KCCC

I feel like just about everyone loves this. I did - last summer. And then I tried it again on my very simple trial-and-error of products - just cowashing and using suave as a LI and testing out products. When I tested KCCC it felt fine at first, but then as the day went on, it got progressively dryer. By the next day it was BONE dry.

I'm trying to avoid products that do that to me, and there are quite a number of them so far.

Was KCCC drying for anyone else? Or is it just a winter thing?

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!

Was KCCC drying for anyone else? Or is it just a winter thing?
Originally Posted by LilaGirl
Suave isnt going to cut it for LI underneath KCCC. Also, did you apply it to soaking wet hair?? This is really how it needs to be applied.

GDLI? What LI?

I'm trying to avoid OCing.

But KCCC felt drying while other things didn't (with Suave) - so I'm tending toward those other things, but I will try it again - and on really wet hair.

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
KCCC can be very drying for me too, especially with Knot Today. I like it with Abba leave in and Sally's generic version of the Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner.
Okay, but here's my question... why use it at all if it is drying? I'm trying to avoid things that are drying?

And if I use a better LI with it, won't that just be disguising the fact that it's drying?

Originally Posted by LilaGirl
KCCC isnt drying,at least not for me, but it's not a sealing gel. It's a conditioning GELLY that acts synergistically with other moisture agents.

That being said, different products react differently with different LI conditioners. If your conditioner base isn't solid, your hair is going to dry out. If you don't seal it in. This is why you see many using KCCC as the curl enhancer and then popping the gel on top to seal it in.

KCCC is also a very finnicky gel. It won't go with just anything. It's particularly hates oils I know. I've heard from some it even hates some polyquats.

Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 02-17-2011 at 05:31 PM.
KCCC does give me a bit of the "flash drying" feeling that certain glyercin products give me in the winter. Not exactly sure why though...

As you said, why use it if it's drying? Swap/sell/give away!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

It dries my hair out as well. Initially my hair was hard as a rock but I kept using less and less eventually I got it so I still had hold but it was not as hard. I also found it layers nicely with KCKT and mango butter.
Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

I have to jump on the "KCCC is drying" band wagon. It was hard for me to find a LI to work with it. I tried KCNT, Abba Pure Finish, Biolage conditioning balm, Shea Moisture, and gave up. Between it not playing nice with oils, and having a huge learning curve, there were products out there that were not so hard on the wallet that gave good results, without all the experimentation.
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, As I Am Curling Gelly,
Sealant- Castor, sweet almond oil,Hairveda Vegetal soya oil KBB hair cream
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!

Originally Posted by Naturalista

I totally agree with this. I have used it with LI's that have oils in them like with some of the CJ ones and it's worked ONLY because my hair is a hot mess in the conditioning department atm. When my hair was healthier, it never worked to use a suave conditioner as a leave in with it- it felt really dry using it that way. No matter what I used on top as a styler, as long as suave was a LI, my hair felt dry.

I am one of those that uses KCCC like Naturalista described- as more of an enhancing/defining/shine product and then use a harder holding gel to set the cast to seal in moisture on top. It's always worked best for me that way, since I started using it in 2008.

However, I find this product is not really the best thing to use in the winter. I've only used it with CJ Beauticurls LI underneath, and ecostyler krystal on top this winter, and the only complaint I had was a little more frizz than my usual combos.

Maybe shelve it for the winter? Lots of us have seasonal products- not everything works for everyone in all seasons. I know that's certainly my case.
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Yeah, I'm not into high-maint. products right now or anything that dries my hair so KCCC feels like something I want to eliminate, though it did work okay for me in the summer - so I guess I can hang on to it?

BTW, geles-c seems to work similarly and doesn't dry me out like KCCC did (same test - over Suave)

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
OMG!! Thank you Aislin! HOW could I forget this?? Too many dust bunnies in my head..LOL!

KCCC really outperforms itself in HUMID climates and conditions. I've been to the West Indies, South Am., Dutch Caribbean etc and this gel IS DA BOMB!!

I mean, toss it if ya hate it, or need $$ to buy something else that makes you happier, but consider trying it in the higher dews if you haven't. At that point, Suave would certainly be enough bc you dont need heavier conditioners in higher dews.

Facebook|Twitter
I was really struggling with KCCC also...I just couldn't figure it out. Until I used it completely alone and on soaking wet hair. No LI, just RO and apply KCCC. It gave me nice clumps and spirals.

I'm hoping it'll be even better in the summer!
3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!
LOL I'm totally the opposite on this one. I do like KCCC quite a lot....but not in humid conditions. It's the DRY, LOW dews that make it perfect for me! Like now, it's great, but this summer I'll probably be shelving it. We'll have to see. And I used it without LI too, other than my SS protein spray. But my hair stayed very soft.

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
Anything else with it? Just KCCC?

And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
I like to mix it with SS CEJ!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

KCCC is a product I can't figure out, either. I've tried it in different seasons, and there is never any consistency. My hair either looks great and stays great, looks great for about 5 minutes, or looks horrible and gets worse throughout the day. I have been unable to determine what the problem is, or how to get it to work consistently for me. I will occasionally continue to try until I use up the jar, but unless I find the magic bullet, I will never buy it again. I'm not spending $30 on a product that gives me one good hair day out of five.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
I used it alone yesterday and it was PERFECT! Shine, hold, really great!

I'm excited, and I'll see now about getting second day hair.

I'm wondering about other good combos with it, but I'll have to look in the archives... Actually I think Rymorg posted now on that.