Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Best protein treatments & deep conditioning treatments?

What are your favorite ones? I'm looking to try new ones. Anyone make their own?

Low Poo
(Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #2

Beebop's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

Hey Slivola!
Good to talk to you again! I ended up having glycerin overload from the new nature's gate cond. I was using for a week and KathyMack advised me to do a PT. The ones she recommended were from Curl Junkie and Spiral Solutions, but I ended up getting the Nexxus PT at Walgreens and it seemed to work o.k. nothing spectacular ( KM knew they wouldn't work as well ) Then I purchase the Aubrey GPB cond. as a PT and the AOHR as a DT for the follow up as many users here recommended and have used once a week since then and they seem to work fine and pop up my curls, I just think I had more of a glycerin issue going on. I assume the best ones are probably the ones KM told me about but I had never mail ordered anything until today in which I ordered the Spiral Solutions sample size styling products, hope they work! HTH!
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
Beebop is offline   Reply With Quote

KBB luscious Locks Hair Mask
BrownButterBeauty Babassu DC

PT's
CJ Repair me
Mozeke's Carrot Protein Masque (a light one, but I love it)
Joico KPak Reconstructor

Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Join Date: Jan 2011

Thanks so much, Beebob and Naturalista! I live in a warmer, dryer part of the States but lately it's been cold, rainy and humid and I've had hair challenges- kind of limp and lacking in curl, so I'm not sure if I'm using too much leave in that typically is good for dryer days, or if I just need a treatment!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Naturalista's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

I find that whenever my hair is getting limp its a protein issue.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Join Date: Jan 2011

Naturalista- very good point. I looked at my products and many have wheat protein in them, especially one that I have been wondering about dropping. So today I used less leave in on my longer layers that were feeling almost too soft, and then I used the two products that do not contain wheat protein. I had great, full curls today. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

agirlcanmack's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010

Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post

CJ Curl Rehab
Awwww, i love the smell of the Deep Fix! Reminds me a bit of Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery Treatment.
Unlike everybody here, my hair doesn't care much for the Curl Rehab.

PT:
CJ Repair me (BEST PT out there)
CJ Banana & Hibiscus DF
Mop Top DC
Curls Curl Ecstasy
Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner
ORS replenishing Pak (not CG)

(don't know if all of these qualify as a PT but they do contain protein, which my hair loves!)

KBB Luscious Locks
I have yet to find the perfect DT....
Last Relaxer: 2000
Shampoo: Curls Cleansing Cream, CJ Curl Assurance & Daily Fix
Conditioner & DC: Curls Coconut Sublime & Curl Ecstasy, DB Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Crown Pride Tucuma Curl Moisture Mask
Leave-In: Curl Ectasy
Moisturizer: Darcy's Shea Butter Moisturizing Cream, Oyin Whipped Pudding & Hair Dew
Oil: JBCO, Argan oil

I like (all protein):

Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment

John Masters Honey & Hibiscus reconstructor

Mop Top Deep
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Last edited by afrosheenqueen; 03-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #10

Join Date: May 2009

Aubrey Organics GPB is really good I just started using it on my daughter's hair and it always feels amazing afterwards
mzzdymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #11

Join Date: Jul 2007

Komaza Intense Moisture Therapy is lovely - and actually quite good value for a 16 oz tub! It is a big moisture hit, but also does have some proteins for balance.
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #12

Beebop's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

we've been gone on vacation the past week and I did the GPB and AOHR and noticed I had stringy unclumped curls for a few days, I don't know if they were really considered crunchy and dry but just didn't have the bounce and clumping until about 3 days post PT and DT. Do you all think I'm protein sensitive or too much AOHR? Since I noticed it with the new Nature's Gate cond. as well, it kind of acted the same. Just when I thought the Aubrey stuff would work well!
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Beebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #13

jenimkat's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010

naturalista~where do you get that babassu dc? i love babassu oil, how does a butter compare?
Hair type: 3a, fine, porous (too much hair dye on lengths), hennaed
Products i love so far: devacare low-poo, gftn, yes to tomatoes, yes to carrots, burt's bees shea and grapefruit DT, oc, millcreek botanicals biotin conditioner aveda be curly style prep and curl enhancer, cjdf, ciab, bb fsg, bb styling mud, angel, cccclite
jenimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #14

asianrunner's Avatar

Originally Posted by agirlcanmack View Post
Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post

CJ Curl Rehab
Unlike everybody here, my hair doesn't care much for the Curl Rehab.
LOL I just couldn't stand the smell of it! It is just so floraly and the smell totally lingers. It does remind me of the AOHR scent quite a bit as well.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

RacerWife7's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Send a message via AIM to RacerWife7 Send a message via Yahoo to RacerWife7

CJ Curl Rehab

But, DT's tend to weigh me down easily. So, I don't do much in the way of DT's. PT's on the other hand - I do those all the time because my hair LOVES them. CJRM is the best PT I've found, hands down.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #16

Join Date: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by RacerWife7 View Post

CJ Curl Rehab

Im the same really. I never feel the need for the DT. Whenever I do one, my hair's ok, but I do loose root curl. Thats why I love Repair Me so much, because it moisturizes even though it gives a great dose of protein. So I rarely need to bother with a DT (I certainly never follow up with one).

I've never tried Rehab - what's it like? I've used Hibiscus and Banana deep fix, and wasn't overwhelmed - I think its probably just too much. I just don't feel my hair needs it. Plus I do not like the smell of that one.
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #17

RacerWife7's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Send a message via AIM to RacerWife7 Send a message via Yahoo to RacerWife7

Originally Posted by kat180 View Post
Originally Posted by RacerWife7 View Post

CJ Curl Rehab

Curl Rehab is one of those that's too heavy for me to use after my PT. I used to do it. But, it seems to just weigh me down. So, I don't do that anymore. IF my hair seems to want a good dose of moisture, I'll do a little CJCR. But, I only need a SMALL amount of it and I don't leave it on long (like I do with my regular conditioners). I just get it applied and rinse it out. It's very moisturizing. So, using it sparingly is the best bet for me. HTH!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Styling: CJCQ
RacerWife7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #18

Join Date: Jan 2011

Does anyone know what the difference is between a hair masque and a protein treatment, etc?