Avalon Organics

Not Aubrey Organics, but Avalon Organics. I found it at Kroger, its not crazy expensive. It is only shampoo and conditioner, I think 2 different formulas. I haven't been able to find any reviews... has anyone used this line? What did you think? Thanks in advance, Curlies!

"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
I haven't used this line very much but I discovered the Olive & Grapeseed conditioner from this line and fell in love. So much slip!
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
I love the Avalon Organics olive/grape seed low poo. It's an HG product for me. I used to use the matching conditioner, but ultimately switched to CJ conditioners because they are a little more detangling and my thick hair tangles easily. But my hair did like the conditioner.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I tried the conditioner last summer too but it didn't detangle a thing. I looked last month and it looks like they reformulated. They added Behentrimonium Chloride and some other stuff. It's totally different.

SL APL BSL MBL
Awesome... I was intriuged by the olive and grapeseed. They also have a pomegranite something, I think. Do you find it to be a good value for the price? Or do you use so much that it becomes more expensive anyway?

"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
Awesome... I was intriuged by the olive and grapeseed...Do you find it to be a good value for the price? Or do you use so much that it becomes more expensive anyway?
Originally Posted by curlycandy3
I find it to be a good value for the price. I usually shampoo my hair every other day, and wash with the low poo twice before applying my rinse-out conditioner. If I'm in a hurry, I use a little more product and only wash once. Overall, I don't use as much product as with some other natural shampoos I've tried (i.e., the Aubrey Organics swimmer's shampoo - it was more like a no poo - had to use a ton to get my hair clean). It doesn't foam as much as a sulfate poo, but much more so than a no poo, so it's easier to distribute. Also, I lose very few hairs when I shampoo with it, and it doesn't leave my hair super dry or tangly afterward.

I haven't tried any of the other AVO line. I generally order mine from either www.drugstore.com (whenever it goes on sale) or www.totaldiscountvitamins.com (when replenishing my stock of vitamins). Both carry the AVO olive/grape seed version, unlike many health food stores which don't.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Used Avalon's Olive and Grapeseed conditioner today for the fist time, and love it. One of the most moisturizing and slippy things I ever came across. Very little is needed. I got the newest formula, there was an old bottle with different ingredients on the shelf, guessing new one is a real improvement. Will try as a leave in too. Got it for around $10 at a local grocery store and seen for 11 at another store. I thought it's kinda expensive, but now that I used it I think it will last a long time, so no regrets.

Used Lavender shampoo years ago and it was kind of stripping, because after that I started using Suave clarifying poo which is not stripping at all in comparison.

Last edited by lapluie; 04-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Changed my mind about Olive & Grapseed conditioner. Used it again today, and even tho it was as slippy and felt as moisturizing as yesterday, once I rinsed it off my hair was stripped and tangled. I put in a leave in that usually makes my hair very soft, and now that it's drying hair is not as soft as it could be even with a leave in. Maybe I was wrong about formulas and old one is better than the new one.
Originally Posted by lapluie
That's weird. It never leaves my hair stripped. If you have a lot of minerals in your water I can see all the oils causing quick buildup though.

SL APL BSL MBL
Glad it works for you and everyone else it works for . I returned it, just didn't want to use it again. Doubt it's water (but mine really does seem kinda crappy so it makes sense that it could be the reason) , because not every conditioner leaves my hair the same way this one did. Most I have don't. It was the same as when I used to use Avalon Lavender poo. Same kind of stripped/tangled. My hair just doesn't like Avalon I guess. When I used it the first time I had a lot of very moisturizing products in my hair prior and guess that's why it didn't feel as stripped, some gunk still remained. Today there's wasn't much, hence it showed it's true colors, heh.
Thanks for everyone's input, especially you, lapluie, for your follow-up. I won't try anything that has even one person say that it is stripping. My hair is dry, dry, dry and if it strips one person's hair, it is almost gaurenteed to strip mine. I've got many more to try that haven't had anyone say this.
Thanks so much!!
"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
You're welcome . I feel kinda bad tho, like what if it's just me and it works for everyone else and a good product gets a bad rep and someone else will read what I wrote and won't use it because of me, when it maybe could have worked for them... I'd rec to get it from somewhere with good return policy and try both formulas of it if possible. I now wonder if the older version would be better... Anyway, yeah, there are so many other conditioners that work well. I didn't even need this one (or anymore of any kind of product at all lol), just got curious because of the raves.
I have been having major scalp issues this past year that are getting worse so I bought some Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp Treatment (not sure if that's the exact name). I just tried a little while ago and so far it seems fine. We'll see what happens!!!
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] [I][B]My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

I have the lavender low poo and I don't care for it. It's more drying/stripping than the old bottle of Suave shampoo I have.
Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Lapluie, I understand, I'm always afraid to leave reviews on products. I'm so new and have so little idea of what I'm doing, I would hate to just be doing something wrong, then make the product sound bad when its totally not the products fault. If I put up a review of everything I've tried so far, i'd at least double my posts! I guess I'm just still a little timid.

Hippiechic, let me know how the scalp treatment works! I don't have problems myself, but my brother and sister do (a lot!) And I am their natrual product advocate. I'd love to present them with a new option

Cheetara- more stripping than Suave? That's scary! Lol my Suave hasn't seen anything but my brushes, combs and hair ties in over 5 months!

"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
Don't know if it's even ok to post this here, since it's not hair stuff, but if you are curious about any of the other Avalon products, I use and love their shower gels (lemon and lavender) and a vit.c eye cream, and used and liked vit. c serum too.
Originally Posted by lapluie
Don't be silly! Your posts are ALWAYS welcome And thank you for the tip, I've been looking for a natural shower gel and other beauty products. Is the vit. c eye cream like a wrinkle reducer? Or a brightener? Or just a moisturizer? And how would you compare it to other specific age-defying creams and stuff?
"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
Oh yay then, glad this can be useful too.

About eye cream - I don't have wrinkles or puffiness, so dunno if it has reducing abilities of either, but it's moisturizing yet not greasy, so not a problem is used during a day, is not irritating in any way, no break outs, no milia... It's full of great ingredients, comes in a pump bottle (hate dipping fingers in jars), and is 1oz, compare to many that are only .5, and I found it for about 17 online last year when i got it but seen it cheaper recently. As for comparing it to other eye creams - this one is as good as any other I've got. I tried retinol around my eyes, but it made skin look like crap. Then I tried some glycolic eye cream that got raves and it did nothing (but then there's not much to change yet under my eyes).

C serum was good, didn't cause any issues and from what I recall did brighten skin.

Also, just remembered Avalon's CoQ10 Wrinkle defense cream. I used up a bottle of it before (which also comes with a pump, which I love) and haven't bought a new one only cuz I found something else I love even more (which is also 3 times more expensive). But this was great. It made my skin brighter and glowy every time I put it on. I used it in the morning under sunscreen as a serum and moisturizer (it's not heavy even tho is named cream). I don't use foundation so I find lotions and creams that make skin look good enough not to need any.

Shower gels I like cuz they foam up really well, smell light and inoffensive, and rinse off easily, yet don't leave skin feeling dry and tight. Come to think of it's funny, I used Avalon's and Suave's shampoos and body washes, and while Suave clarifying shampoo is my HG, Avalon's poo sucked, yet Avalon's shower gel works great, but Suave's body wash I didn't like at all.

I got most of Avalon stuff from vitacost, good prices there, but many other discount online places have it too.

HTH

PS. I'm a skincare PJ too, not just hair, and tried a lot of stuff, from natural lines as well as high end and low end etc, so if you would like I can pm you and let you know what else I found to work well.

Last edited by lapluie; 05-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Originally Posted by lapluie
Please PM me!! I am a TOTAL skincare PJ and I would love to hear about the stuff you've tried!
"Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
Just PM'd you Let me know if you don't get it, I'm having doubts I did it right, lol, it's not among my send messages for some reason.