Curl Junkie Curl Assurance breaking my hair

Hey all,
I have been reading this boards for quite some time and am trying the low poo method and all these new products. I bought the Daily Conditioner from Curl Junkie, the Daily Assurance Smoothing Lotion as a Leave In, and am using the Curl in a Bottle for styling. When I use the Smoothing Lotion underneath the CIAB, my curls draw up and frizz ALOT. There is no curl definition and my hair feels like straw. When I use the CIAB by itself, my hair is shiny and the curls are well defined-for a short period of time. After a few hours, they frizz out and lose their definition. The CIAB by itself does not seem to provide enough hold. When I run my fingers through my hair to apply the products, there is a lot of broken hairs that come out as well. My hair appears to becoming more frail. I Then purchased the Curl Junkie Curl Assurrance Smoothing Gellie. What a catastrophe. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. As soon as I applied it to my hair, it became an instant mazz of frizz with zero definition and no visible curls. It felt like it sucked all the moisture right out of my hair.

Can anyone help me or recommend a better combination of products? I live in Tennessee where the humidity is about to get very high.

I should mention that I have 3c hair that is color treated (highlights/lowlights), but was moderately healthy before I began trying these products. My hair, especially underneath in the back, gets very frizzy easily.

Thanks so much! Sorry about the long post!
YOu really should try emailing Marsha (the founder/head of CJ) and asking. She's beyond friendly and helpful.

I don't know why good products with so many moisturizers and quality products would cause BREAKAGE. Makes no sense. I find I get overmoisturized with CJ. Breakage, from what I've seen, comes from damage of some sort, mechanical or chemical, or some disease condition. I don't know how moisturizing cleansers and conditioning and styling products can lead to breakage...hmmm....

However, if the particular ones causing issues have protein, you may be protein sensitive and that gives that frizz/matted/weird effect on some folks. Or it could be something else that does not agree with your hair.

The smoothing gellie had a similar effect on me when I did NOT super soak with it. When I super-soaked, I think its concentrated nature was diluted. But I don't SS anymore, so I have my smoothing gellie bottles stashed away. Worked great SSing, though. I don't know what property did that sort of, what I call, "flash drying" effect. It made the texture different right off, yeah....

Are you processed in some way chemically? Makes me wonder when folks mention breakage if there is a sequela to processing...

Anyway, do email Marsha at info@curljunkie.com

I find that this month my best results have been with Spiral Solutiokns. I don't even use leave-in lately--just the CEJ and FHJ in that line. Been using Elucence poo and condish. I alternate CJ and SS and AG lines/systems. I got 3rd day hair (and hubby said it looked good!) with it today. Here's how it looked yesterday with 2nd day hair (and there are some strays in the wind, hah):

Best with finding what works for ya...
Attached Thumbnails
Curl Junkie Curl Assurance breaking my hair-2011atstarbucksparkinglothwdfl-vi.jpg

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 03-15-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Mir gave you some excellent suggetions and I 2nd you email Marsha directly while she still has time to answer personal emails

It's hard to say why certain products don't work on some heads and others work well. CIAB isn't enough hold on it's own for my hair I need a hard hold gel with it. How much did you use? She does suggest that you apply it generously. On the label of Smoothing Gellie it says to add water to activate the product, did you do that? What are you using to wash your hair? Is your hair chemically treated? What is your texture? How often do you wash? There are missing pieces to the puzzle & we need a little more info about your hair properties to be able to help
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

ITA with Mir (long time no see lady, wassup?) and Del. Email Marsha.

Now, my question is, is it REALLY CJ breaking your hair? When you aren't using CJ, what else are you doing in your product routine? Analyzing your hair properties, deep and protein treament regimens, in addition to your products should be the next step. After that, product application and proper use should be the next. Unless you have fine waves to loose curl pattern CIAB is not meant to work alone and its a rare head of hair where it does--particularly in high dews which you may be experiencing in TN. It's meant as a finisher for most curl types.

Good luck to you though. I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
Hiya to Del and Naturalista (I see you are growing it out, yay!)

I used CIAB as a finisher (cause it gives nice shine). Like a serum. I don't use it anymore, cause I get mild itchies from it and cause I get plenty of shine from Curl Queen.

You can also check the Curl Junkie blog. Marsha has posts there that explain what products are intended to do. Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!

The official site has a chart for what products for what hair.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

I don't have anything to add - the other ladies pretty much said it all...but HI MIR!!! (It's Elle)
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I still don't believe breakage is from any CJ product. Just don't see how....
totally agree with you here, something else is going on hopefully the OP will enlighten us a little more...
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Originally Posted by DEL2C
Me neither, unless her hair is getting REALLY over moisturized and is too elastic...? But that doesn't really equal breakage...hrrmm...
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

^^ I suspect there's a protein imbalance.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 03-15-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Maybe a sensitivity to aloe?
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
Originally Posted by HairStranger
Elle! Ya changed names! And I see your avatar shows a heckuva voluminous head o' hair. Go, you!

Mir

nm
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Last edited by Ruslan1; 03-29-2011 at 10:26 AM.