roller jaw clamps

I was wondering the same thing. These looked good, and they're cheap enough that it's not a risk.I like the curves on the teeth, which seem like they'd encourage curl.

Scunci Jaw Clips 37220-A - CVS pharmacy

Anyone try something similar? TIA!
Originally Posted by yossarian
In my quest to find something similar to the Frizzoff ones, I've tried those Scunci ones (both that smaller size and the larger octopus ones), as well as some that seemed like they'd be the same thing. (The irony, of course, is that I spent all that money because I was trying to save money and not get the Frizzoff ones!) The Frizzoff ones really are better; there is something about the spring on them that gives just the right amount of pressure to create "umph" and spring to your hair/roots.

I found two ways that seem to work best for me as far as using them. The first is to diffuse part-way, then add them to my roots as I let my hair air-dry the rest of the way. The second is on second- and third-day hair; I add them to my roots for about ten minutes after I shower and while doing my makeup, and they lift my roots. I like them so much better than clipping the Deva way!

I've also tried rolling up my hair in them like Jonathan does on the video, but that hasn't worked for my waves.

Sorry to be an enabler, but they really have worked well for me!
curlypearl and Weathercurl like this.
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

Those are the exact octopus clips that I have. When I used them for root lift, I used the mini-sized ones. They did a decent job. My concern is that since I have thin/fine hair at the roots, a larger clip would have a lot of empty space in it if I used one for that purpose.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
sorry for double post!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
PT: BASK Whiskey Soak

Last edited by yossarian; 06-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Originally Posted by LeanneM
Thanks so much for sharing your hard-earned wisdom, and saving me money and frustration! If it wasn't for that %*&# shipping charge, the Frizzoff ones wouldn't be unreasonable. No reason they should cost $8 to ship.

OK, Spiralli, you're on! Drop me a PM to arrange the transaction, and then I'll order them

i am such a sheep ... hangs head in shame ...
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
Originally Posted by yossarian
I know -- the shipping is so overpriced on these! If you can split a package, though, it sort helps with the cost!
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG

I just got 6 of these, and I think they're good! I wrapped all my wet hair in them, put on the bonnet dryer, and sat under for half an hour or so. The curls I got weren't as clumped/nice as when I plop and air dry, but they were nice and bouncy, if a little more separated -- perfectly fine, and a good solution for the cold weather.
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)
Darn. I just read all the posts here and watched the vid, and now I have to get some ;p Enablers! lol
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!

Scunci Jaw Clips 37220-A - CVS pharmacy

Anyone try something similar? TIA!

Originally Posted by LeanneM
Watch this

Btw have u tried the product she used in the video? Curl keeper
I've used both the octopus clamps and the CHS clamps and I just had better results with the CHS ones. When using the octopus clamps, my hair would curl around the handles and make it VERY tough to remove without getting caught and causing frizz. I broke down and purchased the ones from CHS and they work much better for me. More lift and no tangling.
JulesOnline

3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
RO/LI:
YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

I ordered the CHS roller jaw clamps and just got them this weekend. I tried them yesterday on wet hair right after putting in my gel. I diffused my hair with the clamps around the crown of my head and when I took them out....my hair was straighter where I put the clamps, not curly, and I had no lift at all! I am sure I used them wrong so tonight I am going to try it again and maybe wait until my hair is at least 50% dry then put the clamps in. We will see!
Originally Posted by lifescout
They work a lot better for me on dry hair when I'm going for second-day hair. I never use them on wet hair for the same reason, but on second- and third-day hair, they take care of all the flatness. I love them for that!
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG

Frizzoff.com is having $2 flat rate shipping with no minimum purchase- I think today is the last day! I ordered my roller clips and some more ck. can't wait to get them!
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip
Anyone in the UK can get Sibel brand roller jaw clamps from eBay for cheap. They work best for me after partial diffuser drying to prevent curl dropping.
I use the knock-offs of the Scunci ones - the knock-offs were only $2.99 for a 6-pack at Walgreens and they work GREAT for me. What I do is use them to refresh curls. I'll spritz hair with a bit of water, put some in for an hour or so, and voila - improved curls! Love 'em! I got a couple of Scunci ones to round the collection out to 8. No sense in spending more money if what one has that's cheap actually works. If it didn't work that would be a different matter LOL!