Deva has damaged my hair!! Anyone else?

I started to use the Deva Curl line in January of 2009 and was in love with the product line. It really made my curls look fabulous all around and it seemed to work really well. I was devoted to these products and told everyone about them, converting some of my curly hair friends. Maybe a year into using the products I noticed that my hair was really dry and started to thin out considerably. It seemed my hair was very dry, fragile, and prone to breakage. However, I continued to use them because when styled w/ Angell (or any of the other products) the thinness/dryness was not really noticeable. Well, I finally decided to stop using the products at the end of 2010... my hair became very stringy looking and was just becoming more and more damaged.

I was very upset because it worked so well before and now my hair is ruined... I am nursing it back to health by using some Phyto products recommended to me by my new hairdresser. My hair is slowly become more healthy, but styling it curly now does not look good at all. I am having a hard time finding a product that will do the job of Deva w/o the adverse affects.

I am curious if anyone else has had similar results with the Deva line? I have a hard time finding anything online about these products being damaging. I don't know if it was the gel, the conditioner, the no-poo, or all of it in general.

Any feedback is appreciated - thank you!!
deva changed the formulas a year or two ago. you probably had bottles of the old formulas.
i loved the old formulas, it was the only line i used! the new formulas dry my hair out, i cannot use them. the only thing i still use from time to time is set it free, and i find it be almost useless, watered down.
there are plenty of other good, moisturizing lines out there. i personally love curl junkie and spiral solutions, but there are many others.
and, while they seem more expensive, they are waaaayy more concentrated and you use a lot less of product than with the deva products.
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
nm
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Last edited by Ruslan1; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Sad to say, but I can't use deva anymore either, they also made my hair dry and yucky. I use the spiral solutions and botticelli botanicals lines.
very fine 2a/3a, normal porosity & elasticity, finally going full CG!
currently using: nbd F&S Therapy,Curl Magic, Chamomile Seaweed gel, Curl Magic cleansing conditioner, and Restoration Hair Repair.
Good to know...
I just saw some DevaCurl products in the clearance section of the local Ulta. I considered trying them, but then decided not to.
I guess there's a reason they were in the clearance section!

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
- Charlie Brown
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
I've only used the new formula - sad to say that I can tell immediately it dries me out (and I've heard this from a lot of others)
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
Yes, very drying. I was so disappointed.
Willow Moon
3a, thin, fine, porous
Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
I tried Deva years ago and was dissappointed. I gave it a go again last year because of the formula change and initally thought I found my hold grail. That was a "false positive" hair reaction. It dried me out terribly. I had to return it.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
Its weird that so many people have that reaction. I wonder what is in them that causes that reaction? Sad, considering that Lorraine was the original CG girl!
Originally Posted by kat180
what everyone has to remember is that while the cutting/care methods were lorraine's, the business, the salon and products are not her's alone -- she has 2 or 3 partners -- these decisions are not her's alone.
i would guess the book was her own effort, with the coauthor for writing, of course.
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
When I first became familiar with the CG method, and got the book, it was over 5 years ago, maybe as many as I don't even remember. I got the original CurlyGirl book, and tried the Deva products and liked them.
Then she raised the prices, more than double. I found other things that worked just as well if not better. When I tried the Deva products again, it must've been after the formula changes, because my hair just hated them. I hated them, they do nothing for me. If I want to pay $20 a bottle for gel, I want it to work and not dry me out. My Deva stylist uses the gel when she styles my hair and she can always get it work better than I can, but I can never get 2nd day hair.

I'm sorry the products did so much damage to your hair though that's awful.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
I've heard that when certain products first came onto the market, they were excellent, such as, Carol's Daughter, Deva and Ouidad. Since the formulas have changed, the products according to many people, are now disappointing.

Has anyone emailed/called the company (Deva) to let them know your feelings?
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
SUMMER REGIMEN-This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat:Shima oil
Shampoo:
Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur Ultimate Oil Elixir
Cowash:HE The Sleeker The Butter
PT: Gold Medal's Herbal Tame
DT/LI/Detangler/
: various
Stylers: Lush Zeste Hair Gel

*experimenting and loving it!

Last edited by Greatcurls; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 AM.
I used to LOVE Nexxus! I wouldn't touch that crap now
nm
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Last edited by Ruslan1; 03-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
I also find that Deva products can be very drying, especially when you use the entire line. I always thought it was the protein in the products that could be very drying. I am trying to use up what I have by occasionally using the products in my rotation, but I am not pleased at all...
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, As I Am Curling Gelly,
Sealant- Castor, sweet almond oil,Hairveda Vegetal soya oil KBB hair cream
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!

I think in rotation the deva stuff is OK if your hair likes it initially. if you're using it daily that is when the problems start, I really think it's the castor oil since there aren't a lot of proteins in Deva. then again it's hard to single out ingredients. personally I get different reactions to too much castor to weidghed down or dried out and frizzy so maybe it's a qty. thing.
2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
I never have been able to use Deva products...everytime I tried them and my stylist put them on me I had hair that felt like straw! Very dry, crunchy and product-y feeling. Not soft and natural looking curls like I was hoping. Seems to me you need to be a very corse curly and already have very moisturized hair, and most curlies have naturally dry hair.
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
Originally Posted by wavysue
I think it was the Castor oil too. It really builds up on my hair.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

SL APL BSL MBL
I've used Set It Free on a regular basis to scrunch my crunch for a few years. It was the only thing that worked for me. I purchased a new bottle last week (it had been about 6 months or longer since the last time I bought a bottle). Well, my hair looks awful (dry, frizzy) after I scrunch with SIF now. I compared the old bottle with the recent purchase and the ingredients are different. Not a happy curly girl anymore.
Originally Posted by pinksugar
pinksugar -- could you possibly list the ingredients in the old bottle??? i loved the old set it free, the recent bottles i've been using have felt like water, not really doing much of anything. i'd be curious to see if i have the newer versions.
thanks!