Original Moxie Hair Care - any thoughts?

Hi All,

I was looking at the Original Moxie haircare and was surprised that there hasn't been much said so far. There is a thread on the 4a thread, but it hasn't had a lot of activity.

I did google some reviews and the line seems to be well liked. It looks like the company sent product samples to bloggers and you-tubers who submit reviews on products.

I was wondering if any of NC's curlies had tried it and what your thoughts are?

Some of the products contain cones; I am not interested in them. I was drawn to the No Foam Cleanser, Just Gel, Moisture Gel and Shape Shifter products and would appreciate any feedback.

Here is a link to the site:

Last edited by FrizzBgone; 05-15-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: link added
I looked at the line online. I was interested in the gel bit it has castor oil in it - my hair hates that ingredient. The rest of the products I can live without.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I am intrigued by their "mature" recommendations. And I may need to get a sample of one of the hair gels -- can't remember the name of it, but it's for lightweight frizz-reducing hold and refreshing dry hair too.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
OM sent me samples for the utube contest and I will be incorporating them into my regime after da competition win or lose.
My top 3:
Lux Locks- calls for very little product & my twist are super defined. It gives me enuf slip for missed knots and it leaves my hair feeling very soft and moisturized. It is thicker in consistency but i hvnt had an issue with it weighing my hair down.
Just Gel- also calls for very little. I personally dnt care for str8 edges and while this product has a soft-medium hold im not certain it wud b da best if dats the look ur going for. As for da look I desire it does well. It also doesn't weigh the hair down nor hv a crunch when dried.
Hair Bling: gives my hair a gr8 sheen and I like it bc it's lightweight and doesn't leave my hair feeling oily. Bc of sum of da ingredients it is advised that it not be used b4 heat styling if ur one to use that.
Overall I like the products but these r da 3 that I plan to continue using. The samples r big enuf to do a few applications so u may want to go dat route to see if it is indeed sumthg u wud enjoy. Hope this helps. Peace & Love.

Sent from my using CurlTalk
Happily Nappy!
Twitter: @sistajmoe
Youtube: Sistajmoe
Thank you! I may try some samples. For a newer line I would have thought we would have has more excitement on the boards if they were good !
i was kind of curious about the moisture gel too but it's pretty expensive for a gel. $26 for 8 oz.
a dreamy pisces
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural
I looked at them and didn't care for the ingredients--my hair HATES castor oil, too!

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
I got some samples a week ago and so far I'm LOVING what Original Moxie does for my hair. I think I have 2c hair - wavy bordering on actually curly, super dry and frizzy. I've been using DevaCurl products but find they still leave my hair feeling dry and looking frizzy unless I put enough product in to make my hair feel sticky. Have tried Curl Keeper and Carol's Daughter Milk Lite but they leave my hair looking greasy.

I've used the Get Clean No Foam Shampoo, Intense Quench, and the Shape Shifter for about a week now. My hair looks the best it has in forever. It looks soft, healthy, nice waves, and the frizz is gone. I can actually brush through it (I know it's a no-no) and then scrunch curl back into it. The Shape Shifter looks thick and heavy but I find it actually soaks into my hair rather then sitting on the outside of the cuticle. My hair doesn't feel like I have product on it. It just looks healthy.
Hi Kimmie
You've listed the products that I was interested in. I liked the look of the gels as well, but find them a little on the pricey side. I thought the Shape Shifter sounded really interesting.
Do you mind describing the fragrance for me?
i've been eying the product line for awhile but i'm not keen on the prices being that they are a newer product line. If they have a nice summer sale or black friday sale i'll definitly give them a try. until then i'll keep checking out some of the reviews.
I was sent products to test.

Some background on my hair and the conditions under which I tested them:

I tested on my hair before I had a cut and my hair was badly damaged from neglect (no cut/professional care for about 2 yrs) and after I had a good cut steam treatment and color correction. My hair was straightened (lasted all of 2 days) and then it's been curly ever since.

What worked on my hair during damaged phase:
Get Clean No foam shampoo
Hair Bling shine pomade
Emolience penetrating moisture
scalp therapy

What worked on my hair during straight phase:
Hair Bling (but very very little application)

What works on my hair now
Emolience penetrating moisture

What would I actually purchase (I'm cheap - lol!)
Scalp therapy: When my hair was in damaged phase, the scalp therapy worked instantly on my itchy scalp. Loved it. I don't need it anymore now that my hair is back on track, but it's good to know, just in case I need a fix.

Emolience: This one took some time for me to figure out how to use. If you don't like spending money on deep conditioning treatments, just add this to your hair (dry or wet - I saw the same performance either way) and then layer your cheapo condish on top (I use herbal essences in the blue bottle). For night time use when I need a little moisture boost, I just add a bit to my ends. It's a bit oily/greasy to the touch on day 1 but by day 2 your hair will absorb and feel nice and soft. Don't use it as a layering agent before adding product. I found that what I gained in softness I lost in curl definition. But all in all, a good workhorse type product that can enhance your conditioning products when you need it. I can see myself traveling w/ this overseas and feeling confident adding it to the cheap low moisture conditioners in the hotel room. Edited to add that you'll see that on my product review it's a 3 curl. I kinda jumped the gun on that. If someone can tell me how to edit my reviews, I'd prefer to update it to a 5 curl and post my tips there.
hello.world.

Last edited by webjockey; 06-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.
I have been using two of the stylers regularly and love them. The Just Gel & the Oassis Moisture Gel are two of my favourites. I prefer the Oassis Moisture Gel for cold weather, while the Just Gel worked great in higher dewpoints.

The Just Gel is the only styler I've ever tried that I don't need to apply a gel over it. I use it with the CJ Curl Fix as a LI and still use either CIAB or Gel-les'c as a serum before diffusing.

The Oasis Moisture Gel works great with all my LI's - I prefer the heavier LI's (MD, Darcy Botanical's Curl Cream or CJ's CF). It is very forgiving - not one of those products that weighs my hair down or makes it greasy looking if I use too much. I still scrunch in a small amount of gel for hold and use a serum product before diffusing. It dries nice and soft. I get tons of well defined curls and no frizz.

I wish the line was less expensive, but I do think it is excellent quality.

I've also used the No Foam Cleanser and like it but find it a little too expensive. I probably won't repurchase.