CJ Curl Queen Gel

Okay, I tried CQ for the second time this morning, but I followed Marsha's directions and used it alone without any other styler. So far this morning my hair looks a TRILLION times better than it did when I used CQ with BeautiCurls Leave-In! My hair curls better and is not limp and weird like it was. It has some hold, is soft, shiny and looks the way its supposed to. I think I'll try CQ a couple more times without any other stylers and if I get really good results again then I'll declare it a keeper. I do, however, think that I might need to use a nickel-size amount instead of a dime-size, so I'll play around with that some.
You guys have me worried! I finally received my CQ today and am planning on using it tonight. The reason I bought it was to use a bit to scrunch after applying re:coil because I want just a little extra hold and definition. Now I'm scared it's not going to work! Oh well, nothing to do but try right? I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for all the usage tips!
Originally Posted by BLB
My advice is to use CQ all by itself at first so you can get a sense of how your hair likes it and what it will do to your hair. From there you can decide if your other stylers might work well with it. For example, people kept telling me to mix CIAB with CCCC-Lite, but I had no idea how CCCC-Lite would behave on my hair b/c I had never tried it before. When I first tried it last week I realized that CCCC-Lite alone was good enough for me and that adding CIAB to the mix would only cause problems. So, personally, I would try Curl Queen alone at first just to see how it behaves on your hair.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
That's a good point. My only fear is that I have not used straight gel on my hair in over 10 years! I always use curl creme and then maybe a touch of something stronger for hold. I think I'll be brave and do it though because I agree about seeing how it acts in my hair without other product first.
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Originally Posted by BLB
You can always do a test. Wash/condition a section of hair in the sink and apply the styler alone then wash the other side and apply stylers the way normally would. Depending on which side you like better, you can proceed with washing your whole head

That would be too complicated for me , but she could give it a go! Good luck!
Well it beats having to gamble on your head at least this way you would have an idea what to expect. I would do it on a night that I wasn't planning to go anywhere just in case. If you're nervous about doing your hair in the morning, it's an option to test it out the night before without doing a full wash.

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Ok so I scrunched in some Darcy's coiling jelly and then scrunched in some CQ and plopped. Hair is definitely shiny but waves did not hold up as well as I would've liked.

Still on the fence about if I should keep it or not.
Originally Posted by asianrunner
I'm rusty on the Fia system Asian but I thought you were med-coarse??? We like a lot of the same products and CQueen seems to be fairing better with Fine-Med hair types for "hold" as Marsha suggests. I tried some on 2nd day hair to try and get some hold into it and it was a No Go. On Wet hair I tried it with BRHG & didn't get any enhancement it was kind of stringy for me. But CQ isn't meant to be enhancing anyway.
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Yup I think I'm med-coarse! I think you have a stronger wave pattern though. Have you found a way to use it consistently?
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Still on the fence about if I should keep it or not.
Originally Posted by asianrunner
I only had a small amt. to play with but No 99.9% certain it's not for my hair type. But if you find a way to make it work then let me know!

Originally Posted by DEL2C
Actually I was commenting on my own ineptness, as in "How many Fairewoods does it take to change a lightbulb?" Washing and styling one side and then washing and styling the other side would be too technically complex for me. Anyway, I hope the Curl Queen test went okay for her last night.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
Well, the truth is I'm just too darn lazy to test different sides (I also only wash once every 4 days). So while it was an excellent suggestion, I did not do this. I was also not brave enough to use just the CQ and I put a little re:coil underneath. Here's my current situation (glances at mirror): my hair is very soft, not too frizzy, but it is definitely lacking definition. There are a few factors at play, so I don't know if it is because of CQ or the other factors- (used CJ daily fix for 1st time, part/ hair wouldn't lay right so I messed with it too much, ended up being higher dew than expected, think I SOTC a little too soon...)

Needless to say, I can't give an accurate opinion of CQ yet. I swear when I wash again this week I am going to brave it and use it alone! I will report back after that. Off to fluff my hair and apply nourish & shine...

UPDATE: I used ONLY curl queen today. My hair is soft, shiny (way more shiny than usual), and i have curl all the way to the root, however...I prefer my hair a little more untamed looking. I can guarantee a lot of people would like my hair better this way then what I prefer I have a feeling i am going to get great 2nd day hair though, I can't wait to find out! I think it's safe to say Curl Queen is pretty great.
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie

Last edited by BLB; 10-28-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: update!
so far my hair seems to like this stuff. i used it today for the first time over the hibiscus and banana leave in and my hair is soft and moisturized with a little hold on the ends. i only used a dime size amount on each section(2 sections) because i really dont like gel but i like this so far.
I'm cautiously optimistic that I've found a way for CQ to work!! Today I scrunched out excess water with my CLU towel, scrunched in UFD Curly Magic (came yesterday, yay!), plopped and then scrunched in a few dimes worth of CQ. Hair looks good far but I'll have to see by the end of the day if it holds up!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Used the CQ alone yesterday...but got scared that my hair would dry crunchykins, so I smoothed some SL on top, I chickened out! But, the SL absorbed quickly! I just like this gel. I love gels that give me fat moisturized curls (ie, doesn't weigh my hair down so much where I'm getting stringy curls until my hair dries) without glycerin. Black Friday, bring it ON! Another bottle is already in my cart.
Originally Posted by ellepixie
I want fat, moisturized curls without glycerin!!!! What do you use for this? Are you saying CQ is one for you?

I used it yesterday with Hair Milk and it was "eh" - nice and shiny and moisturized, but second-day dryness and just kind of limp.

Originally Posted by ellepixie

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
I can't comment...I hate CD Hair Milk with a passion - it was nice at first then second day and over time I realized my hair was getting dry and gross. Maybe try pairing it with something else? I love the CQ with the Smoothing Lotion.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I haven't used it enough to know that it's not doing the same for me - so I paired it with CQ and it's dry today - but who knows from what. Right now I'm under the hard bonnet dryer with Pumpkin Condish on my hair, about to do a CJ daily fix and Jessicurl condition as usual then trying to decide whether to do CQ alone or re:coil under it. I never use gels w/o a LI but I want to see if this is it.

Plus, the re:coil has glycerin and that's been a no no for me. So prob. I'll just do CQ alone. Wish me luck!

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
elliepixie, are you glycerin free? I was just asking what you use for fat, moisturized curls!

CJ makes smoothing lotion? Gonna look into it.

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
cj does make smoothing lotion. i love smoothing lotion, but since it contains glycerin i have put it on the shelf til higher dew points return. if you live in an area where there are high dew points now, it's great. or, if glycerin is not a problem for you in low dew points, go for it!
for me, beauticurls leave in works extremely well as a styler in lower dew points, no glycerin. it is my styler for the winter months.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Hey LilaGirl! For whatever it's worth, I don't recommed using CQ over re:coil. I tried it a few times before I read this thread, and it equalled very limp hair for me. All the ladies encouraged me to use it alone, and although this scared me (haven't used straight gel in many years), it actually worked! "Fat, moisturized curls". I don't even use LI under it. And it works great in both high and low dews.

The only issue for me is that my scalp is sensitive and the CQ does irritate it. I have been putting a light buffer of diluted Giovanni DLI directly on my scalp (also have dry scalp) and trying to avoid CQ on my scalp and roots as much as possible. It has been helping, I am wearing CQ today with only minor itchiness. This might not pertain to you at all but maybe it will help someone else
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
thanks, blb... i just thought the re:coil might give me some curls - yesterday the hair milk + CQ combo gave me weird hair that looked wavy but not in a good way.

So i will do re:coil alone some other time just to see how I do with the glycerin. I couldn't use glycerin in the summer, but maybe I can now? I'll try that and my jasmines (both with glycerin) and see how I do.

But I have CQ on my hair right now - alone - and it is drying; looking forward to seeing results! Will post them.

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
I am usually glycerin free in winter, LilaGirl, because my hair freaks out, but there are some products I can use that have been formulated properly (glycerin lower on the ingreds list) that I can use in winter.

When I used CQ over Re: Coil I had an awesome hair day - but, my curls are pretty tight, so I don't really have to worry about them getting limp.

Good luck with the CQ!!!