not.

gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I tried Curl Queen this morning and really liked it, but as ellepixie said, I have to experiment with it before I can say I love it. I used a dime-size amount of CQ over a dime-size amount of BeautiCurls Leave-In. At first I was worried b/c my hair looked a bit droppy and limp, but once it was completely dry my curls came into formation and I got decent root curl. My hair is really soft and has a good shine to it, not at all a greasy kind of shine. There's hardly any frizz at all! My only concern is that the right side of my hair is still kind of droopy and undefined, but it may be that I didn't scrunch that section well enough to begin with.

Anyway, I have to play around with CQ before I can give a final thought about it. I have to try to use a little more and use it alone, rather than with a leave-in. All in all, I'd said I'm having a really good hair day today and I'm happy with CQ.

One last thought - My initial impression is that CQ will work really well in the stifling Kentucky heat and humidity, but I'm not sure if I can use it in the dead of winter. It might make my hair too flat. We'll see.....

Oh, one more thing - Yes, CQ is very easy to distribute and I didn't get any "flash dry on contact." CQ reminds me a lot of Biolage Gelee, but doesn't weigh my down like BG can.
Originally Posted by Fairewood
Well, it's 2 pm and I have to change my tune about Curl Queen. My hair has gotten progressively drier, droopier and limper as the day has gone on. It now looks really weird. It's flat on top and on the sides and is frizzy and undefined at the bottom. I'll try Curl Queen a few times without a leave-in, as is recommended. If that doesn't work, then I'll save it for spring and summer. If that doesn't work, then I'm sending Curl Queen to the guillotine.

EDIT: To be fair, I think the problem may be with the BeautiCurls Leave-In. Maybe that's just not a good match with Curl Queen. I'll try Curl Queen without BeautiCurls Leave-In and see what happens.
Originally Posted by Fairewood
Okay, I tried CQ for the second time this morning, but I followed Marsha's directions and used it alone without any other styler. So far this morning my hair looks a TRILLION times better than it did when I used CQ with BeautiCurls Leave-In! My hair curls better and is not limp and weird like it was. It has some hold, is soft, shiny and looks the way its supposed to. I think I'll try CQ a couple more times without any other stylers and if I get really good results again then I'll declare it a keeper. I do, however, think that I might need to use a nickel-size amount instead of a dime-size, so I'll play around with that some.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
I'm trying this again today with no leave-in, just the gel and a dab of CIAB on top. Right now it's still pretty wet and I'm letting it air dry for a bit before I decide if I need something else with it. I did this on half of my hair and the other half with the AFL. The CQ definitely feels better going on then the AFL. The other day I tried it with the smoothing lotion underneath and didn't care for the results. We shall see how it turns out.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Still on the fence about if I should keep it or not.
Originally Posted by asianrunner
I'm rusty on the Fia system Asian but I thought you were med-coarse??? We like a lot of the same products and CQueen seems to be fairing better with Fine-Med hair types for "hold" as Marsha suggests. I tried some on 2nd day hair to try and get some hold into it and it was a No Go. On Wet hair I tried it with BRHG & didn't get any enhancement it was kind of stringy for me. But CQ isn't meant to be enhancing anyway.
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

You guys have me worried! I finally received my CQ today and am planning on using it tonight. The reason I bought it was to use a bit to scrunch after applying re:coil because I want just a little extra hold and definition. Now I'm scared it's not going to work! Oh well, nothing to do but try right? I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for all the usage tips!
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
I know my curls are tighter than most of you...but I like the CQ with a LI for sure, by itself I felt my hair getting crunchy. But, I could have also been using too much. I did another review using it the other day, and I was loving my hair so much that I got WAY too dressed up just to go chill with friends because I wanted to be cute!