Avalon Organics

PS. I'm a skincare PJ too, not just hair, and tried a lot of stuff, from natural lines as well as high end and low end etc, so if you would like I can pm you and let you know what else I found to work well.
Originally Posted by lapluie
Please PM me!! I am a TOTAL skincare PJ and I would love to hear about the stuff you've tried!
Originally Posted by curlycandy3
Just to chime in while we're on the topic of Avalon Organics non-hair care products:

I really like the Avalon Organics CoQ10 cream cleanser for my combination skin, used as an a.m. cleanser. I prefer it in the morning because although it does a decent job of removing makeup, it doesn't get all of it off. It would be nice as a p.m. cleanser as well for someone who doesn't wear much makeup.

The CoQ10 gel cleanser is great as a p.m. cleanser if you have oily skin. It's a little drying for my combination skin, so I tend to use it instead as an eye-makeup remover at night along with my regular cleanser (Paula's Choice). It removes all eye makeup without making my eyes burn or sting, and without irritating my skin or causing breakouts. I also use it as a p.m. facial cleanser during summer when my skin is more oily.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Melaniesusan- thank you so much for your input. I have combo/oily skin myself, leaning closer to the oily side, so this sounds like it would work great for me.
Southeast Michigan
*Whatever makes my curls happy* since 01/2011
3b/c/a Thick, Medium/Coarse, Normal Porosity & Elasticity, Dyed.
Kind of starting from scratch...
Cleanse: various low-poos (still searching)
Condish: Aura Cherry Almond Bark (but always on the look-out)
DT: SMDTM
Styling: LI, curl cream, gel. Insert various products appropriately.
I <3: Coconut & Argan oil, my Denman, a neat side-braid.
"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
For curly hair that is dry and damaged you should use some argan oil to get it soft, healthy and without frizz. Argan oil is not greasy and it's really light and easy to use. It smoothes hair down and makes it soft and healthy while preventing damage and split ends, I use one called Pro Naturalís that I got online. You just put some on damp hair after a shower and style your hair as usual. Really helps a lot
For awhile back in 2003, I used Avalon Organics Lavender shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo was OK, but the conditioner wasn't great(I need more strength in a conditioner what with coloring, and having mixed-texture 2c-3a hair). I tried their Lemon-something clarifying shampoo and it irritated my scalp. Haven't used Avalon since then - like blulight here, it seems that my hair and scalp don't particularly like Avalon either.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I'm CG so I never used any of the shampoos but the Lavender CO was my holy grail until they changed the formula around 2005. I didn't even need to use a gel because using it as a LI it kept my colored hair frizz-free, shiny and well-defined. I recently noticed they changed the formula again and would like to try it again to see if it's like the "original" one.

I also used the Lemon Verbena for clarifying, was as good as making the "Lemon Aid" from L.M.'s book, the only use I gave it because it was not very moisturizing. Another one I tried was one with thyme and mint which was ok but not as good for me as the Lavender.