-   -   Products for 2nd day hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/129407-products-2nd-day-hair.html)

itsiliii 07-08-2011 06:52 PM

Products for 2nd day hair

Hello everyone!

I am on the search for CG friendly products that I can use on second
day hair to smooth down/nourish any frizz or curls that went out
of place in the middle of the night.

I've never had much luck with putting products into my hair when its
still wet but it seems that, that is when most products should be used.
Any reccomandations?

Also, it'd help if they were items that I could purchase at target/cvs, not online, thanks! :toothy7:

JoliePoetique 07-08-2011 09:50 PM

You could try Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz. Some whole foods give samples. It can be applied to small sections of dry hair and will re-form smooshed curls. I'd sample first tho.

curlyhairmichuk 07-09-2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by itsiliii (Post 1712617)
Hello everyone!

I am on the search for CG friendly products that I can use on second
day hair to smooth down/nourish any frizz or curls that went out
of place in the middle of the night.

I've never had much luck with putting products into my hair when its
still wet but it seems that, that is when most products should be used.
Any reccomandations?

I have quite good luck with the CJ smoothing lotion - I scrunch/smooth a little of that in for second day hair and it works well. Sorry just noticed you wanted products you can get on the ground - spotted this from another thread :

"Garnier Fructis Surf Hair- I couldn't fine the actual price online, but when I bought it at Target, It was around $5.00
Pros-It gives awesome (and I mean Awesome) hold. Especially if it's a lazy, second-day hair. Some days, I just really don't want to deal with my hair, and all I do is slather on some of this good stuff, and I'm good to go! Plus, you don't need to use very much to get great hold."
Cons- Well, I couldn't think of any, sorry guys.

hippiechic81 07-09-2011 02:59 PM

I really like CJ Curl Fuel to help get my waves going. I also found scrunching my hair first with a wet washcloth helps get things going then I add my other products. Good luck!!:wave:

itsiliii 07-09-2011 09:23 PM

Thank you everyone! I hope more ladies put their two cents in, im such a product junkie- so the more suggestions the better! :read2:

I've heard so many good things about CJ, but the nearest retailer is nearly an hour away >.<

I think i might end up giving the garnier surf wax a try :p

hippiechic81 07-10-2011 07:51 PM

I've been having good results for 2nd day hair with L'oreal Out of Bed Texturizer (LOOB).

proctorsweetie 07-11-2011 02:17 PM

I can get 2nd, even 3rd day hair when I use Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie as a leave-in, followed by a dollop of Herbal Essences totally twisted gel. Although, I get the best results after I do a shirt-wrap for a few minutes and then a bun for about an hour, then I take my curls down and scrunch/air-dry. Works wonders!

itsiliii 07-11-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by proctorsweetie (Post 1714696)

I love Shea Moisture products! Even though they're a bit pricier than the average I think I may try more of their products!

I hear people raving about their smoothie all the time :o

Beebop 07-11-2011 08:32 PM

I spray hair with Lavender water and then scrunch in Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic and a little more Condition 3-in-1 mousse or Biotera gel.

gecko 07-11-2011 08:44 PM

My latest favs for smoothing dry hair: FSG or Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, few peas of conditioner or a few drops of oil mixed w/ FSG if it looks dry.

Rusycurly 07-11-2011 08:45 PM

My favorite one so far is CJ CCCC lite. I use a little bit on dry hair and it revives my curls right away.

itsKelCeeEee 07-12-2011 04:54 PM

I like the CURLS Creme Brule. It's a leave in/cream styler, so it gives moisture while helping maintain curls at the same time. Has a light hold and if there's a few ghetto pieces of hair that won't do what you want you can use the CURLS Goddess Curls to tame them.

Also, water in a spritz bottle can be your best friend for refreshing hair. Spray some water (not so your hair's sopping or anything like that, just enough to get the job done) and use your products and it'll help. If your hair doesn't do good taking in products while wet, try it while damp.

itsiliii 07-12-2011 10:22 PM

ah perfect! Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions ^^
Fortunately most of these products are found at nearby drugstores and targets. I hope I end up finding my HG styling product O.O

I hope many other girls find this thread useful :happy4:

CurlyCoilyMe 07-13-2011 06:20 AM

I saw this tip on TheMopTopMaven with spritzing the hair with rosewater and use a oil to seal the moisture in. I tryed it and sealed in with jojoba oil, and i loved it. It's long time since i have been able to keep my hair that defined and soft for so many days.

ladynoem 07-14-2011 09:05 PM

I used to spray my hair with rose water but my bf hates the smell. So now I use orange blossom water with same results. After a while I spray my hair again with my conditionner/water mix :) or simply water. I rarely put any gel on day 2

melaniesusan 07-18-2011 11:12 AM

I like the Marie Dean red clover/honey leave-in conditioner. A tiny bit applied to dry hair calms mid-day frizz and re-invigorates 2nd day hair. In summer, I can also use some of the heavier MD products (used sparingly) on dry hair, like MD curly styling creme. Both also work great on wet hair, used under a curl gelly/gel.

queenofdisks80 07-18-2011 11:27 AM

For frizzed out curls (i.e. needing moisture) I smooth on a little lustrasilk olive oil cholesterol treatment ($2 at Sally's). I barely wet my fingers w/ the product and then smooth down the curl, following the twist of the spiral. I also use the lustrasilk in a spray bottle w/ H2O and coconut oil and do the same method.

If my curls are more squished or deformed and not frizzed out, then I apply the same technique but w/ a spray bottle mix of H2O, aloe vera gel and Sally's colorful neutral protein filler.

I also like CJ smoothing lotion scrunched into dry hair in order to moisturize and give the overall look of my hair some life and bounce if it's been smushed down from sleeping.

mamaherrera 08-04-2011 04:45 PM

is the GArnier stuff CG friendly, anyone knows???
Also the shea butter stuff, where can I find that stuff???

I've heard others say to put a creamy thing in the hair before you wet it. Let s keep sharing ideas!

Beebop 08-05-2011 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by mamaherrera (Post 1735056)
is the GArnier stuff CG friendly, anyone knows???
Also the shea butter stuff, where can I find that stuff???

Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner is CG and is awesome and the shea moisture products are CG as well but I haven't tried them. HTH!

MirCurls 08-05-2011 11:46 PM

My go-to 2nd, 3rd, 4th day hair refresher is CJ Smoothing Lotion. I keep a back-up bottle, cause I use this on the go, too. Like when I know I'm out of the house all day, I have a small container I got at MAC for pigments, and I keep about an ounce or two in there for refreshing hair when out of the house.

CJ CCCC Lite works well as a refresher, but for me, not as good as the CJ SL.

SS Curl Enhancing Jelly works great, to as a hair refresher. It reclumps and adds some moisture and shine.

Those are the ones I use the most.

I suggest you try any leave ins you have at home. Any good CG leave-in conditioner should also be able to double as a refresher. How well it acts as such varies. I have used the CJ Beauti-Curls as a Refresher, and it works, just not as good as the Smoothing Lotion or the CEJ.

Try the stuff you have...see what might work. It just needs to be runny enough/not too thick, so you can smooth it between your hands then slick back and scrunch in hair.

A watered down bit of gel has worked for me, too, especially the SS FHG and the CJ Curl Queen (best refreshing gel, imo, as it has moisturizing properties and gives amazing shine.)

Might wanna try serums, too, if you have any handy. CJ Curls in a Bottle is worth a shot if you own any.