Soft Sheen Carson Roots of Nature

Hi ladies!

I introduced myself a while back, and although I haven't posted or responded to anything I've been checking in pretty often. I always get great info from you all, so thanks!
I noticed the new curl products from Soft Sheen Carson in Essence mag, and had been curious. I finally found them in a local BSS the other day. I noticed there wasn't much info about them on here, so I figured I would add my two cents.

I purchased the Feather Whipped Cream and the Curl Reviving Spray. Both say there are no drying alcohols, mineral oils or parabens.

I first used the Feather Whipped Cream under Eco Styler for a WnG, and it came out nicely. Curls felt moisturized, and I noticed the crunch I normally get from Eco was minimized. The scent is nice, kind of like a mango smoothie, but it does linger. That didnt bother me, though I know it may be an issue for some.

I used the Curl Reviving Spray the next day in an attempt to get 2nd day hair. I never usually get 2nd day hair, but it worked this time. The spray helped to wake up my curls and added moisture.

The cream says it is good for braids, twists, etc. so sunday I used it to do a two strand twist out. The only other product I used was Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle as a leave in. I just took the twists out this morning. There is hold, no frizz, nice curl definition. But...my hair feels a little gross. It feels coated and heavy, almost as if there were mineral oil on it. I don't have too much experience with butters, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I also noticed both products leave this film on my hands that I'm not crazy about.

I will be playing with it some more, but just wanted to share my initial thoughts.

On another note, I have ordered my first CJ products. Thanks to you ladies, I have been DYING to try this line. I wasn't sure where to start, and I'm still trying to figure out what my hair likes, dislikes. I ordered curl rehab, CIAB, and CJDF. Can't wait to try!
Hi! Thanks for the review. I just heard about the Carson products and was considering checking them out since you can purchase them on the ground. I'm sorry to hear they made your hair feel that way. Carson products tend to have some synthetic products which can contribute to build up. Have you checked the ingredients?

The butters I have purchased never made my hair feel gross or coated, but soft for the first few days. Sometimes I get build up from Shea butter, but not to the point where it feels coated and gross.

I love Curl Junkie btw. My fave is the curl rehab.
Took so many pictures decided to get a Fotki!
Hi! I bought a couple a months ago the Optimum Oil Therapy - Shine Booster. My hair gets more shinny, less frizz and the texture is softer curls!!! The main ingredients are coconut, olive, avocado & jojoba. Here's a picture ...

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I tried the feather whipped curl cream and the butter whipped curl cream, as well as the curl reviving spray. I got them at the same time that Shea Moisture products came into Walgreens.

I like the feather whipped cream as a styler (similar to Curls Souffle) and I like the butter whipped cream as a next-day mositurizer on damp hair best. The curl reviving spray did not do much for me at all. My own homemade spritz works better, not to mention the sprayer on the curl reviving spray bottle sprays in one stream. Irritating.

I was surprised at the quality of most of the ingredients in the products I tried, considering the rest of the Roots of Nature lineup, but I will not be repurchasing. Ounce for ounce, the Shea Moisture products are cheaper and more readily available to me (my Walgreens quickly discontinued the products on the ground), and the ingredients are a bit better.
4a/3c curls
Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
Team Wash and Go!
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
I did read the ingredients, and I didn't see anything too terrible in them, but I'm fairly new at this so its possible I missed something. I'll be a year natural next month, and im still trying to figure it all out. Lately I've been trying to do the cg method, but I can't seem to make it more than 4 days or so without feeling like I need a low poo at least. I think the reviving spray has a cone, so I'll definitely be washing in a day or so.
You know I was surprised by the ingredients too. I was using shea moisture for a while, and I really wanted to like it. I used the coconut and hibiscus smoothie and hair milk, anas I also tried the deep sea masque. All of them made my hair really dry. The smoothie and milk did it over a week or so, and the masque was right away. I'm not sure what in the ingredients my hair doesnt like. I was hoping the natural remedies would be a cheap replacement for sm, but not sure.
Originally Posted by Heaven88
A friend gave me that, I threw it away because it left my hair with a film plus my hair was dry.

Looking back maybe I shouldn't have , now that the dryness is solved

I think it the oil therapy had mineral oil and cones but don't quote me on that

Last edited by ttlolla; 05-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
I used to use this when I was relaxed and liked it. I haven't thought of it since I went natural. I'm pretty sure I still have a bottle somewhere...I'm curious to try it now!
I purchased the butter whip coil creme and love it for my twists. You can check out my review on my youtube channel or blog.

Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals
Lo-Poo: Elucence MB
Condish: Oyin HH
LI: Curl Junkie HBHB
Stylers: DB Avocado Honey TC, Curl Junkie CCCC, Eco-Styler OOG, Curl Junkie CIAB

Blog: www.naturaltwist.wordpress.com

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/symills07

Peace, Love and Natural

Originally Posted by naturaltwist
Thanks! I couldnt decide which one to get. I think I'll get the other now to compare.
Originally Posted by Stephiecurlz
I had the same issue with the Smoothie and milk. It was soon after I learned my hair was sensitive to protein, which unfortunately is in both. They made my hair soft at first then after awhile my hair was dry and brittle. Maybe your hair doesn't like protein either? Trial and error.

I looked up the Carson's feather whip cream online and the ingredients seem pretty nice! Some other reviewers experienced the filmy effect you did as well.

Best wishes on your hair journey!
Took so many pictures decided to get a Fotki!
I planned on doing a review on three product. On youtube , I will post the link when I do.

Sent from my MB525 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Stephiecurlz

Best wishes on your hair journey!
Originally Posted by Dimplesonme2
I have wondered if my hair is protein sensitive. I'm not entirely sure how to tell. I guess I fall in the 3c-4a category. Its somewhat course, but I'm learning course doesn't always mean protein sensitive. Are there other ways to tell?

Originally Posted by Stephiecurlz
Determining your hair's protein sensitivity is a matter of trial and error. Some people have said they have experienced halo frizziness, frizzy ends, unusual dryness, or brittleness to their hair from protein overload. I think with time you get to realize when your hair feels off.

I realized it after using some products that consistently dried my hair out with a brittley feel. I knew my hair was off and read the ingredients of the products that gave me those results The common factor was protein. I tested it out by comparing my hair's reaction to products with and without to be sure and I became convinced.

Originally Posted by Dimplesonme2
I will definitely try. Thanks!

Just an update, I was lazy last night and didn't retwist my hair, which I usually have to do to get a twist out to last more than a day. I figured I would have to wash this morning, but when I got up, my hair looked pretty good. I used the reviving spray and it made my curls perk even more. And the film is gone! Who knew? I'm a pretty happy girl today

Originally Posted by naturaltwist
I am using the butter whip coil creme too and it is a great product! The reviving spray and my hair are not working together- at all. I don't use the spray on my twist outs. My hair goes from being really defined to no definition at all... DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF A REALLY GOOD TWIST OUT. I've used the creme twice and my twist outs didn't give me 2-3 day hair. Recently I used the creme over a litle Eco Styler gel and the results are amazing. 2-3 day hair that is well moisturized. I hope that SSC doesn't change the recipe. I really like this product. I used to feel this way about Cantu Shea Butter before that was changed.

Originally Posted by Dimplesonme2
I will definitely try. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stephiecurlz
I have to figure out how to use the reviving spray... I don't spray directly on my hair anymore. I spray my hands and apply that way, it helps a little- I think.

Last edited by Umph; 10-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.