Everyday Shea Moisturizing Shampoo from Whole Foods

Hi! I was in WF checking out hair products (like I need to) and discovered this Everyday Shea Moisturizing Shampoo. On the front of the bottle it said "Paraben Free, No Synthetic Fragrance, No Animal Testing, No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate." So I decided to try. These are the ingredients:
  • Aqueous Shea Leaf extract
  • Saponified shea butter
  • Virgin coconut oil
  • cocomidopropy betaine
  • Decyl polyglucose
  • Vanilla extract
  • Spearmint essential oil
Not bad, right? Wrong....this shampoo left my hair feeling very squeaky clean, minimally tangled, and not soft or moisturized at all. I must say, it WAS clean though. I immediately rinsed and then did an oil rinse and detangle, rinsed again, and am now DC'ing with CJ Banana Hibiscus deep condish. Hopefully all will be well. Maybe this is a good clarifyer, but I don't see how they can say this is an everyday shampoo....Maybe those of you that are up on ingredients can tell me if one of those 'unpronounceable' words in the ingredients is a harsh cleanser? Thanks!
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
Proud to be a PJ!

Saponified shea butter is soap--means it went through the cold process soap making with lye. A lot of us use natural soap bars that are made in this manner to cleanse. When you first do this, your hair feels a little "odd," like waxy. Once you use your rinse out conditioner, it feels normal.

Cocomidopropyl betaine is a mild sulfactant--it's in CJ Daily Fix.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
It is not meant to be an everyday shampoo. The Everyday Shea (ES is the brand name)line was introduced by the Alaffia corporation as a lower-cost, more accessible companion to their existing product line (Alaffia) and as a way to continue their work of providing fair trade shea butter products to support people in the owner's homeland of Togo (I may have the country wrong, but you get the point). I don't love the shampoo. I do, however, like the body wash on my hair and scalp. Random!
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
Thanks KM and Sagehen. Not sure if I want to give that shampoo another whirl. @ KM- so even though it was made with lye, it's not bad for the hair, right? My hair is fine today, and feels moisturized, actually. I think the CJ Hibiscus and Banana saved the day Is this shampoo ok to use occasionally to clarify?

Originally Posted by pjjosephgiss
There is no lye in it. The process of saponification is where oils or other fats are processed using an alkiline material to make soap. The result, depending on the ingredients, is soap and water, and sometimes glycerin. The chemical process creates a new compound altogether. It is quite safe to use on your hair. If you use bar soap, you are using this on your body already.

Soap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use the shampoo occasionally to cleanse (I am trying to use it up) and it is just fine on my color-treated, dry, porous hair. I dc at least once a week though, just to give perspective.
Originally Posted by pjjosephgiss

Soap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by sagehen
Thanks so much, Sagehen! My hair is porous and colored as well. It's not dry (today LOL!). Great advice.
Proud to be a PJ!

^^no worries. I hope the info was helpful. I just don't want anyone to think they might be using something they are committed not to use (lye).

I forgot to add that I almost always prepoo, for my scalp's sake, and that might add to my success in using the shampoo. I have ezcema so a pre-poo oiling helps loosen buildup on my scalp and save me the extra times lathering up to cleanse my scalp.