CJ Curl Queen Gel

I figured I would start Curl Queen Gel it's own thread as there are several new products in CJ's line up. So, I have only tried the CQ Gel twice, once with SheaM LI, once with CJ CALI. Both times my hair felt dryish by the end of the day and looked fuzzy. 2nd day hair is non-existent with this product for me so far, and I can get 2nd day hair with a lot of other products. Anyone else having this reaction? And do any of the more ingredient savvy members know what might be causing this?
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

No idea what ingredient is causing it, but I have better luck using CQG with something instead of alone. I used it once on it's own over the Beauticurls smoothing lotion, which I LOVE, but my hair fell flat. I've used it over CCCC Lite in summer for hold and had great results. I'm trying it now today mixed with CCCC lite to see if I get less crunch and more enhancement.

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
I'm not a gel user, but had to try the Curl Queen. I used it with the Beauticurls Smoothing Lotion, too--and it was great. As I said in the other thread, the best compliment I could give is that it behaves like a jelly and not a gel. My hair was soft, tight ringlets with no crunch, minimal frizz--it lasted all day.

I wet and style every day, so second day hair isn't something I try to get.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Originally Posted by Chelley Mae
I've been looking at this and the difference between your LI's and the LI's we have been using is that yours are not oil heavy. The CJ LI's we are choosing (HoneyButta, CCCC-Lite, Smoothing Lotion, Beauticurl Strengthening Condish) have like multiple oils in them towards the top of the list. The CJ CALI has some oil (2), but the positions in which they're placed makes me think not enough. The whole hair drying out by the end of the day makes me feel more and more that the LI is insufficient for this particular gel.

Also KM's statement on this acting like a jelly more than a gel could explain why its not sealing in your LI. In my hair, I find that I need to use a LI with sealants before using jelly type products because they dont' lock me in as well as traditional gels.

I dunno, perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 10-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Well I have no idea what the reason is behind my hair not liking this gel...actually....it's not that it doesn't like it....it just doesn't do much for me except add incredible shine. Other than that, it made my beloved CCCC Lite give me flat hair today, and I normally get wonderful volume and chunky curls w/ CCCC Lite. It will be on the swap board shortly I'm afraid...
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

I routinely get second day hair, and sometimes third day hair with LI, Enhancer + CurlQueen. This past summer, my best hair days were ALL with CurlQueen. Over Re:coil, I had no issues with bad hair in humidity. IN MIAM!!

I even went to the beach in late May and did the CurlQueen "beach test" and while I got some frizz from being windblown and spritz with some mist (at a farmer's market), my curls held up pretty nicely considering.

I have fourth day hair today, and though it's not great (well, fourth day hair is nver great or particularly good on me), it's better than usual. I used Smoothing Lotion, BB FSG, CurlQueen.

I've posted a multitude of pics of my uses of CurlQueen (May and June and July in my Fotki, and this week in my Fotki).

I find it works great for me with Abba Pure Gentle Leave in, Fast Food, and any CJ Leave-In (CALI, Smoothing Lotion).

I find it works well with SS CEJ and BB FSG and Re:coil.

I didn't like it as much without a curl enhancer, though I posted pics of my just Smoothing Lotion plus CQ experiment in the September pics (yeah, I need to rename that album) in Fotki.

I did not have to reapply condish. Hair remained well moisturized. That might be the Smoothing Lotion, but I didn't get dryness from using it before (ie the CurlQueen).

Er, that's my experience.

And here are some pics to show how consistently well it's done from late spring, to deep humid summer, to early fall:

Attached Thumbnails
CJ Curl Queen Gel-oct-7-2010-new-cj-stuff-bb-fsg.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-beach-test-may-2010-mystery-gel-over-recoil.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-july-31-2010-mystery-gel-over-recoil.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-may-2010-mystery-gel-over-recoil-curlqueen.jpg   CJ Curl Queen Gel-may-2010-mystery-gel-over-bb-fsg-curlqueen.jpg

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 10-10-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Originally Posted by MirCurls
I can't wait to get it!!!!! It's killing me that I have to wait until pay day to order. I have to say, out all your pics, I think I like CQ over the BB FSG the best... and I don't have any of that! Oh noooo, I can already see me adding another product to the shopping list. Your curls look gorgeous in all the pics though, thanks for posting!

One question. MirCurls- Do you think SS CEG is comparable to BB FSG? I am currently using a sample size of SS CEG and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I am going to keep trying, but I am now super curious about BB's FSG because I've heard so many good things about it, and because your curls look perfect with that and CurlQueen!!! I notice you didn't use SS CEG in any of those pics. I currenly use re:coil so I know I should just try that with CQ before I get yet another product
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie

Originally Posted by BLB
You didn't go to the May Fotki folder? I have pics up of my SECOND DAY HAIR with it (forgot to take first day hair pics, cause I prolly was in a hurry out the door)--but beware my "just got up, no makeup" middle-aged face. Scares even me to look at the blotchiness. hah:

Repeat: SECOND DAY HAIR right outta the pineapple. So, imagine how much nicer it looked first day.

(see attachment pic below)

The SS CEJ for me is clumpier and more jelly-like. Myh air gets a bit more weight with it. The BB FSG (which I have more pics of dunno why, other than I get lazy coincidentally when I use SS CEJ HAHAHAH) gives me thinner clumps that seem a bit more lively. I used SS CEJ this week and didn't take pics. Just goes to show.

I'm sorry but stuff works differently on everyone's hair. I can't really get into details about how it's different. Just is. The curls aren't SO different that I'd stop buying one over the other, and I often just go on intuitive (what I "feel" my hair would like) or scent-wise (if I want a musk scent more than the CEJ or Recoil scents). But there is a difference in the feel and look of hair on BB FSG versus SS CEJ, just not hugely drastically different. They both give me definition, a bit of clumpiness (though I do my dangest to destroy clumping to encourage volume).

Why not just make some at home and see how you like or don't like it before buying?
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Curl Queen Gel-2nd-day-hair-mystery-gel-over-ss-cej-may-2010.jpg

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Last edited by MirCurls; 10-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Holy crow that was right after waking up?!? My hair would NEVER look like that in a million years. I better save some of my SS CEJ for when the CQ arrives...luckily I don't wash that often and I'm finding I prefer the re:coil to revive my 2nd & 3rd day hair. Side note: hush about your "just got up" face. I know I would feel it necessary to preface the pics like that too, but none of us care and we all feel the same way about our morning faces. You are just braver than a lot of us to take a pic! hahahaa

So true...I just feel like BB is an expert at it now and has it down to an exact science. But I do love mixing homemade potions! Thanks MirCurls!!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
I wish my hair looked like that right out of the pineapple! I'm jealous.
My question is, what are you using to get such good shine?

And also, so your product routine is, LI, SS CEJ, then the CJ gel? Am I missing something?

Thanks! I would love it if my hair did that straight out of the pineapple. I am always fighting for 2nd day hair, forget getting 3rd day hair. And my hair definitely doesn't get nice and soft and shiny like yours looks in the pictures. It doesn't look shiny like that on 1st day hair! How do you do that??
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
My hair is not naturally shiny. I get shine from either CIAB as my finisher or CurlQueen (when I use CQ, Idon't use CIAB). Both those products give my hair shine. CIAB moreso. (And CEJ has a somewhat shine-inducing quality, too, though not like CIAB.) I don't know what thing in the CurlQueen has a similar effect, but it does add gloss to hair.

In that photo of second day hair, it was 3 weeks after I'd had my hair cut, roots colored, and all-over glazed. In the most recent pics, I had a glaze done 3 weeks ago, and I'm sure I have some of that left. I do it about every 2 to 3 months, though I could do it more often, as it's not damaging. If you like shine, consider clear glazes every month to two months, like Sebastian laminates. (Funny how they were both 3 weeks post glaze. Hah.) I buy my own tubes (one brunette for me, one clear for hubby who is blond) and we get our glaze done when we get haircuts/trims.

And yes, I get the best results with CurlQueen when I use a leave in, an enhancer (FSG, CEJ, Recoil) and then the CQ on top.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Last edited by MirCurls; 10-13-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Since I've been hearing about the CCCC-Lite being good with it, I think I'm going to try that today and see what happens.

ETA: Same result as with the smoothing lotion, but didnt need to supersoak. There was a point where it seemed way too frizzy so the 1/4 top portion of my hair I decided to use just CQ gel and call me crazy..

but in my hair it could be better alone. Then again *disclaimer* I did SSDD and left it in overnight as my DC. LOL!! Perhaps I didnt need the LI. *duh*

Last edited by Naturalista; 10-13-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Update
I'm giving CQ another try today, this time over Re:coil with no LI. I also used much less than I had when I posted in the other thread (got SO CRUNCHY it was impossible to scrunch out with 3 quarter sized blobs). This time I tried to just use one quarter size blob and make it stretch. I'm off to play kickball with teenagers on this rocky mountain autumn day. Will post results!
2c/3a, A range of fine to coarse texture (mostly medium, sprinkling of coarse and fine), medium density, low-medium porosity.

About 5% of my hair is randomly fine 4a!

My hair seems to love protein, I use Nexxus Emergencee weekly.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Low-poo: CJ Daily Fix, Mop-C
Rinse out: Jasmine's Shea
Leave in: KCKT
Styling: Playing with: KCCC, Re:Coil, SS CEJ, CJ CCCC-lite, CIAB, homemade FSG

Very new, pretty lost, but having fun!
Tried CQ with CCCC lite today.. I am loving the combo !! My hair is so soft and shiny..

2c/3a, medium texture, normal porosity

Last edited by curly_jan; 10-13-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added links
Originally Posted by sondela
Same here. I have really backed off on the amount of CQ I use or I get *insane* crunch. I get the same great results using less but it doesn't take me forever to SOTC. BRHG's crunch has NOTHING on this stuff lol!
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Ek I ordered some CQ and the smoothing lotion and reading this is making me get impatient for my goods to get here! I'm really hoping my hair will benefit from it. It likes the CCCC-lite so I don't see why it wouldn't play well with CQ added into the mix.
Mod CG since 4/10
Products being used ATM
Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs
Wow, you guys use a lot of gel! I use a 2/3rd of a dime sized blob to rake and another 2/3rd of a dime sized blob to scrunch. I might add half-a dime's worth to my lazy patches as a last step, or, if I do Smasters, I do that step on the 50% dry hair. I think in toto, no more than one quarter-sized blob altogether. I get zip crunch. Huh. I'm amazed at the reports of crunch as this was a big selling point for me (the no crunch).

I can't imagine how limp my hair would be with 3 quarter sized blobs. You guys must have a lot of hair (unlike me).

Originally Posted by MirCurls
I use about 2 nickel sized blobs total (never used 3 quarter sized blobs of anything except KCCC) on damp hair and I get a LOT of crunch with this gel. I was using 2 quarter sized blobs and it took me awhile to get the crunch out. But, I don't mind crunch. I need solid crunch until my hair is completely dry. Once I SOTC, this gel gives me soft, touchable, bouncy curls with absolutely NO frizz.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Mir, I've used a clear laminate (I think it was Sebastian's, too) before but its been a while. You have it done, right? Not do it yourself? When you say glaze, you mean a celophane laminate? If it gives you that kind of shine, I think I may do one again!
I've been using CIAB and I like it but it doesn't give me shine like that
Is the SS CEJ only available online? I thought it was available at Whole Foods, but is that only certain ones?
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Last edited by Auntie Bubbs; 10-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Originally Posted by MirCurls
It's so jelly like that I'm tempted to and oftentimes over do it where it's been getting a tad crunchy. I added a pump to this baby to try and meter my amts better and still got too crunchy. Unlike you, I haven't had the benefit of playing with it and mastering it, but I will soon.