Ouidad's products: disappointment

I first started visiting naturallycurly.com a couple of months ago. I have been CG for almost two years now (August is my official anniversary). Up till recently I didn't know that there was life outside of Deva Curl, which I had been using exclusively. And then I visited Curlmart, and my inner product junkie was unleashed!

So in my quest to satisfy my PJ, I found a sample of Ouidad's Climate Control Gel in my first Curlmart order. I used it on the rainiest day of the season (at that point) and was AMAZED at how my hair behaved. So I ordered the Curl Confidence Collection from Sephora, which contained the CCG and a bottle of the Moisture Lock Leave In.

I must say, I have been disappointed the more I use these products! First and foremost, the 'cones! The ML has 'em, and I've been using them on my hair! I don't like wasting product, so I've been using the bottle until it's gone. (And I won't post it on the swap board because I don't like it so much). Then there are the scents--very strong, very antiseptic, very strange! I can't quite describe it.

The only product I'm going to keep buying is the Botanical Boost. The scent is a little lighter, and my hair seems to like it. It's also full of proteins, which my hair likes as well.

What are your experiences with Ouidad's products? Based on what I've seen on the forums so far there aren't too many raves.
3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
LI: MOP Leave-In
Sealant: JCOB
Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
Finishers: DCSIF
DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF
I tried some of her products many years ago, way before I found nc.com. I was so excited to find them, it seemed like all my birthdays had come at once and I was even quite happy to pay the postage here. I can't tell you how disappointed I was (matched only by my later disappointment with CK) nothing seemed to do anything for me, it was all so ordinary, sigh. I don't remember specifics as it was too long ago tho I do remember the deep conditioner giving me horrendous frizz. Much better stuff out there.
3b in South Australia.
Well, it's the 'cones.

I only used the conditioner once and then immediately took it back to Sephora, but I used the moisture lock LI and climate control gel for quite sometime. The LI I abandoned after a few months b/c I was getting build up from both the proteins and the cones. The climate control gel I've only recently stopped using b/c it too eventually built up, and although I low poo once a week for hard water, I really want to find a cone free gel that works for me the was cc did. I really liked its runny texture and the frizz control and hold that it gave me, and if it was only the water soluble cone then I would stick w/ it, but it also has straight dimethicone. I can get it out w/ something kind of harsh like KC come clean, but I don't want to fall into that cycle (the whole point of CG!). I still have a big bottle, so I think I'll use it in rainy, high humidity and high dew weather and then follow w/ KC come clean, but I don't want to rely on it as my staple gel.
3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
I was a complete idiot about Ouidad. Someone on some Web site was going on and on about how great it was, so I ordered the 12 minute Deep Treatment and loved it. So I dove right in and bought the WHOLE LINE. At first I loved it. Then I noticed my hair was becoming frizzier and frizzier by the day. I did a search, and found Naturallycurly.com and asked why Ouidad was drying me out so much. I had no idea it was so full of cones. I did a lot of research on this site, and decided to do the CG method. Of course, I got stuck with a lot of Ouidad product. I gave it to my mom who is in her 80's and wears her hair really short. I take it as a life lesson learned.
Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
I've never tried any of the Ouidad line, but I'm SHOCKED that with reviews like this, she is a regular contributor to nc.com (and not Lorraine Massey??). I also wonder how she gets her hair to look like it does.....
Ok....I love Ouidad. The products worked awesome for my hair. Don't mind the cones. Yeah sure I'd like to taper down on the cones. But my hair hasn't looked so good as when I was regularly using Ouidad products. The Kurly kids shampoo is a low poo and would get things out.

I don't use them too much anymore but basically due to cost. I love Climate Control and haven't found anything to replace it so I won't be giving that up anytime soon. I just clarify every once in a while to get it out. I also would get better 2nd and third day hair with it. You can't just went and reapply some other products let you. You either have to wash and start anew or just dampen, touch up and go.

Here's the thing Ouidad is NOT CG. So you can't do it and do the whole CG thing. They are different approaches to curly hair care. One is not more correct. It just all depends on what works for your hair.
For me, even when I wasn't modified CG I found her products a huge disappointment. Don't work, left my hair frizzy and dried it out.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high.
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I bought the shampoo, curl quencher conditioner and moisture lock leave in. I couldn't wait to use them up on my 3c 4a hair. The cones made my hair hard as a rock and I don't think the poo is sulfate free. I finally used up everything except the poo, but just using a no-cone conditioner and leave in caused my hair to be unbelievably soft. I won't be repurchasing. However, my hair is a total frizzball since not using the cones, so I'm trying to figure out how to cope with that.
3c/4a, low porosity
Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream
Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
Butters: NONE!
I feel like I needed to use more than one product for my curls to look good, but even then, I got a lot of build up. I would use the moisture lock conditioner again and slimnate control gel if they would get rid of the cones. I will already spend money on some DEVA products. I feel like more would spend money on Ouidad if they would modify their formula...I can't believe they haven't considered that yet.

I'm CG now...I briefly considered the deep treatment (CG approved) but not for the cost.....yea right.
*Shampoo - Tresemme Naturals (low sulfate) once every week or two.
*Conditioner - DEVA One (used for co-wash too). Yes To Carrots conditioner.
*Leave in - Garnier Fructis Clean styling cream & gel (DEVA gels are hit or miss depending on the weather. ULTA medium hold gel is also silicone free).
*Other likes - DEVA moisture lock spray, Ducks Clips (spray with gel first), diffuse 30 - 40%.

Originally Posted by Gibbsy777
I'm with you on the Deep Treatment. I just can't justify paying $50 for 8.5 ounces of a hair product--even if it is an HG for me.
3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
LI: MOP Leave-In
Sealant: JCOB
Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
Finishers: DCSIF
DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF
Originally Posted by JoliePoetique
Hi Jolie, I'm fighting frizz also and making some headway. Two brands that seem to be excellent to me are Curl Junkie and Spiral Solutions. Kathymack provides a huge number of samples at very low prices if you want to try various products. If you can find a post by Kathymack, you can click on her name and see what she offers. If you have any problem connecting with her, just pm me and I'll guide you through. Best of luck to you!
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high.
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Alas a dissapointment after all. I received a sample of the Ouidad Climate Control and at first really liked that it did knock down the frizz. I went to Sephora and left with a small bottle but after a few uses I find that it takes not only the frizz away but also the waves. Perhaps this would be better for curlier hair. I would not recommend it for wavy hair. I would need to bring out the curling iron but instead I will do a couple of washes and hope to find my waves again.
Originally Posted by JoliePoetique
Originally Posted by curlypearl
Wow thanks, I really appreciate it! I've seen kathymack's posts so I should be able to find her. Everyone raves about Curl Junkie so I'm going to have to break down and get some when my stash runs low. What do you use?
3c/4a, low porosity
Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
Butters: NONE!
Ouidad actually works well for me I learned this summer. I like the moisture lock, tress fx and the climate control. Oh and that pomade. I do use a sulfate shampoo so I don't get buildup, and my hair apparently thrives on protein which I learned after the fact was in a lot of the ouidad products.

The deep treatment isn't bad but that price made me balk. I don't get why it's so high.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
I used Ouidad stuff a long time ago, before finding NC.com. Tress F/X, Climate Control Gel, and Botanical Boost were my choice products.

I tried a 4oz bottle of the DT and it was just OK. Lasted me much longer than I expected that small bottle to last, and I was applying it generously to my hair when I used it. I have not repurchased it since using it up because I have found other DTs that I like as well or better for cheaper.

Botanical Boost I still use occasionally. I like it as a curl reviver, although I have not tried it recently for 2nd day hair. I should! Maybe it's the protein in it that gets along well with my hair. I have a couple of sample size bottles and I will probably get a f/s bottle to keep in the house when those are done.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I tried some of her products many years ago, way before I found nc.com. I was so excited to find them, it seemed like all my birthdays had come at once /.../ I can't tell you how disappointed I was
Originally Posted by Starmie
This was my exact reaction to Ouidad products I tried (Tress Effects and Climate Control). Oh how excited I was when I saw my favorite beauty store was carrying a line especially for curly hair! This was before I had learned about CG, of course. It had never occurred to me that curly hair needed a special care routine and special products. You can imagine my disappointment when these products just left my hair frizzy and crunchy.

My best guess is that your reaction to Ouidad products will depend on your reaction to 'cones. If they bother your hair then these products are just not worth it.
Hair type: 3a (Botticelli)

First DevaCut on 8/10/11 and my hair looks great!

Products:
DevaCurl No Poo
DevaCurl One Condition
Suave EverSleek DT
Still trying to find the perfect styling routine using AnGel, LA Looks Sport, and FOTE AVG.
Just purchased KCCC and excited to test it out!
I did the same thing with Ouidad as I did with Devacurl when I first found nc.com. I think Devacurl is a better product, but I didn't have luck with either one of them. I found Ouidad to be extremely overpriced for the quality of the product you get. I also don't like that it is full of cones.

I don't see what is so different about the line than any other salon quality product ... other than it is promoted by a curly haired owner.